No announcement yet.

The Elk Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hoping to see this guys big brother in about 3 1/2 weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	STC_0073.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	24588498

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
      Appreciate the suggestions on boots, where’s the best place in Houston to try some of these.

I’m all about buying on-line but I need a place I can try them on etc.
      REI for a lot of them. Some of them, you wont find locally.

Comment

Appreciate the suggestions on boots, where’s the best place in Houston to try some of these.

For the salmons or lowa renegade or Camino REI. But they are Anti gun and anti Pittman-Robertson

I think the Zamberlan 996 is a better boot then all three I just mentioned above

Are you ex- military or first responder?

Comment

Originally posted by huntingfanatic View Post
          10 days before we head to Wyoming for archery antelope then on to Idaho for the Elk opener !
          We were down to 44 yesterday morning and 46 degrees this morning in Laramie.
          It's going to be chilly early mornings on the high plains for that antelope hunt.
          These temps should be getting the elk to start thinking about the rut too.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
            For the salmons or lowa renegade or Camino REI. But they are Anti gun and anti Pittman-Robertson

I think the Zamberlan 996 is a better boot then all three I just mentioned above

Are you ex- military or first responder?

I am not, but that is exactly why I wrote REI off my list years ago. I’m not against trying on there and then looking elsewhere.

Comment

Just try on as many pairs as you can. Ive had a pair of Oboz bridgers for two years and countless days of sheep hunting. I will buy them again.

Comment

I am not, but that is exactly why I wrote REI off my list years ago. I’m not against trying on there and then looking elsewhere.
                Your best deals are always online, assuming you know size and fit

Comment

Originally posted by unclefish View Post
                  I have had these boots for 4 years and love them. Virtually no break in was required.

I also had some Keen Targhee II as well and they were comfortable but the waterproofing was junk.
                  How has the waterproofing lasted on the salomon quest 4d 3 GTX?

Comment

Hate to just pimp Amazon, but they frequently have free returns on clothing for this reason. Also just saw a new thing recently where they send you up to 3 different sizes and you're expected to return the two that don't fit, for free of course.

Comment

I recently purchased the Lowa Renegades from REI on 249. They were helpful.

I tried the Solomon’s based on all of the recommendations but I immediately felt hot spots on my pinky toes. The lady helping recommended the Renegades as they offer a wide option and they fit like a glove. Price point is about the same. They do run small as I usually wear a 12 but ended up buying the 13W. Couldn’t be happier.

Headed out in a little over 6 weeks to hunt elk in first rifle season in Wyoming. This is my first big game hunt and my first out west. Super excited!

Comment

I wouldn't recommend getting a boot this late in the game that was to stiff, you just don't have enough time to break it in good enough. I try to buy my boots at least a year in advance. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          How has the waterproofing lasted on the salomon quest 4d 3 GTX?
                          I'm extremely hard on boots and usually have to replace after one year of use. I just took my year old Salomon Quest 4d 3 on a trip hiking British Columbia / Vancouver Island (Think damp, wet, walking on sponges) and never had any kind of moisture intrusion. For the price and immediate wearability, i dont think they can be beat.

Comment

I’ve not purchased a pair (yet) but the go-to boot for hunting here living in elk country are the Kennetreks. Bozeman-based company, right next to Simms fishing products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              I’ve not purchased a pair (yet) but the go-to boot for hunting here living in elk country are the Kennetreks. Bozeman-based company, right next to Simms fishing products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve got a pair that I’ve run the last four years, I love them. They have held up great and I’m hard on my boots as well

Comment

Originally posted by jaker_cc View Post
                                I’ve got a pair that I’ve run the last four years, I love them. They have held up great and I’m hard on my boots as well
                                I heard they were awesome, but also very stiff and required lengthy break in.

I went with Crispi Wyomings as the reviews said they were easier on break in they have a very ample toe box for my wide feet.

Comment

Working...
                                X