No announcement yet.

2019 Gardening thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Peppers coming in strong. Eggplant has been happy. Okra was rocking until deer got in the garden. They hit the okra first, peas and cucumbers next. Any watermelon that grows through the fence doesn’t last long.

Comment

Originally posted by Dushon View Post
      So what was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll never know. Dang thing got so freakin big and put on tons of flowers but never produced anything. So I put the mower on it about two weeks ago. Now I have my grass back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
        Peppers coming in strong. Eggplant has been happy. Okra was rocking until deer got in the garden. They hit the okra first, peas and cucumbers next. Any watermelon that grows through the fence doesn’t last long.
        I'm getting peppers out the wazoo! Banana, cayenne, bells(green and orange), jalapenos and shi****os all going strong. Most everything else is played out except for one grape tomato plant that looks like it will hopefully produce through first frost. Did get a little zuchini seed in the ground before the rain today. Eggplant is on the docket for next summer, those look good!

Comment

After 3 attempts at planting, what did finally come up was doing good until I fertilized it... Got a big rain and fertilize smooth burnt up the peas, tomatoes and peppers... Grass took over because of my wife's and my work schedule we were unable to keep ahead of it... finally gave up. Couple weeks ago, I put the round-up to it. Will burn it off hopefully in the next day or so, then turn everything under... A neighbor gave us a bunch of corn that he had extra... We put that up this weekend. Still got some peas and squash from last year's bounty, but gonna be store-bought veggies for us this winter, I'm afraid... Hope to add more top soil to the garden spot for next year to improve drainage, Lord willing...

Comment

Cleaning out the beds and getting ready for a fall planting. Several good lessons learned this year.
            1. Calcium is a must in the soil. Was only able to harvest about a good 60 of the 1000
            or so tomatoes we had due to "Blossom end rot". In fact we still have tomatoes
            producing but they are getting the rot right out of the gate. To late now to save.
            2. Flea beetles destroyed ALL of our tomatillos plants. Dr. Earths organic spray did not
            protect from these *******s. They eat little holes in the leaves eventually destroying
            all leaves.
            3. Peppers....probably slack back a little on these. Planted more than we actually eat and
            just to cheap at the market.No noticeable taste difference.
            4. Snow peas failed, don't like warm weather.
            5. Comsposting directly into garden....brought rats and mice who inturn destroyed our
            squash plants.

Comment

I just have a feeling mid September will be perfect to transplant. We shall see.

Michael

Comment

Been a long time since we had a Fall garden. What y'all thinking on planting? We may try this. Don't really know much about Fall gardening, but gonna read up on it some. My mom n dad used to plant 'taters n squash and lots of turnip greens and mustard.

Anyone else have anything else they like growing in the Fall? When to plant??

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                  Been a long time since we had a Fall garden. What y'all thinking on planting? We may try this. Don't really know much about Fall gardening, but gonna read up on it some. My mom n dad used to plant 'taters n squash and lots of turnip greens and mustard.

Anyone else have anything else they like growing in the Fall? When to plant??
                  Zuchini/squash, brocoli, lettuce, radish, spinach, carrots, green beans, and bunching onions are kinda my go to for my limited space in the fall. Peppers will go to frost for me usually. Beans and squash usually go in around Labor Day for me in North Texas and I wait a bit on the rest so I don't have to babysit them in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                    Zuchini/squash, brocoli, lettuce, radish, spinach, carrots, green beans, and bunching onions are kinda my go to for my limited space in the fall. Peppers will go to frost for me usually. Beans and squash usually go in around Labor Day for me in North Texas and I wait a bit on the rest so I don't have to babysit them in the heat.

Thanks for the input! Do you plant from seed or buy plants already started/start you own in a greenhouse?

Comment

This was my 2nd year in new garden spot and even though the rain washed trenches between my hills, production was great. Tomatillos were totally out of control. Probably harvested close to 1,000 off 5 plants. Put up or sold close to 80 quarts of red salsa out of my tomatoes. Brown crowders produced 3 pickings.( gonna plant more next year). Pulled app. 300 cantaloupes and Israel melons. Sold a bunch and still had a bunch ruin. I put up an e-fence and kept the deer out, but coons got all my watermelons. Wish I could post pics!!!

Comment

Thanks for the input! Do you plant from seed or buy plants already started/start you own in a greenhouse?
                        Pretty much everything from seed in the fall except for brocoli.

My brother has a small greenhouse that we use to grow transplants in the spring for our tomatoes and peppers. Everything else is direct sow into the garden.

Comment

Rocky, what'a matter you can't post pics? too big? or just don't know how? Be glad to try to help...

Comment

Don’t know how. Especially on my phone.

Comment

Rocky, what'a matter you can't post pics? too big? or just don't know how? Be glad to try to help...
                              Just don’t know how. Can text.

Comment

All the seed starters are in mini “green houses”! Will add corn and peas directly into the garden in a few weeks.

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X