No announcement yet.

2019 Select Baseball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little PSA for all the Parents out there - we had to shut my son down for at least 1.5 months or possibly this year due to G.I.R.D - Glenohumeral internal rotation deficit (GIRD) is an adaptive process in which the throwing shoulder experiences a loss of internal rotation (IR). GIRD has most commonly been defined by a loss of >20° of IR compared to the contralateral shoulder. My son is at >35%. If your son is a pitcher or throws a lot be on the look out. According to the two orthos we saw, it can be pretty common for boys right around or in puberty. Throwing harder, growing, over use and not taking precautions are all factors plus others. I think double duty of fall ball (first time we did it) and QB last fall was the culprit but no one really knows for sure. There was never an acute moment when he noticed. Just complained his arm was hurting after throwing. I finally listened after his last outing when he told me he knew his velocity was way off. He's now in PT 5 days a week at home with another office visit next week. The hope is he is progressing with range of motion/strength and could possibly start a throwing program to strengthen it in a coupe weeks. If he has to sit this whole year out he will. Best case he is back at the end of March. The good news is we caught it early before any real damage happened. Both docs said they same thing, "we don't care about Tommy John surgery. Guys come back stronger after having it. We really don't have good surgeries for this if it gets too advanced." Instead of doing rehab like us, I would strongly recommend "prehabing." Make sure your little guys are taking care of themselves and good luck this season.

Comment

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
      A little PSA for all the Parents out there - we had to shut my son down for at least 1.5 months or possibly this year due to G.I.R.D - Glenohumeral internal rotation deficit (GIRD) is an adaptive process in which the throwing shoulder experiences a loss of internal rotation (IR). GIRD has most commonly been defined by a loss of >20° of IR compared to the contralateral shoulder. My son is at >35%. If your son is a pitcher or throws a lot be on the look out. According to the two orthos we saw, it can be pretty common for boys right around or in puberty. Throwing harder, growing, over use and not taking precautions are all factors plus others. I think double duty of fall ball (first time we did it) and QB last fall was the culprit but no one really knows for sure. There was never an acute moment when he noticed. Just complained his arm was hurting after throwing. I finally listened after his last outing when he told me he knew his velocity was way off. He's now in PT 5 days a week at home with another office visit next week. The hope is he is progressing with range of motion/strength and could possibly start a throwing program to strengthen it in a coupe weeks. If he has to sit this whole year out he will. Best case he is back at the end of March. The good news is we caught it early before any real damage happened. Both docs said they same thing, "we don't care about Tommy John surgery. Guys come back stronger after having it. We really don't have good surgeries for this if it gets too advanced." Instead of doing rehab like us, I would strongly recommend "prehabing." Make sure your little guys are taking care of themselves and good luck this season.
      Understand completely.. glad to hear hes progressing and it wasnt worse.
      ..Tan throws his first ball in 6 weeks tonight...and it will be short and slow.

Comment

Originally posted by js4242 View Post
        Thanks and good luck to you guys

Comment

This weather looks miserable

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            This weather looks miserable
            Yep getting worse lol

Comment

We just got our ***** handed to us. Worst game I can remember sitting through. Pitchers struggled to throw strikes is an understatement.

Hope game 2 is better.

Comment

Good luck guys!!!

We Went 2-0 in a wet tacky early morning mist..
                First team we shoulda smoked out of the gate..but the boys decided to sleep in and let them get up 5-3.. then the opposing coach did the old top of the inning letting one kid warm up as pitcher then change him eattheclock move...
                Few of the kids picked up on our disgust with it and rallied the boys who went and destroyed 3 of their pitchers for the rest of the clock..
                Second game the boys beat a VERY good team of much bigger kids.. made a couple question their choices of wanting to play infield...
                Hope the keep it up tomorrow...
                Waiting on bracket position now. Sitting 3rd right now.. (2pm start tomorrow...that would be nice)

Tan got to catch to fiinsh the second game and was phenomenal..even if i didnt let him throw down to 2nd (not happy with me)..
                "His" pitchers (thats what he calls them) obviously missed him because their velo all went up with him back there..

His bat still sucks... crushing it in cage... frustrating as it is for us watching...its starting to eat at him..
                Thinking of telling him when he thinks a pitch is a ball to step in front of it...that way they will all become strikes and youll swing at it...
                Probably wont..but running out of pep talks..

Not sure what this weathers gonna do..
                Last edited by systemnt; 03-02-2019, 05:42 PM.

Comment

Well my son’s team went 2-0 today. They are in the platinum bracket but got the 8am game. Kinda screwy how they did the bracket in my opinion.

My son pitched today just one inning and threw 11 pitches. 7 strikes and 4 balls. He was in the zone today.

Comment

5seed championship bracket...gets the 8am game...against the team we played at 10pm last week...who got 12th seed..
                    (25 team tourney)...

Ugh.

Comment

2019 Select Baseball

I'm ready for baseball, but I don't envy you guys today, and I **** sure won't in the morning when I roll out and pour my coffee about 9.

Good luck to your boys, no use being miserable, AND losing. Gonna be a mental game tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

High of mid 50's ..rainy...cloudy....
                        Our boys thrive in it..mostly because thats all weve seen so far lol..
                        Heaters, jackets, and blankets loaded..

Comment

That looks a lot better than the forecast up here. 40 for the high and soggy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Our 8s were down 15-2 to a good team from Louisiana and fought back and won the **** thing 16-15 lol. Those boys played 2 basketball games at 11 and 1 and then the baseball game at 3. We have all long ran out of words to describe this group of boys.

They won the 2nd game 19-4 and play at 12 tomorrow if it doesn't get called.

My 11u had his hide tanned again in his 2nd game, it was ugly day of baseball for this group. Our pitchers couldn't throw a strike and it made it a tough day on the catchers.

They are scheduled to play 10a tomorrow, but I don't think we will end up playing.... a topic for a different day.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                              Our 8s were down 15-2 to a good team from Louisiana and fought back and won the **** thing 16-15 lol. Those boys played 2 basketball games at 11 and 1 and then the baseball game at 3. We have all long ran out of words to describe this group of boys.

They won the 2nd game 19-4 and play at 12 tomorrow if it doesn't get called.

My 11u had his hide tanned again in his 2nd game, it was ugly day of baseball for this group. Our pitchers couldn't throw a strike and it made it a tough day on the catchers.

They are scheduled to play 10a tomorrow, but I don't think we will end up playing.... a topic for a different day.
                              What happened? Was it a weather thing?

We won both games - 6 seed in platinum bracket. Playing at noon against a very good team. Pitching was okay. Defense was great and the bats had some decent hits, but the balls and baserunning is what separated us today. We threw strikes, the other teams didn’t.

Weather was effing miserable.

Comment

Good luck today guys...about to go wake the kiddo to dress out and head to park...

Comment

Working...
                                X