No announcement yet.

Lake Amistad 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's time fellas! Always take pics at my favorite Subway in Brackettville. Lol
    Attached Files

Comment

^^^^ I don’t see the amistad ramp sticker on there… don’t make me call the park service on you.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        ^^^^ I don’t see the amistad ramp sticker on there… don’t make me call the park service on you.
        Lol Port side!
        Attached Files

Comment

Good luck Joshua.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gemini2759 View Post
            Good luck Joshua.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk
            Thank you sir! Got my baby boy with me setup in our spots from last year. Buddy just text he got to camp and getting us setup there. Wife incoming early tomorrow morning after work and my middle boy inbound on Thursday. It's gonna be a heck of a time! Thanksgiving Turkey in camp with all the fixins, Elk in the sous vide tomorrow, making me hungry already I'd better shut up...

Comment

Starting off with some action. Real tall 8 trotted straight at me in my shooting lane this evening, I was frozen stiff not sure what to do. He stopped around 8 yards and looked at my backpack on the ground for a second then turned and trotted away. He had that "working a scrape line" look to him. Dark gray fur, healthy is the best way to describe him. After he split a small 6 chased two yearlings all over tarnation for 20 minutes. I may have taken the 6 if they ever held still long enough but he never stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                Starting off with some action. Real tall 8 trotted straight at me in my shooting lane this evening, I was frozen stiff not sure what to do. He stopped around 8 yards and looked at my backpack on the ground for a second then turned and trotted away. He had that "working a scrape line" look to him. Dark gray fur, healthy is the best way to describe him. After he split a small 6 chased two yearlings all over tarnation for 20 minutes. I may have taken the 6 if they ever held still long enough but he never stopped.
                Sounds like a good time. Good luck out there. Are you on a tripod?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Sounds like a good time. Good luck out there. Are you on a tripod?
                  Yessir, tonight I just went to last year's spot. Honestly not a lot of sign there so was really surprised to have the action. I was originally planning to go to a completely different spot tomorrow but I may have to go back now, got that buck on the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post

Wow, good action going on- keep us posted

Comment

Good luck

Comment

Any updates from today amigo?

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat00 View Post
                          Any updates from today amigo?
                          We generally don't hunt mornings. Woke up to see another camper trying to switch his battery with his camper and truck with a pair of pliers so went over to try to jump him. My jumper pack didn't do squat so I hooked up the truck and still didn't work. I left him my wrenches so he could try the battery swap even though we both figured it wouldn't work. He ended up getting their truck towed and having to stay another night. They're from Ontario and were supposed to leave today. Park Ranger came by to check our camp tags and we BSed for about an hour. He said hunter permits are down this year. I told him yeah you doubled the price lol.

Headed out around 2:30 for the evening hunt after wife had a nap, she worked last night and drove down after work, cracked open her first beer at 8:30am and said hey it's night time for me! We had 4 of us tonight and all had deer around. I went to a completely different spot and had a buck fly my me at mach 4, crash down to n front of me and his right front shoulder gave out, rolled hard got up and spun and took off. I thought for sure somebody had shot him but he passed by about 15 yards out and had a good look and didn't see any wounds. About 10 mins later I heard a grunt and a big bodied buck mosied on out from the same direction and strolled out into a canyon flat. I got up to go peak around the trees and there's 4 or 5 deer out there moving all over but they never made their way towards me. My buddy drew back on a small basket 8 and just as he settled in to release the buck up and bolted. He's using a ghost blind and it was super windy and thinks it spooked him. He saw 7 deer, 2 in range. My 17 year old tried to put the stalk on a doe and ended up almost getting a shot at a spike he didn't know was there. Wife had a doe and some yearlings bouncing around but they didn't provide a shot. Lake kicked up pretty gnarly on the way out, 20ish mph sustained from the NE and had some decent trailing swells coming back in, not a fan of trailing seas in my boat!

Darn good evening. Campfire going and we just slapped a slab of Elk fajita on the grill.

Comment

Think the permits are down due to the mouflon being almost eliminated IMHO…. You folks be careful out there when those north winds are kicking up the lake can get nasty

I will try to get out there tomorrow and rattle in a monster I have only done one hunt this year and my back/neck didn’t exactly like it so I will see how it goes…

Comment

Yeah and I'm sure a few skiddish due to the border situation too. You ain't joking about the nasty, I had to employ some maneuvers I'd only used in West Matty. I think these bucks will respond well to rattling right now, seems like everything's chasing and spunky. I didn't bring any antlers unfortunately.

Comment

10 year in a row Amistad streak now.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X