2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    Well I’d have to assume there’s a story to go along with the buck!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There is a story. Deer steps out. Hunter sees deer. Hunter shoots deer. Guy puts picture on TBH. We drool for 4 days. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Comment

It's a small world up in the pine trees

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
        There is a story. Deer steps out. Hunter sees deer. Hunter shoots deer. Guy puts picture on TBH. We drool for 4 days. Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

Lmao you got me. Really I’m curious as to his reaction when he first got the deer on camera if he did. Do you tell anyone? Do you call in sick to work for the next month? Can’t imagine what I’d do if that guy showed up in my spots.

Comment

I am in Polk county and for some reason a lot of East Texas hunters are like dove hunters. The early season dove hunters have a good shoot for a few days and the birds disappear and they chalk it up and never go back for the later half when the winter flocks show up and it gets really good. On my place the hunting can actually get better after the rut has passed. Now the bucks are hungry and start showing back up at the feed stations like they were before the rut really kicked off. When the food supply has been depleted and the harmones are starting to subside an old buck can slip up in the daylight just like being on a hot doe. I shot my target buck last year on Thanksgiving morning with his nose in the protein feeder. I had hunted every morning since the general season started and was the first time I had seen him in daylight.
          East Texas hunting can get tough after the first few weeks of the woods being full of human activity. Our deer seem to vanish by second week of November, so a lot of members don't hunt much after that. Usually by the second week of December hardly anyone goes to the lease and they start showing up again at the feeders. By Christmas they are hungry and hitting the feed hard.

I've hunted East Texas deer for the past 42 years. The first 20 years I didn't feed at all, not even hand corn. I hunted trails, scrapes, and especially oaks dropping acorns, usually filling 4 deer tags during October. It wasn't until I introduced my son to hunting that I started using feeders because it was easier to sit with him in a blind watching one. For about 10 years there I was a "feeder watcher" hoping to draw the deer to me, but just didn't see the quality or numbers of deer that I saw when I was actually "hunting for them".
          I still use feeders, mostly for hogs, but have pretty much gone back to hunting deer the way I learned how to and seeing more mature deer.

It's also nice to draw back on a calm deer instead of a nervous one around a feeder!

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
            East Texas hunting can get tough after the first few weeks of the woods being full of human activity. Our deer seem to vanish by second week of November, so a lot of members don't hunt much after that. Usually by the second week of December hardly anyone goes to the lease and they start showing up again at the feeders. By Christmas they are hungry and hitting the feed hard.

I've hunted East Texas deer for the past 42 years. The first 20 years I didn't feed at all, not even hand corn. I hunted trails, scrapes, and especially oaks dropping acorns, usually filling 4 deer tags during October. It wasn't until I introduced my son to hunting that I started using feeders because it was easier to sit with him in a blind watching one. For about 10 years there I was a "feeder watcher" hoping to draw the deer to me, but just didn't see the quality or numbers of deer that I saw when I was actually "hunting for them".
            I still use feeders, mostly for hogs, but have pretty much gone back to hunting deer the way I learned how to and seeing more mature deer.

It's also nice to draw back on a calm deer instead of a nervous one around a feeder!
            It sounds like you definitely know what your doing. East Texas can be very rewarding and at the same time be very humbling. The deer are smart and more times than not we are hunting on their terms not ours. Through the years I have found that you can definitely pattern a good buck, but you better be ready to clear your schedule and prioritize quickly while he is on a pattern. It could change the next day. Good luck to you sir.

Comment

It sounds like you definitely know what your doing. East Texas can be very rewarding and at the same time be very humbling. The deer are smart and more times than not we are hunting on their terms not ours. Through the years I have found that you can definitely pattern a good buck, but you better be ready to clear your schedule and prioritize quickly while he is on a pattern. It could change the next day. Good luck to you sir.
              Thank you.

Very true...East Texas can really be a challenge.

I always enjoyed getting on the tracks of a big buck and just following them to wherever they led me, even if it meant crawling on hands and knees through briar patches and thick brush. Doing so can lead you to some great locations you likely would not have discovered otherwise.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
                Well I’d have to assume there’s a story to go along with the buck!?

This is the link to the full story I just posted.

Comment

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
                  Yep. I always took my vacation the last week of October. Always looked forward to it like a kid does Christmas. The past few years though, I probably should have taken my vacation a week earlier.

After the past three weekends of scouting and hunting with discouraging results, I finally found where the deer are on my lease. They are concentrated on the few oaks that are dropping acorns, and traveling the routes between them. I'll be moving my portable stands accordingly ASAP.
                  Thanks for the insight - what makes you wished it would have been a week prior? No luck the last week of October or just a trend you are seeing?

Comment

still waiting to see some antler on my best 2 spots. hopefully you boys put down a couple good ones this weekend...good luck

Comment

Leaving the office at noon today and hope to be in Houston County in a tree by 3:30pm. Enjoy the cooler weather and good luck this weekend!

Comment

Had a new deer show up last night he was blowed out and broke up, this next few days should be fun

Comment

Originally posted by aggie11 View Post
                          This is the link to the full story I just posted.

https://discussions.texasbowhunter.c...3#post15874123
                          Very cool.

That buck is really something.

Congrats man.

J

Comment

Hoping to get to sit sometime this weekend. Work has been crazy so haven't done much hunting yet. Hopefully they're moving this weekend around south Toledo Bend

Comment

Someone is going to get a trophy - the pressure is perfect this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                At the new place you just leased? Dang. LOL

Yes [emoji1316]

Comment

Working...
                                X