No announcement yet.

Official Lake Georgetown Public Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing like having 2 black hogs sneak up on while scouting an area. Not use to being in the woods without a firearm. They took off after a loud yell at them, good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by NatureRules View Post
      Nothing like having 2 black hogs sneak up on while scouting an area. Not use to being in the woods without a firearm. They took off after a loud yell at them, good stuff
      Fair game come hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
        Fair game come hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Last year they were fair game as soon as we had a permit in hand. Hope that’s true again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Howdy all, any preferences on blinds out there? Trying to feel out what is best for this small area of public land.

Preferred Blinds
          - do you typically just make a blind out of bushes and sticks?
          - bring in a tent blind and just leave it up the entire season?
          - pack in a tent blind each time you go hunting
          - set up tree blinds?

Comment

Originally posted by WCARSON33 View Post
            Howdy all, any preferences on blinds out there? Trying to feel out what is best for this small area of public land.

Preferred Blinds
            - set up tree blinds?

Use the setup that works best for your spot. I’m gonna set out a pop up blind and a feeder on Friday and leave them up until the season is over.

Comment

Preferred Blinds
              - set up tree blinds?
              Depends on the location. The areas I have scouted range from thicket to open area, some with oaks others mainly cedar. I will have my feeder with me Friday and depending on where I end up will set up appropriate blind/stand.

Comment

Very awesome. And any specific etiquette for tracking a hit deer out here? Seems inevitable that if you stick one then you will be walking through peoples spots to retrieve the downed deer. What is the preferred method to make the least disturbance on everyone else's hunt?

Comment

Very awesome. And any specific etiquette for tracking a hit deer out here? Seems inevitable that if you stick one then you will be walking through peoples spots to retrieve the downed deer. What is the preferred method to make the least disturbance on everyone else's hunt?

Do what you can to make buddies with the people in your area. Exchange numbers with hunters you encounter while setting up. Everyone who I’ve met out here has been super cool. If you have to encroach on someone’s spot it’s best if you’re able to let them know. I’ve even helped my neighbors track dead animals on the my hike out.

Comment

Excited

I have been getting is some good scouting over the last couple of weeks, got a couple of other spots to check this afternoon, now to just figure out which spot to go to first tomorrow after getting the permit. I have either seen deer or evidence at every spot along with seeing some hogs. Don't think there is a bad spot anywhere along the lake but I am sure some are more productive than others, hope I get lucky and the spot I end up with will produce. Good luck to everyone and will see some of you tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by topduarte View Post
                      Not in this year. When is the orientation for back up chances. If I dont make it as a back up I will help any newbies with my area off 3406
                      When I was on standby a couple of years ago I went to the regular orientation and they let in all of the guys/gals that were drawn. Then they came out said there are 13 place open and they gave us tickets. Then they drew the tickets and if you got drawn you were in. I was the 12th number called so I barely made it.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post
                        Do what you can to make buddies with the people in your area. Exchange numbers with hunters you encounter while setting up. Everyone who I’ve met out here has been super cool. If you have to encroach on someone’s spot it’s best if you’re able to let them know. I’ve even helped my neighbors track dead animals on the my hike out.

I'm up by Tejas Park for now. Added my TBH user name by my permit # on the feeder if anyone needs to look me up. Can't wait for that first cool front to get here. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddylee View Post
                          I'm up by Tejas Park for now. Added my TBH user name by my permit # on the feeder if anyone needs to look me up. Can't wait for that first cool front to get here. Good luck to everyone.
                          Met you in line,what section did you end up in?

Comment

Learn as you go

First time game dolly user.

Well I beat the crap out of my game dolly yesterday. My location is about a mile in from where I park and the trail is full of ups and downs and jagged rock. I loaded the game dolly down with two bags of feed and my feeder. As I get about halfway I start hearing some of the feed hitting the ground/rocks, apparently I snagged the bag on the rocks causing it to rip. Big lesson learned is to put something on top of the rack so that the rocks don't rip the bag.

I have to give the "Game Winner" dolly a good 4 out of 5 as it stayed together as I pulled and beat it against the rocks along the trail. I will need to modify it a bit to make it a bit quieter.

Hope everyone is getting set up as opening day will be here before we know it. Best of luck and be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by NatureRules View Post
                              First time game dolly user.

Well I beat the crap out of my game dolly yesterday. My location is about a mile in from where I park and the trail is full of ups and downs and jagged rock. I loaded the game dolly down with two bags of feed and my feeder. As I get about halfway I start hearing some of the feed hitting the ground/rocks, apparently I snagged the bag on the rocks causing it to rip. Big lesson learned is to put something on top of the rack so that the rocks don't rip the bag.

I have to give the "Game Winner" dolly a good 4 out of 5 as it stayed together as I pulled and beat it against the rocks along the trail. I will need to modify it a bit to make it a bit quieter.

Hope everyone is getting set up as opening day will be here before we know it. Best of luck and be safe.

Well, should have just kept going and made a corn trail all the way to your spot for the deer to follow. As a bonus, the load got lighter as you went, lol.

Comment

Originally posted by zins708 View Post
                                Well, should have just kept going and made a corn trail all the way to your spot for the deer to follow. As a bonus, the load got lighter as you went, lol.

Funny thing, I did have a nice trail for about 35 yards. Learn as you go, still better than being at work. LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X