Benbrook 2021-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Benbrook 2021-22

the deadline passed on Friday and they posted the lucky winners today. We got lucky and got Hunt 6 This year. A good time but out annual crane hunt falls that first weekend.

No luck for me getting drawn this year. Good luck to the rest of y'all!

Comment

Sorry Kev, better luck next time.

Comment

Bill, let me know when and where the crane hunt is. I'll volunteer to do it for ya.

Comment

Got pictures of the hunt list?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I just drove through Dutch Branch Park and saw about 30 deer. One nice group of 5 bachelor bucks with a couple looking like they'd push 140".

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
              I just drove through Dutch Branch Park and saw about 30 deer. One nice group of 5 bachelor bucks with a couple looking like they'd push 140".
              Yah, those are a long way from the legal hunt areas.

They getting crowded into tiny zones with all the development that's been going on out there over the last 20 years. More so over the last 10 with the golf course and development going in on the west side. And all the housing on the east side along Old Granbury Rd. City of Ft Worth city limits extends all the way down to 1187 on south end. It will be all houses one day. And that area on west side of 377 is the last of the true prairie lands of the area. Going up in housing.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Yah, those are a long way from the legal hunt areas.

They getting crowded into tiny zones with all the development that's been going on out there over the last 20 years. More so over the last 10 with the golf course and development going in on the west side. And all the housing on the east side along Old Granbury Rd. City of Ft Worth city limits extends all the way down to 1187 on south end. It will be all houses one day. And that area on west side of 377 is the last of the true prairie lands of the area. Going up in housing.

The only thing keeping the west side from becoming housing is the Sid Richardson foundation owning the surrounding property. I talked to The Texas Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and Anglers about trying to contact the Sid Richardson foundation to try to get them to hang onto it because the foundation has donated public land to Texas Parks and Wildlife in the past, but I never have heard anything back from BHA.

Its definitely weird/annoying to apartments going up off Alsbury where you used to see deer on that hill by the Chisolm trail tollway. But thats progress I guess.

That said, I don't think theyll ever develop the 377 side, but I could be wrong. It does sit below the flood plane though.

Comment

I got drawn for hunt #4. I guess it's time to get serious with the scouting!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

West side of 377 is what I'm mostly talking about. Between the Clear Fork/FM 1187 and White Rock golf course or 2871. And west of there. It was designated some of the last of the prairie lands in the area many many years ago. It's all been surveyed now and being dozed for streets and development.

The old ranch on the east side of 377 between Dutch Branch and Tiger Trail will probably stay intact for a while.

The dove used to follow the roads going south out of Ft Worth till they hit the valley that feeds into Richardson Slew drainage. Before the pump house was built, you could sit along the creek and kill tons of dove every year during the first two weeks of the season. They would funnel right down that drainage on the east side of the tracks, going to the lake in the evenings. After two weeks of being shot at, they learn to skirt the tops of the drainage along the fence lines. Or fly at 500 feet up.

Lots of area I miss out there since it's no longer on the hunting map. Benbrook was the first public lands I ever hunted back in the early 1980s. Because it was all I could afford. I eventually became friends with one of the long time rangers there (25 years), Scott Tackett, before he moved back to Arkansas. But he would write his mother a ticket if she parked wrong out there . By the book sort of feller.
                    Last edited by Texas Grown; 08-17-2021, 04:55 PM.

Comment

It’s tough to see all of these developments take shape. Benbrook Lake was just down the road from us when I was a youth. It sure felt like going ‘way out in the country’ to get to the lake back then. Urban sprawl has been like lava flow out that way for a while.

Not sure if I got drawn this year. Good luck to those who do!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                        West side of 377 is what I'm mostly talking about. Between the Clear Fork/FM 1187 and White Rock golf course or 2871. And west of there. It was designated some of the last of the prairie lands in the area many many years ago. It's all been surveyed now and being dozed for streets and development.

The old ranch on the east side of 377 between Dutch Branch and Tiger Trail will probably stay intact for a while.

The dove used to follow the roads going south out of Ft Worth till they hit the valley that feeds into Richardson Slew drainage. Before the pump house was built, you could sit along the creek and kill tons of dove every year during the first two weeks of the season. They would funnel right down that drainage on the east side of the tracks, going to the lake in the evenings. After two weeks of being shot at, they learn to skirt the tops of the drainage along the fence lines. Or fly at 500 feet up.

Lots of area I miss out there since it's no longer on the hunting map. Benbrook was the first public lands I ever hunted back in the early 1980s. Because it was all I could afford. I eventually became friends with one of the long time rangers there (25 years), Scott Tackett, before he moved back to Arkansas. But he would write his mother a ticket if she parked wrong out there . By the book sort of feller.

Good grief, I meant the EAST side of the lake, not the west. I’m getting old!

Mike, do you know John Nicholson? He’s a tough old bird, but he used to work the Richardson place back when they ran cattle on it regularly.

Comment

Congrats Pio
                          Congrats Leon

I struck out this year...very disappointed.

Comment

I know where the old dairy was. I haven't been back to the dairy office building in a while. But last I saw it, it was growing trees. I imagine it's a pile of rocks now. The foundation to the barn can still be seen when the lake level drops 2 or more feet. It let's one of the corners stick out of the water along the shore.

Comment

Struck out this year too. Second year in a row of not getting drawn. Bummed about that cause I had finally dialed a good spot on my last year of hunting and had a target buck that never quite got close enough. Congrats to everyone drawn!

Comment

Working...
                              X