I need my own hunting property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Radar View Post
    You are on a vacation lease, ain’t none of them fellers care about hunting. They just out there escaping work and home life.
    My thoughts exactly. Just an escape from their own miserable home lives.

Comment

I had a lease MANAGER that would sleep in late and then zoom by my stand at 7:45, after I had been on the stand for 1.5 hours....

When I finally got sick of it, he got all butt hurt and tried to defend himself.....

We bailed on that lease fast.....and the deer were scarce anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
        So this is my 3rd year on my lease and have to say it's getting a little challenging. There are 6 of us on 900 acres and it just seems like they have a completely different hunting style.

I am a quiet, get in the stand early and sit kind of guy and all these guys do is ride around in UTVs looking for deer pushing everything all over. Then come back to camp and complain that they see nothing.

Last year I put my time in and shot a nice 11 point buck. Biggest the camp has seen in years so I am told. Now all these guys want to do is drive near where I setup and look for a big one. I voice my opinions and am told to "take it easy we are all just having fun" I get in hours before sunrise then see them drive by my stand at 8:30......

We just brought on a new member on and he is looking to setup a blind.......400 yards from my setup. since thats "where the big ones are"

Rut is here and I am trying to plan my hunts and it's super difficult with this scenario. Our property has adjacent leases and all I do is hear shots going off like crazy since my members are pushing them all off.

So rant over. Next year I guess I will setup a little closer to the property line and not say anything.

Hard pass on that setup lol. Good luck

Comment

Leases blow

Comment

One of the best things I have ever done in my life is buy my own hunting property! Wasn't the easiest thing to do but well worth the trouble!

Comment

Another pet peeve is that magically, opening day everyone needs to drive out to their blind and swap cards, fix feeders, scout new spots, repair blind windows, etc. You literally have months to do this but wait until I'm in the woods hunting to do so.

Another one is night hunting hogs. I don't care if there is a dedicated spot to do so, but to rip through the fields at 12 am cruising for pigs is just pushing our AM deer off the land. Once again, do this during the off season.

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.
              You can triple that size or more, north of the Red River if the commute is an option! I feel for you, these same types of issues drove me to buy my own place and it turned out to be one of my best decisions ever!

Comment

Not sure where you are hunting. But, 7 guns on 900 acres could be excessive. I think 3 guns on 900 acres would be a better fit. Sounds like a losing challenge.

Comment

Well I’m off the lease.

Turns out they gave me the boot because I “take this too seriously” and they are just looking to hang out and have a good time. Aka drink and shoot deer from camp.

2020 lease or property search begins
                  They kicked you off the lease in November? Did they refund your $$? Sorry to hear that

Comment

I’ve been on good leases that had great opportunities for getting game with some decent men. I was on a place that my family (wife and kids) finally enjoyed only to find out the hunters in the place were garbage. They drove around looking for animals to shoot, changed rules often, and drank throughout the day. It was a shame leaving that place mid season b it was the best thing I could do. I hope to find a place of my own one day between Medina to Gillespie County to relax and get some good hunting in. Best of luck in your search.

Comment

If they're looking to fill your spot I need a good beer lease

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Comment

The ONLY thing WORSE than being ON a lease like yours is ORGANIZING and TRYING to OPERATE a lease and TRYING to keep it from turning INTO yours.....trust me....done both..... MUCH better to be ON....(because at least you have the option to get O F F)..

Btw, depending upon the location/lay of the land, there are ways to use the characteristics of these type of "hunters" to your advantage.....
                        Last edited by Slicefixer; 11-23-2019, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by houhunter View Post
                          I bought a little 40 acre tree farm 1hr 40min from the house. Killed this guy Tuesday. You have NO idea how much nicer it is when you do your own thing. I used to lease close to where I bought land and was sick of the rules only applying to certain people and all the BS. You better believe staying quiet and stealthy helped me get this guy.
                          I think I need to find myself a tree farm!
                          You are right, you don’t need a large piece of land to kill a big deer.

Comment

Go the barber shop and tell the barber you want all his hair for the day he sweeps up go sprinkle it all around the other guys stands and feeders this will keep deer away for months. Ummmmmm. This is what happened to my buddy and several of his lease members removed a guy who could not fit in.

Comment

At my lease we can hunt any stand after Thanksgiving. It chaps me when someone hunts my stand with wrong wind. But I am not **** about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
                                You are on a vacation lease, ain’t none of them fellers care about hunting. They just out there escaping work and home life.
                                Yep. I think you need to find another place to lease and if it’s too big find some guys like you to share. Buying property ain’t always the answer.
                                I enjoy the bigger lease to explore and improve with my friends.
                                Our place didn’t have a ton of deer when we started 10 years ago, but now it has improved on numbers and quality. But we don’t hunt there for B &C deer, just mature bucks. And turkeys and doves not as plentiful on our own ranches.
                                FYI I have my own place but I enjoy hunting different type of country with friends.
                                Last edited by Big pig; 11-24-2019, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X