I need my own hunting property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this is my 3rd year on my lease and have to say it's getting a little challenging. There are 6 of us on 900 acres and it just seems like they have a completely different hunting style.

I am a quiet, get in the stand early and sit kind of guy and all these guys do is ride around in UTVs looking for deer pushing everything all over. Then come back to camp and complain that they see nothing.

Last year I put my time in and shot a nice 11 point buck. Biggest the camp has seen in years so I am told. Now all these guys want to do is drive near where I setup and look for a big one. I voice my opinions and am told to "take it easy we are all just having fun" I get in hours before sunrise then see them drive by my stand at 8:30......

We just brought on a new member on and he is looking to setup a blind.......400 yards from my setup. since thats "where the big ones are"

Rut is here and I am trying to plan my hunts and it's super difficult with this scenario. Our property has adjacent leases and all I do is hear shots going off like crazy since my members are pushing them all off.

So rant over. Next year I guess I will setup a little closer to the property line and not say anything.
    Last edited by Turbo6; 11-08-2019, 11:36 PM.

I feel your pain...last year I was on a lease with good potential. Unfortunately, the SxS convoy was a nonstop day and night, music blaring, drunken cruise up and down the road. Apparently the rules meant nothing to anyone...I don’t give a hoot how much someone drinks at the lease, but the SxS riding while drunk and blaring music was nonsense. I decided to take a break this year and I’m hunting at my in-laws farm. Next year I may give it a shot again, I just hope I can find a place where they at least respect other lease members

Comment

We have rules that don’t allow you to ride around during peak hunting times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Turbo6 View Post
        So this is my 3rd year on my lease and have to say it's getting a little challenging. There are 6 of us on 900 acres and it just seems like they have a completely different hunting style.

I am a quiet, get in the stand early and sit kind of guy and all these guys do is ride around in UTVs looking for deer pushing everything all over. Then come back to camp and complain that they see nothing.

Last year I put my time in and shot a nice 11 point buck. Biggest the camp has seen in years so I am told. Now all these guys want to do is drive near where I setup and look for a big one. I voice my opinions and am told to "take it easy we are all just having fun" I get in hours before sunrise then see them drive by my stand at 8:30......

We just brought on a new member on and he is looking to setup a blind.......400 yards from my setup. since thats "where the big ones are"

Rut is here and I am trying to plan my hunts and it's super difficult with this scenario. Our property has adjacent leases and all I do is hear shots going off like crazy since my members are pushing them all off.

So rant over. Next year I guess I will setup a little closer to the property line and not say anything.
        There are hunters.............then there are these guys..........unfortunately.....

Comment

I'm with you the three of us ought to find us one.lol

Comment

That can be extremely frustrating, but it doesn't sound like you can get them on your same wavelength. Good luck to you.

Comment

all reasons that I bought my own place. nothing but foot traffic except after dark or on the county road while I'm hunting

Comment

Yup that's tough. I think the right like minded group is just as important as the quality of the lease itself. I took a 3yr break and just got on 1200ac in Rocksprings this year. There are only 4 of us and one extra spot that is just paid for by another hunter. The rules are strict and include no joy riding through the woods during hunting hours. The last group broke the rules I think. These multiple strict rules made this place a **** zoo now. It is incredible! Good luck to you

Comment

One of the many reasons I bought my Slice of Texas. Told the wife that our place would be a non-gun hunting place so she needed to get either a bow or a Xbow. She opted for the Xbow. We dont ride around, we walk at our place. We dont shoot guns or play loud music.....ever. I can't control what my neighbor does, but I can control what happens at my place. Best of luck

Comment

Another pet peeve is that magically, opening day everyone needs to drive out to their blind and swap cards, fix feeders, scout new spots, repair blind windows, etc. You literally have months to do this but wait until I'm in the woods hunting to do so.

Another one is night hunting hogs. I don't care if there is a dedicated spot to do so, but to rip through the fields at 12 am cruising for pigs is just pushing our AM deer off the land. Once again, do this during the off season.

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                      There are hunters.............then there are these guys..........unfortunately.....

X2. Sounds the guys I have hunted with before. Drink all day and just shoot from the road. Take a picture and tell a big story.

There are true hunters and then the guys who do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=Turbo6;14495939]Another pet peeve is that magically, opening day everyone needs to drive out to their blind and swap cards, fix feeders, scout new spots, repair blind windows, etc. You literally have months to do this but wait until I'm in the woods hunting to do so.

Another one is night hunting hogs. I don't care if there is a dedicated spot to do so, but to rip through the fields at 12 am cruising for pigs is just pushing our AM deer off the land. Once again, do this during the off season.

I really don't have any place else to hunt. Would love to buy my own place but can only afford a 30-40 acre parcel and just feel like thats not large enough.[/QUOTE

30 acres in the right spot is plenty, believe me

Comment

ugh all of that sounds awful. Maybe tell the lease owner? Really there should be some basic rules since there are probably guys that don't know any better. That should be on the lease owner though. They should spell them out real clearly so that all of their tenants are happy.

Comment

Good lease’s and people are out there, you just gotta shop around. The lease your on is not going to change, time to start shopping. It’s like some jobs, that lease will work until something better comes along.

Comment

Then there are those that like to ride around all night drinking beer and spotlighting varmints and coons at everybody else's feeders. They don't seem to think that this activity pushes the deer out or affects other peoples daylight hunting. Aw, we just shooting .22 rifles that don't make no noise. There's a reason for having lease rules and one strike your out!

Comment

Working...
                              X