No announcement yet.

What do you do with your hide?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have only tanned my first whitetail many years ago. It is nailed to the wall at hunting camp. I have had only a few of my Axis hides tanned. I usually give them to the man who lets me hunt Axis on his land. He has them tanned and sells them. Good big Axis hides, with no holes( neck shot) are worth $200.

Comment

I am going to drop my hide off to be tanned and once I get it back, I want to make that rifle case I mentioned earlier...Anyone know how to make soft rifle cases?

Comment

Tails and some other sections I save to tie flies. A bucktail runs about $15

Comment

What’s the cost to have one tanned. I’d like gloves or something

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
            What’s the cost to have one tanned. I’d like gloves or something
            I have not visited this guy yet, but a buddy says he has been these with good reviews. North Texas Tannery located in Denton. $40 for a hide, $50 for a cape. Seems pretty good, but I've heard it's comically slow, so I'm expecting it to take about 8 months.

Comment

It does take that long.

Comment

That really wouldn't bother me if I wanted a hide saved...do they want you to salt it & roll up frozen??

I'm really not sure of the correct hide saving / prep process??

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  I have not visited this guy yet, but a buddy says he has been these with good reviews. North Texas Tannery located in Denton. $40 for a hide, $50 for a cape. Seems pretty good, but I've heard it's comically slow, so I'm expecting it to take about 8 months.
                  This is where I get my hides tanned. I wish they had an express option even if they charged more. Sometimes I wonder if they are just waiting until they have a whole bunch and then have it done overseas or something. Wait time is absurd.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    That really wouldn't bother me if I wanted a hide saved...do they want you to salt it & roll up frozen??

I'm really not sure of the correct hide saving / prep process??
                    Well, mine has been in a freezer for about a month. I'm not sure of the process either, but I am pretty sure you're supposed to freeze until step 1, which to my understanding is thawing and then adding salt.

I plan on giving it to them frozen and letting them deal with it.

Comment

I tanned the hide from my daughter's first buck, she didnt know how she wanted to use it so I agreed to make her some throw pillows to decorate her room. Which reminds me I still need to make those pillows.

Comment

Definitely a long time to wait but the price is great. It would be cool to have a quiver made from the hide.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexHunter8 View Post
                          Definitely a long time to wait but the price is great. It would be cool to have a quiver made from the hide.
                          I was thinking a rifle sling as well from the same hide to match the rifle case.

Comment

I’ve heard good things about them. If I ever get a bobcat I’ll take the hide to them

Comment

I probably have 100 or more hides laying around. End tables, dressers, couches, rugs, pillow s, and gifts.

Comment

Well, mine has been in a freezer for about a month. I'm not sure of the process either, but I am pretty sure you're supposed to freeze until step 1, which to my understanding is thawing and then adding salt.

I plan on giving it to them frozen and letting them deal with it.
                                Just mail it to them frozen. Wait time is long but price is right.

Comment

Working...
                                X