No announcement yet.

100 Yard Shooting Range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

City of Beaumont has put in a 50 yard outdoor range at Tyerrall Park. With targets also set at 10 yard increments. Love shooting the 50 yarder, can see the arrow flight down to the target

Comment

Originally posted by BillDecker View Post
      City of Beaumont has put in a 50 yard outdoor range at Tyerrall Park. With targets also set at 10 yard increments. Love shooting the 50 yarder, can see the arrow flight down to the target
      That's the coolest thing I've heard the city do in a long time

Comment

Yes it surprised me, but a young lady (13-14 year old) with 4-H, and Lamar University Archery team, put together a proposal and presented it to council. Council liked the idea and ok'd the construction.

Comment

I do love some long range practice. Makes the short shots feel easy.

Comment

I see lots of comments about the range but not any on how accurate you are at 100 yards.

I commonly shoot at 60 on target and feel great at 30 and would consider a 40 yard shot.

I shoot a heavy arrow so it cast good and when I do miss my target I actually penetrate my backstop even better at 60 yard then I do at 20. Don't know all the physics but that how it works (hell on the arrows when I miss).

So, my question is RickBarbee, how accurate are you at 100, and what is your comfort range on taking an deer?

Comment

Originally posted by J-Fish View Post
              I see lots of comments about the range but not any on how accurate you are at 100 yards.

I commonly shoot at 60 on target and feel great at 30 and would consider a 40 yard shot.

I shoot a heavy arrow so it cast good and when I do miss my target I actually penetrate my backstop even better at 60 yard then I do at 20. Don't know all the physics but that how it works (hell on the arrows when I miss).

So, my question is RickBarbee, how accurate are you at 100, and what is your comfort range on taking an deer?
              You're talking stickbows I assume, because that's what we're using, and talking about here.

This is the first time in a very long time, that I've shot from 100 yards with any regularity. This is my hunting rig, and it really isn't set up for that kind of distance shooting.

Right now I'm holding the line inside a 2.5ft spread, and the distance inside about an 8ft spread, but I'm just getting started.

As far as my comfort zone on shooting deer is concerned - While I can be accurate much farther (I've killed a couple of whitetail, and a few muledeer at 50 plus), my comfort zone is 25 yards & in. I came to realize, that the animal just has to much time to move when the arrow has to travel more than 30 yards or so, but again we're talking stickbows here.

With a sighted compound - Meh. Piece of cake at 100 for milk jug accuracy.

Rick

Comment

Yesterday evening late, I was practicing shooting at a 2 liter soda bottle at 100. I got in probably 30 shots before it got to dark to see.

I regularly shot within 2 - 2.5 ft of the bottle, and knocked the snot out of it several times, but never punctured it.

The shoulders on my target points are such that the incoming angle of the arrow makes them glance off the bottle.

Today's a new day, and I'll be using VPA SGT (small game thumpers) on them arrows. Them SGT's grab no matter the angle.

Rick

Comment

Once you get things dialed in, might be cool to put one of your DIY lighted nocks on and do some video from each direction. Or, maybe put a flour-filled balloon on there that would make a neat explosion when hit.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                    Once you get things dialed in, might be cool to put one of your DIY lighted nocks on and do some video from each direction. Or, maybe put a flour-filled balloon on there that would make a neat explosion when hit.
                    Don't have any lighted nocks for these arrows, but I'll do the filming during a time of day where the light will show the arrow in flight real well (I hope).

When I get serious about it, I will be shooting an exploding bottle with blue pop line chalk in it. Should make for a pretty cool show.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                    X