New Flemish String Jig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChadMR82 View Post
    Rick if you decide to sale them let me know. I have been in the market for a nice jig and this is awesome. Shipping would be to my indiana zip code of 46158.
    I'm thinking serious about building them for sale.
    Have been researching different materials, and looking at ways to keep cost down. We'll see.

I built me a new string on this one, and hit the length almost spot on for brace height. I say almost, because I had to let out three twists to be at my exact brace height.

It's an experimental string, that is showing some real promise:

First of all, it has lost no brace height after about 100 shots, and setting braced all night.

Second of all, it is faster than the old string by quite a bit. I haven't chronographed it, but it is shooting about 8 inches high at 30 yards, which used to be my point on, and I know it's the speed, and not the tune getting me there.

Thirdly, it's the quietest (by far), than any FF string I have ever had on my bow.

I was shooting it yesterday evening as my daughter got home from school.

She asked: "Dad, is that a different bow?"

I said: "Nope."

She said: That thing is whisper quiet. Way quieter than before.
    (That's saying a lot, since it was already pretty quiet)

Then asked, what did you do?

I said: Different string.

She said: "You better leave it alone now !"

Rick

Comment

Rick I recently realized what y'all told me a while back. Nock fir and string make a tremendous difference in arrow flight and noise. After trying four different strings on one bow it became apparent. A loose nock fir may be inconvenient but makes a positive difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
        Rick I recently realized what y'all told me a while back. Nock fir and string make a tremendous difference in arrow flight and noise. After trying four different strings on one bow it became apparent. A loose nock fir may be inconvenient but makes a positive difference.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
        Yep.

I like my nocks just snug enough, that a two finger light tap will pop the arrow off the string when hanging straight down.

Nock fit is part of tuning, and a very important part at that.
        To loose isn't ideal, but to tight screws up everything.

Rick

Comment

Is it wrong to think that nocks could be loosened or tightened with a simple heat gun and a flathead screwdriver (to wedge open a bit after heating) or a pair of pliers to tighten a little?

I mean, it would be a fair amount of trouble to re-serve a string so as to put on or take away wraps of Teflon tape to adjust spacing that way. Plus, different nocks may just have slightly tighter or looser throat-fits.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
            Is it wrong to think that nocks could be loosened or tightened with a simple heat gun and a flathead screwdriver (to wedge open a bit after heating) or a pair of pliers to tighten a little?

I mean, it would be a fair amount of trouble to re-serve a string so as to put on or take away wraps of Teflon tape to adjust spacing that way. Plus, different nocks may just have slightly tighter or looser throat-fits.
            Lots of folks do it that way Ellis, but WHATEVER you do if altering the nock for fit, make Darn Sure you are not weakening the structural integrity of the nock itself.

If you are going to do it by altering the nock - the best way, and the way to alleviate any damage to the nocks is to use boiling water.

(1) Dip the nock into the boiling water for just a few seconds, until it softens (how long depends on the density of the nock, but usually no more than 10 seconds).

(2)Pull it out, and pinch the calipers/jaws/lips (whatever you want to cal them) together some evenly.

I actually use a small drill bit, and pinch the nock onto the smooth end of it to make sure I am keeping everything straight.

(3) Reinsert into the boiling water for a few seconds, pull it out, and clip it onto the string Above Or Below where it actually goes on the string for the shot, and let it cool there. After it cools it should be a pretty close to a perfect fit at the spot where you normally clip it on.

Here again, I use a drill bit. I select a bit size that is the size I need the nock to be (size of my string), and clip it onto the bit to let it do it's final cooling

(4) Repeat until you get the fit you desire.

The Absolute Best way to fit nocks to the string is to serve the string to accept the size nocks you are using, but not everyone has the stuff to do that, so using the boiling water is the second best.

Rick

Comment

Thanks, Rick. I knew you would have a proper work-around!

Sent from my SM-J327V using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow, thats awesome. Wish I had that kind of talent.

Comment

Beautiful string jig. What string material are you using for your super quiet string?

Comment

Originally posted by ptlmg View Post
                    Wow, thats awesome. Wish I had that kind of talent.
                    Thanks. It's really not that hard with some good tools to work with.

Originally posted by Fuzzy Dog View Post
                    Beautiful string jig. What string material are you using for your super quiet string?
                    Thanks.

I used Brownell's Rhino & ... .

Yes, I mixed materials, but I'm not quite ready to divulge that information.
                    Like I said - experimental.
                    I wouldn't want to screw anyone up, but so far so good.
                    The bow still has not lost any brace height since I first set it before starting to shoot, and I have shot it a lot, and left it strung up this whole time.

Rick

Comment

That is really snazzy.

Comment

Originally posted by RickBarbee View Post
                        Thanks. It's really not that hard with some good tools to work with.

Thanks.

I used Brownell's Rhino & ... .

Yes, I mixed materials, but I'm not quite ready to divulge that information.
                        Like I said - experimental.
                        I wouldn't want to screw anyone up, but so far so good.
                        The bow still has not lost any brace height since I first set it before starting to shoot, and I have shot it a lot, and left it strung up this whole time.

Rick
                        See the second PM on your site.

Comment

I refined my string jig, and made it into a breakdown for ease in storage, and shipping.

They are made entirely from hardwood (Red Oak Select).

These are my first two, and there was some learning curve, but they still look very nice, and the fit, and lines measures are perfect.

Rick
                          Attached Files

Comment

That looks amazing, Rick.

As noted above, see PM on your site.

Comment

You're the man Rick. [emoji106]

Gary

Comment

Heads Up.

Rick

Comment