Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched a little over a year ago, but more to go to a resistance release and then move to a thumb...that is another topic.

I tried and used a lot of thumb releases. I ended up on the Nock 2 It and the Stan Perfex. Both were great, but I give the nod to the Stan Perfex, because of all the adjustments you can make to it. I also liked the shorter neck and open hook on it. The open hook was just better for me for elk hunting/spot and stalk situations. On the new version of the Stan Perfex the neck is longer like most releases and you can hang it from your d loop.

I did not like 4 finger releases. I preferred the ones that were 3 finger or 2 1/2.

I practiced a lot in the evenings with just a "string bow" (which can land you some ridicule from your wife and kids ) around the house and did a lot of blind bailing to get use to it. That seemed to help the transition a lot for me. I am very happy I switched and it made shooting much more fun.

Comment

If you do switch, make the full commitment. A lot of folks try it then bail as soon as they have their first misfire. You will have on. Most usually do. But if you make the necessary bow changes that go with the release your shooting will improve.

Comment

T.R.U. Ball, Stan, and Carter all produce high quality thumb releases. Each have their own merits, and depending on which model, infinite methods of adjustability. Picking one is about like picking a bow: personal preference. I would recommend trying as many as you can before committing to one. Borrow one, see if your local shop carries any... Spending a little more and getting a quality release is worth it, IMO, or finding one you like and then shopping for a used one.

Comment

I want to give this another try as well. I picked up a TruBall thumb release a few years ago but it doesn't quite fit me too good and it wasn't comfortable. My biggest fear was releasing while drawing my bow, and where I was shooting I didn't have much of a backstop. Because of that I didn't give it much of a chance. I will say, it is VERY different.

Comment

I switched a couple years ago for a very similar reason. I also like the "power" I feel as I draw my bow. To me it feels more powerful, which means I can draw my bow smoother and easier. There are two types to consider. Most of them have a thumb "pull", meaning you pull your thumb back to release. Personally, I like the thumb "push". I shoot the Tru Ball with the thumb push. Much harder to find but it just feels better to me.

Comment

carter chocolate addiction you will not regret this move,accuracy will improve a lot.

Comment

Tru Ball Max 4 Hunter. Will never go back.

Comment

Can’t go wrong with anything Carter Michael! I own a few and love all of them. They even come with tension springs for poundage adjustment. I can find the models I have that are my favorite and add them later when I get home.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Thinking of Switching to Thumb Release. Suggestions?

I like thumb release much better! I have one and would recommend a Carter also. If you have it adjusted so there is no travel, and you use proper back tension, you never have to “pull” the release. Just wrap your thumb around the trigger and compress your back. It will go off on its own!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                    Last edited by Bisch; 01-30-2018, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Nothinbutwelves is absolutely right, its not a back tension release but thumb activated and it will tighten up your groups

Comment

Pm sent

Comment

I am another one that will give a Carter recommendation. I have gone to thumb releases for almost all my shooting for the past 4-5 years. The only time I pull out a wrist strap is if going over 80 lbs of draw weight. I shoot the Chocolate Addiction Lite and the Insatiable 2. I have shot the Target models and the Wise Choice as well. I have big hands and on the smaller releases my thumb would contact my index finger and it didn't feel right. Try to shoot a few and see what fits your hand best. I agree with the others in that a thumb release gives you a better anchor and better form. I also think it is harder to punch a thumb release. Buy a good one and enjoy improved shooting and less clanging with your gear!

Comment

I believe there are aftermarket wrist straps that you can get if your not in a stand. You can also use para cord and make one, just like the wrist bands.

Comment

I have a Scott sigma and like it a lot. Carter makes good releases too.

Comment

Switched to the Carter Target about 8 years ago due to deer walking across the shooting window at First Point a litlle quick. Havent looked back since. Love it

Comment

Working...
                                X