No announcement yet.

How to field score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24 years of telling lease members no. Seen thousands of pictures and a hundred or so deer..............

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
      OP post a trail cam pic. I bet we can get pretty close. The best way to score deer is practice. When people post deer up, tru and use all the tools to guess. Then check back in when the deer is killed.

It’s natural in the beginning to over score deer. Don’t get discouraged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Well since I posted this, I shot a buck that was on my list. We don't have any huge deer, but I am interested in getting guesses at the age and score. I am getting him European mounted since it's my first nonspike and first bow kill .

I originally thought 3.5 but after looking again, neck is full... Legs seem Lean... I am changing my guess to 5.5. Thinking 125 for score? 2", 8", 7" tines? Am I close?
      Attached Files

Comment

Great buck - congats.

You are correct in that is an older deer. I'd think he's 5.5 all day,(looking at face, jowels, and paunch) and your guess of 125'' is about where I would peg him.

Comment

I add up one side and double it. Game camera pics can really fool you. I wish tbh would put their game cameras picks and then the scores when they kill him. I have a 12 point I'm hunting now that in some pics he looks 154 and in some 140 so if he ever shows up I will post pics. I'm still thinking 150 but still haven't seen him in person.

Comment

Nolan county? If yes I say he is 5.5 and 120 that’s a good buck for that area if it is Nolan county !

Comment

114”. Good looking deer. Congrats.

And this whole pic of pic thing blows my mind. Everything is bigger not just the horns. Letting those trail cams mess with you to much guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                Nolan county? If yes I say he is 5.5 and 120 that’s a good buck for that area if it is Nolan county !
                Yes Nolan county. No monsters by any stretch but about 3 good 'uns. I think we have a couple 10 points but I am calling one of em Crab Claw because if he is a 10, it's just barely... I will see if I have a pic of him.

Edit... Found pic
                Attached Files
                Last edited by ctom87; 10-10-2019, 09:59 PM. Reason: Found crab claw

Comment

I hunted in Nolan county for a few years two places just south of sweetwater and another place north east of Nolan . The bucks generally are in the 120 range and the top end bucks are going to be pushing 140 the place I hunted on by Nolan was a high fence ranch all native deer at the time. I told the guy he should shoot ever deer off the place and bring some deer in he said no I’m going to grow some native giants. I said there is not a buck on this place that scores over 140 . I’ve been watching these deer for two years now . And all the deer that were being harvested were at least 6.5 to 7.5 and not a one scored over 140 . And that was with great range condition and supplement feeding for about 10 years . I run into the guy two years ago and he told me well I finally killed all my deer off and brought in some great deer you were right lol .

Comment

Working...
                  X