Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
    I use from the tip of the nose to tip of the eye.. 7.5”s

They say the circumference of a mature bucks eye is around 5”. So I’ll use that as reference to the deers mass. I use 5.5”s for ear length.

Beams are tricky. If they lay out of his immediately they are much shorter than they look. Most long beamed bucks come up then out.

Mass is never as much as you think. A buck with good mass is around 14” per side.. so 28 total. The buck needs to look massive to be above 30”s total mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically what I do. I use 9.5" from tip of nose to antler base and 5" between outside of eyes as a scale. For mass and beam length, I use what is typical for that area for a deer of that age.

Comment

For a quick score calculation, I use 90 (rather than 100) plus the length of the up points.

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
        For a quick score calculation, I use 90 (rather than 100) plus the length of the up points.
        I do something like this, except make exception for really wide or heavy mass....and then classify 85, 90, 95, 100 as a down score...then I add up the tines on the shortest side and double...pretty easy to get within 2 to 3 inches of the net score this way and it's fast, not hard to judge on the hoof when you have done it a few times.

Comment

I noticed some of y’all talking about computer pics... this is why I can’t trust them.
          Pretty much ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
            Picture of a picture are not accurate ways to score a deer. That deer is not near that big but bc the camera is tilted it elongates his rack and pulls it way out of proportion.

Exactly!

Comment

Originally posted by DOUBLE-Z View Post
              Exactly!

Ya.....? Pretty much exactly what I was saying. I think post started with this is prime example. All you need is a reference all this pic of pic or computer angles is silly. A pic of a pic is a 2D image not much you can do to that. Like the thread though always interesting to see how different people age deer

Comment

Score, sorry not age

Comment

I compare them to other deer that I first studied on trail cams and then later scored in person. Having some hanging in the room to look at and add and subtract from helps too. Ive only been at this for about 4 years but usually surprise myself how close I am.

Another thing you can do is get your answer before reading anyone else responses then compare.

Comment

I'll play this game.
                    I can make a 140'' (a deer I know well) look like a 170''.
                    Zoom in and tilt the camera phone. I bet a lot of guys use this trick when filling leases - especially some of those Craigslist adds I've seen posted.

To the OP's scoring question - I use a baseline "down" score for the average deer on our place - then just add up the tines. Big framed deer, extra wide, or crazy mass - I might throw on an extra 5-10''s...
                    Attached Files

Comment

again - adding up the inches is one way -

on the other hand ......... look at enough deer over 30-40 years (both live and trail camera pics) and you just know the rough score by sight. Not to say there are not bucks that can fool you but overall the computer in the brain can get pretty close to the score if it has seen enough of them - LOL

Comment

I've just learned to wing it from seeing so many posted scores with the deer's pic over the last 30 years...some of you guys are amazing how close you get to the up/down scoring. I'm usually pretty close to those who know how to do it correctly so usually not too apprehensive to share. There are those few racks that sneak through the cracks & helps you on your learning curve. Usually tied to the horn mass or misjudging the body size in my case when you are off by 10" one way or the other.

I don't count anything & just look at the deer / bone & a number rolls around...those freaky mutated antlers with the bizarre mass I don't really even try & getting close to being 10" off would be a win. I'm not even sure where mass measurements are taken on some of the goofy racks out there that go way over 200".

Comment

Originally posted by Dugie View Post
                          I do something like this, except make exception for really wide or heavy mass....and then classify 85, 90, 95, 100 as a down score...then I add up the tines on the shortest side and double...pretty easy to get within 2 to 3 inches of the net score this way and it's fast, not hard to judge on the hoof when you have done it a few times.
                          This is what we do as well. The down score varies per region and ranch. You have to spend a lot of time observing deer in a particular area to get a good feel for the average down score of the herd. On a low fence hill country ranch the average main beam length on 4.5+ year old bucks might be 17"...vs 20" for native hill country bucks in a high fence with supplemental feeding vs. 22" in South TX...and so on and so forth.

Comment

I can "eyeball" most bucks and get within 5"s or so (up to a 160" buck then it takes some math). That is from seeing a lot of photos and scoring a lot of deer. You can use some baseline measurements off a deer to get you close as well. Like stated earlier, the tip of the nose to the eye is usually 7" and ears are 5-6". Just measure that on the photo and apply it to the tine length.

Comment

Found it : http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...hlight=tuthdoc

Comment

I use the if I likem shootum method. Score after I bring them back to camp.

Comment

Working...
                                X