How to field score

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to field score

I thought about posting a pic of a buck and asking for scores, but I think my expectations would be off compared to what yall think.

Instead, I would like to ask when yall score a buck based on a picture posted, how do you do it? I would be really interested. I think the buck I have is 4.5 yr old and would score around 150. I would like to know how you score a buck and after learning what you do, see if this changes my guess.

FYI, I am new to hunting and scoring, this is why I think on this particular buck I think I ma over estimating.

I should preface by saying that I saw a cheat where you start with a baseline 100 and count the inches on 1 side if it's a typical buck. Double that +100 should give you a score. I think the +100 part is off.

Comment

The thing is you need to see a lot of horns to be in the ball park of scoring off of pictures are even on the hoof . Watch videos of people scoring deer on the hoof score them yourself and see how close you are ? You learn after scoring a few that there usually is a average on horns as far as mass , beams and tines look at alert deers ears and on average a deers ears from tip to tip in a alert position is around 16” that helps you get your spread . So in short start your scoring on a average of a basic whitetail buck . Which is usually 15” spread 28” mass 21” beams and on a 10 point about 44 “ of tine length and you can go up from there are down on some cases .

Comment

Just post the picture of the buck if he is close to 150 you will know pretty fast just by 5r 6 guys telling you what they think he scores .

Comment

The way I do it, I have gotten measurements from a lot of bucks from the area that I hunt. I took the spread, mass and beam length measurements and did an average and added these together. In my area, the average is 85 inches. When I see a buck or get a pic game cam I estimate, on the conservative side, the tine lengths and add all of these tines lengths together. Then I take that number and add 85 inches to come up with my field score estimate. So if I have a buck with 50 inches of total tines, I would estimate him at 135. This works pretty good for me and can be done pretty quick in the field. I am usually within a few inches when they are actually measured.

Comment

I basically take half the score sheet, guess the lengths, add it all up in my head and multiply X 2 plus spread guesstimate. This will get you relatively close unless he's grossly non typical.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by djs303 View Post
              The way I do it, I have gotten measurements from a lot of bucks from the area that I hunt. I took the spread, mass and beam length measurements and did an average and added these together. In my area, the average is 85 inches. When I see a buck or get a pic game cam I estimate, on the conservative side, the tine lengths and add all of these tines lengths together. Then I take that number and add 85 inches to come up with my field score estimate. So if I have a buck with 50 inches of total tines, I would estimate him at 135. This works pretty good for me and can be done pretty quick in the field. I am usually within a few inches when they are actually measured.
              I basically do this as well. Assume 85-90 inches for mass, spread, and beams. Then just add tine length. I'm certainly no expert, but it gets me pretty close.

Comment

I always use previous deer killed as references.
                Having deer to reference from our ranch both high and low makes it easy to throw them in a class for me.

Comment

Good question. Two ways to do it IMO. First is to do actual mental measurements. I have a hunting buddy who does it that way.

I on the other hand have hunted for 60 years and much of it in South Texas. I have seen hundreds of thousands of trail camera pictures over the years not to mention live in the field. My scoring is purely by feel - I look at a buck and do not do any adding - I simply have seen so many deer over the years I can usually get pretty close to their score (usually within 5 inches of what the buck ends up scoring)

I also learned that still trail camera pics can be deceiving - need to see multiple angles and/or video -

Comment

I use ears, where I hunt a mature deer has a 7” long ear and just shy of a 7” circumference. And for the most part pointy eared soft deer have 17/17.5” tip to tip. The old round eared bruisers are close to 16” tip to tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1808.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	24595405
                      Prime example, trail cams make this deer look like a freak! But if you use this deers ears as a base line he’s on the lower to mid side of 170’s

Comment

I like to Reference 8 points which i know the score of. From there I’ll adjust based off the different characteristics and add in any extra tines. This has become a very accurate and quick way for me to judge over the years. Makes it very easy to judge 9 and 10 pts as your typically just adding 10-15 inches based off his the G4’s

Comment

Originally posted by AntlersBoy View Post
                          [ATTACH]975393[/ATTACH]
                          Prime example, trail cams make this deer look like a freak! But if you use this deers ears as a base line he’s on the lower to mid side of 170’s

Picture of a picture are not accurate ways to score a deer. That deer is not near that big but bc the camera is tilted it elongates his rack and pulls it way out of proportion.

Comment

How to field score

I use from the tip of the nose to tip of the eye.. 7.5”s

They say the circumference of a mature bucks eye is around 5”. So I’ll use that as reference to the deers mass. I use 5.5”s for ear length.

Beams are tricky. If they lay out of his immediately they are much shorter than they look. Most long beamed bucks come up then out.

Mass is never as much as you think. A buck with good mass is around 14” per side.. so 28 total. The buck needs to look massive to be above 30”s total mass.

Comment

OP post a trail cam pic. I bet we can get pretty close. The best way to score deer is practice. When people post deer up, tru and use all the tools to guess. Then check back in when the deer is killed.

It’s natural in the beginning to over score deer. Don’t get discouraged.

Comment

Working...
                              X