Draw Archery Hunt - Choke Canyon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw Archery Hunt - Choke Canyon

Got drawn for Choke Canyon Archery Hunt! 1/3/17 - 1/6/17. Anyone else on this chat forum going?

I got drawn, first time I've been drawn for any TPWD hunts. Looking forward to it, I'm not familiar with the location. Have you hunted it before?

Comment

I'm drawn this year as well.

Some good info on this thread about the Daughtrey.

Comment

Have not hunted there before. Will be staying at Choke Canyon state park. Will any of you be camped out there?

Comment

Good luck to you guys. It'll be a fun hunt.

Comment

thanks!

Comment

Looking forward to getting a popup brushed in and having a South Texas bruiser come in.

Looking at there FB page, some decent looking deer were killed last year. I met the biologist two years ago while on a Javi hunt at the chaparral, he seems like a good guy and is running a good operation considering what he has to work with.

Comment

I hunted the Choke Canyon - North Shore unit last year for a management deer rifle hunt. Its divided into 4 compartments. Very THICK brush with few senderos. Archery will be challenging. If I was to hunt it during the rut in early January, I would take a medium sized tripod and bury it into a thick bush with 2 or 3 "shooting windows" to fly an arrow through and I would "rattle up" a buck. The deer here know about "pop-up" blinds but a well hidden tripod is the best thing. If you feed corn, then you will have plenty of javelinas and hogs around. There are some BIG bucks in these compartments but the brush is so thick that you can hardly scout it. I hunted in the farthest compartment which was 4 and used a tripod. Very first evening , I had a doe with a yearling and a very small 8 pointer. The rest of the hunt went terrible with no more deer sighted.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and info. I just love to be hunting in S. Texas no matter the circumstances are. How long of a walk was it to compartment 4?

Comment

The Choke Canyon - North Shore Unit has a paved road that snakes through all four compartments. You could literally take yourself a car and drive through all compartments and just park off the side of the road in your compartment. If you drive off this paved road and go into and on one of the few senderos, then I would look out for mesquite thorns. Again, take yourself a small light tripod and do some rattling in January! By the time you hit the first compartment then drive all the way to the back of compartment 4, you probably will drive about 1.5 miles.

Comment

All of your advice helps a lot, thanks Fashinghunts.

Comment

Originally posted by Shipbreaker View Post
                        I got drawn, first time I've been drawn for any TPWD hunts. Looking forward to it, I'm not familiar with the location. Have you hunted it before?
                        Hunted there a few years ago. We were a group of 4 and there was another group of 2 (6 total hunters). Some others didn't show up, so we hunted compartments 3 and 4, the other guys had 1 and 2. Have to cross the dam through a locked gate to access the compartments. They don't want much traffic across the dam, so they ask you to only go in/out twice a day. It was a 3-day hunt when we went, so even though you could bait, not much time for animals to find it. Of our group of 4, none of us saw any pigs or javies. As far as deer. one of our guys didn't have any shot opportunities, but he likes to stay mobile and walk a lot (difficult country to do that in and be successful with a bow). Another guy (brush blind) had does, fawns, and a yearling buck within bow range several hunts, but didn't shoot. The 3rd guy was hunting a brush blind that wasn't quite thick enough and was busted drawing on an upper 130's 8, only deer he saw. I used a short (8-foot) tripod and had a doe fawn, a 2.5 year old 8, a 3.5 year old 10 (legal but small and immature), and a nice 5.5 year old 11-point within bow range, all on the first morning of the hunt (in the pic below, the right G5 is 2.5 inches long, but is in line with the beam, left G5 is just a bump). Only deer I saw, but since I shot the 11, I didn't try too hard after that. Most of the area is thick chaparral brush, lower areas have more mesquite. Not much in the way of openings. Need to have a good blood trail if you shoot something. Mine didn't and if he hadn't gone just 60-70 yards, I would have had trouble finding him. Brush so thick that when he fell, his antlers hung up in the brush. The other 2 guys killed a spike as well. Hope this helps.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice deer! Thanks for the info.

Comment

You guys ready to go!

Comment

I was just shooting my bow a few minutes ago and have started the packing / organizing process.

Booked a room in Tilden last week and can't wait to get out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X