No announcement yet.

Advice for left eye dominant right hand newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I was a Drill Sergeant in the Army I would run into this issue with kids that had never shot before. Yes it is a rifle and not a bow but other than the equipment it is no different. Let him try to shoot a right handed bow and a left handed bow at the archery store. He should shoot whichever one is most comfortable to him this way it does not create muscle or eye fatigue later on. If he is having trouble learning how to close his off eye then put a patch over that eye behind his glasses and he can learn to close it that way. Hope this helps.

Comment

With my new NASP archers at school, I try to get all of my left eye dominant/right handed kids to just learn left handed. You'd be surprised just how often this occurs. A few refuse and shoot right handed, closing the left eye. Over my 8 years of coaching, the ones that learn to shoot on their dominant eye side far outperform the ones closing an eye. I helped an adult friend change from right to left handed to match his eye and he was shooting far better after just a couple weeks practice. So, I'd recommend learning left handed for him.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I am right handed, left eye dominant. Shoot guns left handed, shoot my bow right handed, I just close my left eye. How ever, if he is left handed and left eye dominant, set him up with a left handed bow. Might want to think about a recurve since he has glasses.

Comment

I handed my LE/RH son a dual shelved longbow...”Which side feels best Son?” He chose the proper route...lefthanded.

Comment

I’m in the same boat except for glasses. I just use my right eye, practice, practice, practice. I shoot long guns left handed, bow right handed. I’m naturally right handed so I think trying to get him to shoot a bow left handed may be awkward and get frustrating for him.

Comment

I know 2 people with this issue and both started shooting left handed v. patch.

Comment

my 16 year old is left eye dominant. Shoots bows and guns left handed. Does everything else right handed. From what I've seen with him, it's much easier for the body to adjust to the left handed option than to try to adjust to using the other eye or a patch.

Comment

I appreciate all the wisdom. Went down to archery country and bought him a mission lefty bow. Seems work for him.

Comment

I am right handed. Damaged my wrist playing football in high-school. Had several surgeries to repair my wrist. Have limited mobility in left hand. Had to retrain myself to shoot bow left handed and using left eye. I still shoot guns right handed. Been pretty successful a bow. Hes young enough where he can figure it out.

Comment

Give him a gift he can appreciate for the rest of his life...get him a left handed bow.

Comment

Originally posted by username View Post
                        I appreciate all the wisdom. Went down to archery country and bought him a mission lefty bow. Seems work for him.
                        Awesome!

Comment

I am R dom..do everything R...except shoot bow/ gun/pistol/ L.. My Dad lost right eye in WW2..So he shot L handed.. Teaching me not thinking (me or him) he taught me L..

I since then have taught myself to do all R or L... But for a surprise shot I always go L...

Bow was hardest ...but doable...

Comment

Working...
                          X