Advice for left eye dominant right hand newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tell him to close his left eye. Done...

That the way I've shot a bow for 50 years. I learned to shoot left handed but I never learned to enjoy shooting left handed.

Comment

Bows, shotguns and pistols need the dominant eye. Shoot left handed!

Comment

I’m left eye dominant and right handed and I’ve always shot with both eyes open.

I see two sets of pins because of that and always use the set on the left. I feel better balanced with both eyes open. Good luck.

Comment

Left eye dominant, right handed here.

Gun, bow, shooting pool - go lefty.

Golf, throwing, kicking, writing - go righty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot right handed. When I was young I calf roped left handed, but it was too hard to find horses for left handed people so they made me rope right handed. Took about a month of none stop practice.

Comment

Thank yall for the wisdom. Guess ill be shopping for a lh bow. I needed an excuse to buy more archery stuff anyways.

Comment

I’m left eye dominate, right handed, and can’t close one eye so I have always shoot with an eye patch. I tried the left handed deal but it was so un natural I couldn’t do it. I’m very right handed.

Comment

I’m right handed and left eye dominant. I couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn till I swapped to shooting lefty. All down hill from there. Left handed guns are a waist of time. I’ve always shot right handed ones with no issues

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My son also learned to shoot left handed bows. No problems.

Comment

I’m right eye dominant, played sports left handed but write right handed. I shoot a rifle and bow right handed. A lot easier to shoot with the hand of your dominant eye. Very beneficial to bat opposite of your dominant eye, many major leaguers are “cross dominant” meaning right eye dominant bat left and vice versa. Puts your dominant eye to the pitcher.

I suggest you get him a left handed bow.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                        It is usually better to shoot left handed with left eye dominant
                        This..^^^^

It will take just a little while for him to switch because he's new to archery. You might need to look into some contacts lenses for him too.

Comment

I teach NASP through my PE classes. I’ve found that most of the kids are hesitant to shoot a left handed bow when they are cross dominant. I have them try both and most end up sticking with the lefty and shoot it much better. My dad and my son are both rt handed and left eye dominate. Both shoot left handed.

Comment

Hmmm. I do everything right handed. I just closed my left eye. Maybe it's out of convenience...

I'm not sure I could imagine shooting a bow left handed.

I have kept both eyes open one just to see what it was like. Even though I am left eye dominant, I told myself, "It's the upper one on the left," and as long as I can focus on that, I did alright.

Comment

If I aim my finger at something with both eyes open and close my right eye it stays the same. If I close my left eye it shifts way left.

Just found this out 2 years ago at 37 and I’m not changing a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                                I'm in the exact same boat.....

Dominant eye 100%.....

I play golf right handed.....hit baseball's right handed.....etc etc etc. (At one time pretty well)

Interestingly, I shoot guns, play pool, etc LEFT handed. (Also pretty well at one time) In those 2 things utilizing the dominant eye is the only way to go in most cases IMOP.

However, is his dominant SIDE his left side?.....mine wasn't. I'm not sure I could have drawn a bow with my left arm/side at his age.

I'd definitely have him shoot ANYthing left handed, but, he might have to hit the weights to draw the bow....[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Im the same way. If it involves ‘shooting’ something, I do it left handed, EXCEPT for a bow.

I would say let me the boy try both sides and see whats more comfortable to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X