Advice for left eye dominant right hand newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for left eye dominant right hand newbie

I've got a new foster son who is wanting to learn to shoot. Although he is about the same age as my biological boys (16 vs 15, 14, 14) he is way smaller and left eye dominant. Hes about 5'5 and weighs about 115 lbs. He also wears glasses and cannot see at all without them.

So im trying to figure out what to do bow wise. I can get one of the "grow into bows" that have big draw length and weight adjustments, but is it better to have him try to learn to shoot left handed or right handed?

Also wondered if he could shoot right handed but use his left eye using an IQ sight and no peep.

Im trying to make him feel "equal" to my bio sons for lack of a better term, and we shoot together in the evenings.

It is usually better to shoot left handed with left eye dominant

Comment

Try putting a patch one his left lens. I believe that's easier than shooting with off side hand.

Comment

I asked this same question about my son. Overwhelming response was to have him learn to shoot left handed.

Comment

I would have him learn using his natural tendencies. Meaning, go lefty now, so he won't have to relearn anything later, or get discouraged by not being as accurate as he can be.

Comment

Take him to a shop and let him shoot both... he will probably prefer the left hand bow... best of luck getting him set up to shoot with you folks...

Comment

I'm in the exact same boat.....

Dominant eye 100%.....

I play golf right handed.....hit baseball's right handed.....etc etc etc. (At one time pretty well)

Interestingly, I shoot guns, play pool, etc LEFT handed. (Also pretty well at one time) In those 2 things utilizing the dominant eye is the only way to go in most cases IMOP.

However, is his dominant SIDE his left side?.....mine wasn't. I'm not sure I could have drawn a bow with my left arm/side at his age.

I'd definitely have him shoot ANYthing left handed, but, he might have to hit the weights to draw the bow....[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk

Comment

My wife was left eye dominant and right handed as are my two sons and my brother. Between them all they have been shooting bows and long guns left handed and a split on hand guns. Find him a decent left handed bow that he can grow into.

Comment

I'm left eye dominant.... Write, Shoot, play Pool all left handed, but Bat Right handed Kick & throw With my Right. Rode Bulls & Bareback horses right handed so I'm all messed up.... I say let him decide as his natural instincts wil kick in & he will probably naturally pick it up Left Handed

Comment

Have him emulate drawing a bow and see what he does.

Comment

When I started bowhunting in 80's as a kid I would wear a pirate patch! Never worked out well. Finally bought a left hand bow and didn't take long to become second nature to me.

Comment

Have him shoot left handed. He's young and doesn't have any bad habits. He'll be fine getting his muscles built up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                          I'm left eye dominant.... Write, Shoot, play Pool all left handed, but Bat Right handed Kick & throw With my Right. Rode Bulls & Bareback horses right handed so I'm all messed up.... I say let him decide as his natural instincts wil kick in & he will probably naturally pick it up Left Handed
                          Pretty much the same here. Left eye dominant and left-handed. I shoot a rifle and shotgun left-handed, but shoot a bow and pistol right-handed. Throw and bowl right-handed. Eat left-handed. Just let him do what's natural for him, don't try to force something.

Comment

My little nephew (14) is right handed and left eye dominant. He shoots everything left handed and is very accurate. He used one of the Mission bows until a family member passed him down an original Monster.

For somebody just starting out, its beat to start them lefty if they are left eye dominant instead switching later. Build that muscle memory and hand eye coordination and your son will be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Left eye dominant but have shot RH since 1971. It was tough when I shot instinctively with a recurve and compound, but I did win my fair share of field and BH tournaments back in the day. When I put a peep in, my eye dominance problem went away and right now I go back and forth on eye dominance tests.Accuracy wasnever really a problem with me.

With that being said, have him shoot left handed if possible. If not, with the correct set up, coaching and practice he can be as accurate as anyone peroid!

Comment

Working...
                              X