Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great story

Comment

They have a job to do, why would or should they treat you any different than anyone else?? The wardens on post here would not think twice about issuing that ticket. The log requirement has not changed since last year. They are out to do their job. . Congrats on your harvest...and make Mary pay

Originally posted by Legdog View Post
      So Middleton and I are headed back to Dallas after one heck of a good time at the semi-famous El Rancho Stovall (ERS). We pass a trooper who has a guy pulled over and I say "Man they really work this stretch in here... you really gotta be careful."

Seconds later....

[ATTACH]124524[/ATTACH]

Yep... apparently the license plate got knocked off at Ben's place.

[ATTACH]124525[/ATTACH]

We are having fun with the good officer and are doing what we do (take pictures of our silly adventures). Of course the officer wants to know if we had any luck, so we show him our tagged guest of honor.

[ATTACH]124526[/ATTACH]

He asks me where the rest of the deer is and when I tell him its in the ice chest, he gets a little excited and calls some buddys who happened to be in the nighborhood.

[ATTACH]124527[/ATTACH]

At this point I'm thinking this is just a fun way to chat with the local officers on the ride home... after all, I have a brand new hunting license and properly tagged game... I had no clue what was going to happen next...

[ATTACH]124528[/ATTACH]

While Middleton recieves a warning for lack of a license plate, I get not one but two citations from the game wardens.

Last night Mary wanted to practice deboning a ham since her boys usually process her deer for her. I never gave it a second thought as we loaded a baggie full of tenderloins and boned out the hams while talking about carne guisada recipes. Officially I'm cited for processing my deer beyond quartering before my final destination. Then, to top it off, although I tagged my deer properly, I had forgtten to write it on the back of my license log.

Score card:

Middleton a warning for not having a license on his trailer.

Leggett: Two citations with a properly tagged animal and some meat I'm not very interested in eating any more.

[ATTACH]124529[/ATTACH]

The officers knew about this website and asked Michael if he thought this would paint them in a bad light. I guess they understood they were being a bit "ticky tacky" with the decision to actually cite me while the trooper decided to issue a warning. I filled out the tag while the officer watched me and yet he still chose to cite me. Honestly, I have always been thankful game wardens were out there doing what they do but after today, I was left with a "us against them" feeling that I don't think I'll lose any time soon. Of course, they are just enforcing the laws... that is what they are paid to do.
      Last edited by jbitt4x4; 10-10-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
        I know about the law, and I am a huge fan of it. But my point.....

It was Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Is this thread still going on????

Hi Hillary.............

I have been wanting to ask a LEO if the phone usage was only when the school zone lights were flashing. Guess your experience tells me the answer. Guessing that since there are playgrounds at schools and kids using those any day, thats the reason for the anytime rule.

I also realized I never said congrats to Legdog for the good shot on the doe. Congrats man!!!!

Comment

I could not find the processing deal in my book, but found the definition for quartering on page 55, but it's more clear on the TPWD website under Taking, Possessing, Mounting, and Sale of Wildlife, sections 42.001- Definitions(8). I would take it to court if I were you because it's not very clear in the book. What's the worse that could happen....you would have to pay? JMO man.

This really has no bearing on anything but I have a Concealed Handgun License. Although I rarely ever carry, in my view this means I'm "one of the good guys"... a guy who has had a background check and gave up the time and cash to learn the laws to have the privilege to carry. (for the record, I was not carrying today).

Since I spend a lot more time bowhunting than carrying a pistol, I guess I need to try a little harder to dot my i's and cross my t's in the hunting universe.

Funny thing, not one person in our camp of what I consider to be pretty seasoned hunters made a comment about me "over processing" this deer. While I admit to my error, I just never imagined I was painting so far out the lines that I'd end up with a double hit. I was proud of my deer. A lot of effort went in to hanging that stand, descenting my clothes, capturing it on film, tagging it, processing it, taking care to make sure fresh ice was on it this morning etc etc... When the trooper asked about our weekend I was happy to share a look at our success.

When the game warden informed me he was giving me the double citation I was stunned and said "Wow! How much does that cost?" He replied, "I don't know, but its not in my budget". I agreed with that statement. I didn't budget for this either.

Again, nothing against officers who are doing what they are paid to do. I just wish I had a more positive experience to report on.

I shot her from this stand high up in a native pecan. It really is a great set up that provided me a doe last year as well.

My main lesson outside of the obvious one? I will be a lot less chatty next time.

[ATTACH]124557[/ATTACH]
          Last edited by jbitt4x4; 10-10-2009, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Page 59, Processing Carcass in Camp, after notice in the box....

Originally posted by jbitt4x4 View Post
            I could not find the processing deal in my book, but found the definition for quartering on page 55, but it's more clear on the TPWD website under Taking, Possessing, Mounting, and Sale of Wildlife, sections 42.001- Definitions(8). I would take it to court if I were you because it's not very clear in the book. What's the worse that could happen....you would have to pay? JMO man.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunshine View Post
              Ignorance isn't an excuse, we all know that.

Some of you are brown nosers.....we all knew that too....

what we DIDN'T know, was that some of you have gone beyond brown nose and have ring around the collar!!

None of us like to be called out when we are wrong, especially if we are in a professional setting. As "guides" to this forum you are looked up to in a sense. Share the lesson and leave the disparaging remarks for those who are not worthy

Comment

Looks good, heck I can't even see a dang deer yet

I'm about to destroy the evidence.

[ATTACH]125602[/ATTACH]

Comment

Heck, I think that texting should be illegal while driving period, it's more dangerous than talking on them!

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                  You probably don't have kids do you. When you do, you will not want people not being resposible with their vehicle while driving thru their school zone as well!!! School zones are suppose to be a safer place for kids. How much safer are you making it when your not even paying attention to the road??? All it takes is a few seconds and WHAM the damage is done. You are charged with man slaughter not just a ticket!!! How would you feel about that?
                  Everyone knows about this law by now and all I ask is please pay attention to this one. I know you think the tickets given to legdog are petty but remember laws are made for a reason, and hopefully you understand the importance of the one you broke.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillary View Post
                    I know about the law, and I am a huge fan of it. But my point.....

It was Sunday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Hillary,tickets can only be given when lights are flashing in an active school zone,and signs must be posted saying cell phones are banned or illegal

Comment

Originally posted by happy bowhunter View Post
                      Hillary,tickets can only be given when lights are flashing in an active school zone,and signs must be posted saying cell phones are banned or illegal
                      Yes I know that.
                      I don't know if the cop did.

I didn't get a ticket, but I did get a warning for texting in a school zone on a Sunday.

I find it quite comical.

Comment

I have read this WHOLE thread and come to one conclusion...

Poacher!

Comment

Lmao

Too funny.....yall know we are just giving you a hard time, if it was reversed you would do the same. I feel for ya though Legdog for the ticket cost, that there ain't too funny.

Originally posted by tinman View Post
                          I have read this WHOLE thread and come to one conclusion...

Poacher!

Comment

I went by our local TPWD office Friday. Asked the question about the tag having to be attached to the carcass. Young lady in the office picked up a cell phone and called a Lieutenant out of Austin and handed me the phone. He told me that you would not be written up if the tag was on the head with the carcass in the ice chest. As long as the two are together in the truck all is good. He even said that many times he attaches his tag to his ice chest when he quarters a deer in camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Not that it makes a difference, but I didn't initially take a picture of the warden holding the bag. After I took a few shots, he asked if I wanted a picture "with the evidence".

Again, they weren't wrong in writing the tickets. However, it does change my attitude in how I communicate with law enforcement. I'm sure they could care less about that. Wait, maybe that's part of the problem.

Michael
                              Wow, just reading this thread. I was siding with the game wardens, thinking yeah, what choice did they have if this was being publicized, good call GW. Then read this comment in the context of all that's going on today.... still backing the blue and I don't like what's going on but, that caused me to pause...

Comment

Thread revival!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X