Sticker Siting/GW Stop all in one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HogHunter09 View Post
    That was that officer's discretion and we also are only hearing Steven's side of the story. The picture taking indicates to me that Steven and Michael might have had an attitude problem at some point.

Yep, they were obviously perturbed by the whole picture taking thing!

LOL! I can assure you, there was nothing discourteous on our part, or unprofessional on theirs, during the entire encounter. I'm confident each of the LEO's on hand would vouch for that. I shook hands with the GW's when they arrived, and again with each of the three officers before we parted ways. Other than the citation, it was a pleasant exchange from beginning to end.

I think the thing that keeps getting lost here is that neither Steven nor I have questioned the professionalism displayed by the three officers. As I said in my initial post, they were well within their right to issue the citations. I'm not at all surprised that they issued the citation for the Log violation, as that was pretty prominently discussed for the first few years, and I've seen it stated for a couple of years that they won't give warnings for that. I was surprised that they chose to issue TWO citations in this instance, and I remain equally surprised that the same officer who gave me a warning for no license plate would feel compelled to call in the GWs because of the processing beyond quartering issue.

It certainly doesn't make them bad guys, and that has never been my contention. However, it does make me rethink how I might interact with LEO's in the future, which is the main point that's been lost in this thread.

Michael
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by aironeout View Post
      Sorry to hear about ya'lls misfortunes but laws are laws and we pay to have them enforced. I would think that a couple of "gentlemen" who are such sticklers for rules on the website would understand this, and we are only talking about "rules" not laws. If you are not going to play by the laws then be prepared to pay the piper. Sorry again but it does sound a bit hypocritical.

>E
      Have to agree here.

Originally posted by glassjeg6 View Post
      I would totally agree.First the filling out of the back of the license has been in effect for quite some time,so if you didn't do it then pay the fine and move along.If the trooper that wrote the warning ticket was so cool then why did he call the game wardens? He apparently thought something was going on.Anyone can stand out and shoot the bull and be cool and they have seen it all and may have thrown up a red flag.My cousin is a game warden and if you knew half of what they go through and the pay they receive you might think a little differently.I find it somewhat funny that what i consider the TBH click (like the popular people in school) are the majority of the ones defending someone breaking game laws whether intentional or not.All law enforcement officers are different just like you and i and some will give you a warning and some will write a ticket for everything.It doesn't matter if someone was trying to learn to clean a deer or not.Laws were broken and you got tickets for it and now you say you look at game wardens in a different light when they are just doing a job . If you looked at all law enforcement that stopped you and didn't give you a warning in a different way you must not care for any of them. My .02
      Originally posted by Jaspro View Post
      x10 but I can say I had no idea about the quartering issue either. We always debone our mule deer before coming back from west texas to save on room. Had we ever been checked we would have been ticketed too I am sure.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse for breaking the law. The game violations were rules that have been on the book for many years and as Dale pointed out on the log issue at first they did issue many warnings.

I can see the reason the tropper gave Michael a warning over being given a ticket. He had no idea the plate was gone until the trooper stopped him. Had it been Michael's registration or his inspection sticker been out for several months he would have gotten a ticket and not just a warning. I have gotten warning for my trailer lights before that were not working yet solely because of the ground. Have even had trooper follow me some distance to verify story once they started to work.

What I think sucks about the whole issue is that everyone is loosing trust in the guys hired to enforce our game laws and here everyone is loosing faith in them for doing their job. I have had several bad run ins with one GW who is now retied. I have made no secret of that and even though he was an *** it never made me less appreciative of the job they do or make me less inclined to go to one for assistance.
      Again, agreed.

Originally posted by kramer View Post
      If this had happened to you, you broke the law....what good would come of that??? If you rant and rave enough, you should be let go?? A couple of things about this thread really dont sit well with me:

A thread that has the potential to and has several negative remarks about LEO/GW's should not have made it past page 1.

I am quite shocked that the leadership of TBH has allowed this thread to continue and has also made negative/questioning remarks about LEO/GW.

The longer this continues to go on, I see 2 things happening. There will probably be NO leniency if a court date is requested by the offender and GW's and LEO will probably make EVERY effort to stop vehicles with TBH stickers on them and people WILL be scrutinized.

Ignorance of the law is NO defense. I claim to be no expert, but its every hunters responsibility to know the laws and to abide by them.

I for one can not say enough thanks to the GW's and LEO's out there. They have the most thankless jobs on the planet and many are forced to be cut and dried due to the majority of people they run into on a daily basis.
      Probably a stretch on the TBH sticker deal but otherwise good points.

Originally posted by Artos View Post
      Dang it Shane....mine is already on the left. You trying to set me up

Some of these replies are quite comical...I think if Leggy had indeed gotten a warning, some would be calling for the GW's heads for NOT doing their job.
      BINGO!

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Yep, they were obviously perturbed by the whole picture taking thing!

LOL! I can assure you, there was nothing discourteous on our part, or unprofessional on theirs, during the entire encounter. I'm confident each of the LEO's on hand would vouch for that. I shook hands with the GW's when they arrived, and again with each of the three officers before we parted ways. Other than the citation, it was a pleasant exchange from beginning to end.

I think the thing that keeps getting lost here is that neither Steven nor I have questioned the professionalism displayed by the three officers. As I said in my initial post, they were well within their right to issue the citations. I'm not at all surprised that they issued the citation for the Log violation, as that was pretty prominently discussed for the first few years, and I've seen it stated for a couple of years that they won't give warnings for that. I was surprised that they chose to issue TWO citations in this instance, and I remain equally surprised that the same officer who gave me a warning for no license plate would feel compelled to call in the GWs because of the processing beyond quartering issue.

It certainly doesn't make them bad guys, and that has never been my contention. However, it does make me rethink how I might interact with LEO's in the future, which is the main point that's been lost in this thread.

Michael
      I have to say that I am quite disappointed in some of the responses that I have been reading, especially from some of the older more respected senior members on here. To say that you would interact differently just doesn't sit well with me or set a good example for the membership. I think it's noble that you admit no hard feelings and admit that you did break laws, but the impression that you are giving about LEO/GW is not a good one.

Comment

How hard would it be to tell that it was 1 deer or 2 deer boned out? I think the law needs to be changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          No, not part of our group.

Actually, I think the DPS officer was a bit taken aback when Steven came around and started taking photos. I briefly explained the website and asked if he objected to having pictures taken. He was all for it.

When the GWs arrived, I grabbed Steven's camera and asked if they had any objection. Again, they were all for it. Not only did they pose for the pictures, but they asked when we would have them posted. The DPS officer and one of the GW's actually gave me their personal email addresses so I could send them a link to the writeup and photos, while the other GW officer was writing Steven a citation.

I guess that's what makes it all the more frustrating and confusing that they would cite Steven for two relatively minor (certainly obscure) violations. I understand and appreciate that all law enforcement officers have a difficult job, but part of that job, especially in the case of the GW's, is gaining the cooperation of the hunting public. Within the letter of the law, they were in their right to issue a ticket, but with due respect to these officers, I think they (certainly the lead GW) used poor judgement in issuing TWO citations in this instance. Likewise, while I appreciate the DPS officer for giving me a warning and engaging us in fun conversation, I think he used poor judgement in calling out his GW buddies to "inquire" about such a minor infraction.

What was, in the beginning, friendly conversation in an attempt to make an officer's job a little more pleasant, turned into a costly fine for Steven, and perhaps more importantly a sad lesson learned not to engage a law enforcement officer in any conversation except for direct answers to his questions.

Officers, despite the disagreement with the way this was handled, welcome to the site and thanks for letting us take a few photos.

Michael
          I think this is what has stuck with me through most of this thread. You are the leadership of this forum and IMO, its not good to have someone in a leadership position making this kind of negative and questioning statement.

Comment

Rules are Rules and Laws are Laws.

May be no opinion's of LEO should be a new rule.

Comment

To say that you would interact differently just doesn't sit well with me or set a good example for the membership.
              Why would I NOT interact differently? In the same situation, why would I engage the DPS trooper in idle conversation, or why would Steven feel compelled to show the officer the deer he had killed, when the officer never requested to see it? Different certainly doesn't mean that I would be discourteous or treat the officer disrespectfully, but it probably does mean that I wouldn't volunteer any information that wasn't specifically requested, or could possibly mean in a future situation where I might have otherwise been proactive in searching out a GW (ie, if I see a fellow lease member violating a game law), I might not be so quickly inclined to report it for fear that I might have overlooked an obscure regulation that I might not be aware of.

Since when is it not permissible to voice disagreement with a public official or law enforcement officer, especially when it's done with the utmost respect?
              My Flickr Photos

Comment

I try to be as legal as possible when it comes to deer hunting and the such but i dont trust GW's at all.
                I have had some good and some bad run in's with them,u just never know if u get the jerk or the decently nice guy.
                Lets just say i have more respect for the cops that beat the streets then the squrrel police

Comment

I try to keep conversation to a minimum, but am not going to be disrepectful and not fully answer whatever questions I'm asked.

Most GWs I've ran into have been very polite, but have had one run-in that didn't go so well. It involved a warden wanting to issue tickets for sub-13" bucks on an MLD3 property...based on the harvest log...and wanting to issue citations to ppl in camp who had deer hung up with permits on them, yet felt they didn't comply with the rules b/c the log on the licenses hadn't been filled out.

But I do feel this is a case where having a partially processed deer could have been over-looked. Had there been enough meat for 2 deer in the cooler and only 1 head....then that's a different story. Laws ARE laws, but they can be bent depending on the situation..for instance, on the last lease I was on we were given permission to process deer at the lodge on the lease and could drive around on the FM and CRs with untagged deer, surely there are laws against that. (<--- different county than mishap in paragraph 2)

Comment

Originally posted by Whackmaster View Post
                    I would like to thank all of the LEO's on doing a great job.Keep it up...If you break the law be ready to pay the fines.( stop crying)........

I have gotten so many traffic tickets over the years I can't keep track of them but I don't place blame on the LEO for doing his job.If I don't want to get a ticket I know what to do to stop it...Why would you have a different outlook on them just because you got nailed?

suck arse

Comment

Originally posted by greengo View Post

suck arse
                      Most useless post on this thread. Good contribution to a good thread.

One thing I've come up with after reading a few more posts on the processing. If two deer were shot (not suggesting it happened- hypothetical only) and processed in camp, and a large portion consumed in camp by multiple parties, how would the game warden know how many deer were actually shot if what's left is processed the way it was? He wouldn't. This may be part of the reason for the law being written the way it is.

Comment

I got a ticket from a GW in Jacksboro for fishing without a license a few months back. I had a valad license and it was 30 yards away in my truck. I told him this. I also dropped that I was in the police academy when he asked what I did for a living. He still wrote me the ticket (of course the judge dismissed it).

I told a cop I work with about the incident and he said when he was in the police academy that they taught them that professional courtesy should be extended to all officers (don't write them a ticket) except for GW..Because GW would write their own mama a ticket..

I'm thinking there may be some truth to it!

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                          It may have been answered earlier, I didn't see it. Is there a logical reason to have a log on the back of the license? Seems to serve no useful purpose. Only seems to add a violation opportunity. There may be a reason for the log... but I don't know what it is.
                          The 'other reason' for the log is to make certain no one recycle's the tag that goes on the deer.

My GW friend says that the back log is still quite overlooked by many & can usually tell if malice is involved by looking at the tag on the deer. I'm sure that forgetting a pen in your hunting gear can be easier than your knife or bino's, correct?? I have even had a roller type pen that just smeared one time when he and I tracked down a cull that had run off w/ very little blood trail. We found it and could not get my roller pen to write on the lic. that is kinda slick. My only option was to cut or notch out the date kills on the tag untill I could find a functioning pen. This way my 'intention' was not to re-use the tag as it was permantly destroyed.

If I was alone and ran across another gw on my way back to camp and displayed my notched tag and prooved my pen would not write on either tag or log, some could use discretion and some could write me up.

This is a prime example of where it is still my responsibility and also shows how different GW's can use their power to issue a warning or citation. Would I have the right to be upset if ticket was given under this scenario?? I think so. Some would say I should have pre-tested a pen that would write...and with some GW's, this is not an incorrect statement.

Check your packs for good pens boys and girls!!

Comment

I think some of you need to work on your reading comprehension...

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I think some of you need to work on your reading comprehension...

Comment

Originally posted by Green Arrow View Post
                                I try to be as legal as possible when it comes to deer hunting and the such but i dont trust GW's at all.
                                I just cannot make sense of this comment. If you're "legal", what's not to trust about a GW?

Comment

Working...
                                X