2020 Saltwater Fishing Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
    That too. But keeping 8 or 10 in the bag and then culling them out to get the biggest for your 5 is a bit unethical IMO too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's more than unethical that's over your limit. Fish in a bag are in your possession unreleased.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      Why would you need that big ol’ sack for 5 17” trout anyways?
      Exactly.

Any trout that needs measuring ain't worth putting on the cleaning table anyway
      Originally posted by Mexico View Post
      So does Hardhead

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
      Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats Glenn and Philip!

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
          Congrats Glenn and Philip!
          Thanks bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Ca$ey View Post
            Nice! I’ll be in the market next year and this is the hull I’ve been considering. I’d be interested to hear how it handles the open water.
            I've been pretty impressed so far, she takes the chop well. In a 2' - 3' chop, I can run about 23 pretty comfortably. Mine is rigged with an Etec 200 and my top end is around 38 so it's definitely not a speed demon. I've read online where people are getting closer to 50 though out of a Yamaha SHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
              And that is total BS. If you are gonna keep em, keep em. If you are going to let em go, let em go. Don't carry them around in your purse for a couple hours, dump them in the floor of your boat and then let them go. And video it so you can throw trout destined to be crab bait back as you say something like "Oh, she kicked off strong!". Yall know what I am talking about.
              Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
              That too. But keeping 8 or 10 in the bag and then culling them out to get the biggest for your 5 is a bit unethical IMO too.

Comment

Ran out of Seadrift Friday and Saturday. Friday we found a mess of trout in the first Wade and a couple of us caught limits in 45 mins or so on dark soft plastics, a lot of nice fish 19-20 inches and turned loose 3 that were around 23”. Reds were a little tougher and we only caught one keeper. Saturday was a circus. We beat everyone to our first stop but while getting out of the boat I bet 40 boats burned passed us. The fish had moved on and we only strung 5 in the first couple of hours in the same spot as Friday. After that it was hard to find a spot and we ended up doing some exploring until the shorelines opened back up. Ended up with a dozen or so trout and a flounder. Magic grass and purple chart dsl got the most love this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Punkin View Post
                  I've been pretty impressed so far, she takes the chop well. In a 2' - 3' chop, I can run about 23 pretty comfortably. Mine is rigged with an Etec 200 and my top end is around 38 so it's definitely not a speed demon. I've read online where people are getting closer to 50 though out of a Yamaha SHO.
                  You might need to change props.

Comment

Why would you need that big ol’ sack for 5 17” trout anyways?
                    The totes are great, I won't go back to using a stringer. I keep all my gear in a waterproof tackle box that I throw in the tote so I dont have to carry it on me while fishing. I don't know why, but they seem to do much better around sharks. I don't know of anyone who has had a shark make a run at the tote like they will with a stringer. The bag is big enough that when I am done fishing I can throw all my wade gear in it and put it in my truck and never worry about something blowing out and are big enough to put a limit of upper slot reds in and not have to cram them down.

I have never had a fish die in my tote. I don't know where people are coming from when they say its hard on the fish. In fact my experience has been the exact opposite. I have caught some larger trout that were really struggling to get their lungs back after a tough fight. I didn't want to just release them and see them floating 10 minutes later, so I put them in the tote and kept fishing. After some time (maybe 45 minutes) they were released and swam off much stronger. My tote does a good job of holding its shape in the water so it gives the fish quite a bit of room and they aren't knocking into each other and there seems to have good water flow through it. I don't have a problem at all with someone culling from a tote while fishing. Bass guys cull from their livewell all the time. It seems to me giving a fish some time in a safe environment to get their wits back is better than just tossing them back right after the catch anyhow. I don't think anyone should have more than their legal limit in one though.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                      The totes are great, I won't go back to using a stringer. I keep all my gear in a waterproof tackle box that I throw in the tote so I dont have to carry it on me while fishing. I don't know why, but they seem to do much better around sharks. I don't know of anyone who has had a shark make a run at the tote like they will with a stringer. The bag is big enough that when I am done fishing I can throw all my wade gear in it and put it in my truck and never worry about something blowing out and are big enough to put a limit of upper slot reds in and not have to cram them down.

I have never had a fish die in my tote. I don't know where people are coming from when they say its hard on the fish. In fact my experience has been the exact opposite. I have caught some larger trout that were really struggling to get their lungs back after a tough fight. I didn't want to just release them and see them floating 10 minutes later, so I put them in the tote and kept fishing. After some time (maybe 45 minutes) they were released and swam off much stronger. My tote does a good job of holding its shape in the water so it gives the fish quite a bit of room and they aren't knocking into each other and there seems to have good water flow through it. I don't have a problem at all with someone culling from a tote while fishing. Bass guys cull from their livewell all the time. It seems to me giving a fish some time in a safe environment to get their wits back is better than just tossing them back right after the catch anyhow. I don't think anyone should have more than their legal limit in one though.

Whatever you like keep on using it. I would hate having to drag that thing around. I’m a minimalist when wading. I use a little over the shoulder set up with a box, net and stringer clipped to it and a rod holder up high if you need to go hands free. I like a stringer. I set mine up with dual floats, keeps the fish up off the bottom and out of your feet. I’ve had sharks get a stringer a time of two, but it’s pretty rare, enough that I don’t worry about it.

Comment

I like the double float.

Comment

Comment

Whatever you like keep on using it. I would hate having to drag that thing around. I’m a minimalist when wading. I use a little over the shoulder set up with a box, net and stringer clipped to it and a rod holder up high if you need to go hands free. I like a stringer. I set mine up with dual floats, keeps the fish up off the bottom and out of your feet. I’ve had sharks get a stringer a time of two, but it’s pretty rare, enough that I don’t worry about it.

We fish poc mainly and out of all the places on the coast I think it’s about the “sharkiest”. If the sharks don’t jack with ya, the daggum dolphins will! I have been looking at an over the shoulder rig like yours but it’s so easy to toss everything the the tote and only have a wade belt and net next to me. The tote I keep on a pretty long list e so it’s not in the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              We fish poc mainly and out of all the places on the coast I think it’s about the “sharkiest”. If the sharks don’t jack with ya, the daggum dolphins will! I have been looking at an over the shoulder rig like yours but it’s so easy to toss everything the the tote and only have a wade belt and net next to me. The tote I keep on a pretty long list e so it’s not in the way.
                              About as far as I get down there is greens and cottons, but that’s only 3-4 trips a year. I see sharks every time I go but haven’t had any get my fish. I hate seeing those stupid things. lol. The only times I’ve been sharked is in the surf.

Comment

The closer you get to Pass Cavallo and big jetty area are of coarse loaded up with them pretty good.

Comment

Working...
                                X