Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Submarine pitcher son's highlights

Getting some good responses

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAQhN74zRT8"]Eric Sandoz Baseball Recruiting - YouTube[/ame]

Very nice,
    Looks like he knows what he doing out there

Comment

Kind of hard to tell from those angles but it looks like he has some good run to it. Just a tip, if you can possibly get down right behind the backstop at or barely above ground level and get some footage it would be much easier for coaches to see what he's got. If you can't get that angle in a game then set it up for a bullpen and show 3 or 4 of each pitch in the video. That's the same way I ended up getting recruited, sent about 12 videos out all over the state. Everyone overlooks the slow throwing lefty, the submarine guys get some of the same crap too! If they like what they see then come springtime they will come check him out for themselves. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks, Fly; good tips, Ramball. And, yes, ball moves a lot : throws 2-seam fastball that looks hittable but has late movement that gets misses or weak grounders and the curve/slider starts inside on righty and hits outside corner. Need to edit some footage already shot in bullpens from offset just behind pitcher. Maybe put a go-pro on the catcher.

Comment

Looks good! Like said above I would love to see the camera off the right shoulder of the Ump. Pitches look lively with good movement.

Comment

Those sub pitchers are a ***** to hit off of. Tough to see them leaving the pitchers hand if you bat right handed. He has good form from what I can see. Keep an eye on this elbow for any pain and make sure his always ices it down after the games.

Comment

Thanks Antler and Tracker. Motion is pretty easy and fluid for him; seems he always had a lower arm slot, so coaches suggested submarine about five years ago. Only pain in elbow came a couple of years ago from "over-pronating" (rotating wrist inward at release), but therapist fixed in a couple of visits. No problems since.

Comment

Reminds me of ole Brett Saberhagen on the Royals, long time ago. Nasty lookin break on that curve.

Comment

Was pretty good in relief today: in 3 innings struck out 6, with 3 groundouts (no runs, 1 hit).

Comment

Good outing yesterday in Franklin: In 2 innings -- 2 strikeouts, 3 groundouts (including a double play to get a man who reached on error). Has been playing football and working out and seems to have gotten stronger; velocity from that submarine armslot was 83-85. Question for baseball dads/moms & college recruits: Thinking about signing up for Perfect Game Uncommitted Showcase in Tomball in November -- worth it? ($700) Already being approached by some smaller schools.

Comment

Originally posted by tradtiger View Post
                      Good outing yesterday in Franklin: In 2 innings -- 2 strikeouts, 3 groundouts (including a double play to get a man who reached on error). Has been playing football and working out and seems to have gotten stronger; velocity from that submarine armslot was 83-85. Question for baseball dads/moms & college recruits: Thinking about signing up for Perfect Game Uncommitted Showcase in Tomball in November -- worth it? ($700) Already being approached by some smaller schools.
                      $700.....heck NO! All a money making scheme

Comment

Get a hold of Joel Hinojosa in Austin if you can. He's still a barber there but still teaches pitching some and his son JoJo Hinojosa is a buddy of mine that pitched for UT and got drafted and he threw submarine. Just sayin that they might be able to talk to some folks for ya. Really good people!

Comment

There is actually a trend for arms like your son. TCU has a guy, Morrison, that I would love to sign. Baltimore has O'Day that gets RHH's out routinely w/ ground balls.

The key I see is velo vs. secondary velo. If you can keep them close to 10mph apart or more, you'll find better results in my opinion. If you can ride your FB into the upper 80's low 90's w/ a mid 70's breaking ball, your golden!

If your son goes the JC route, Temple is a great place right in your backyard.
                          Last edited by TreeNap; 10-20-2014, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Right, gingib. Hard not to feel like "scheme", as opposed to "investment."

Thanks for the Hinojosa connection, KCK. Will check into this.

TreeNap (love your screen name -- hope you wear a safety harness! ) : speed differential is easily 10 or more mph. Sending PM.

Comment

Update: Another good outing Sunday in Corpus: sub-20 pitches for 2 innings with nothing hit hard or even out of infield -- 4 groundouts, 2 strikeouts. Coach said D1 JUCO's "all want him" , plus getting interest from 4-year schools. I'm told that the talent level of D1 JUCO level is the closest thing to D1 Universities, and they often work as feeders to the big schools. l wonder if you parents or former athletes have advice on preferred ways to proceed in this process. We keep hearing him described as a "niche" pitcher, who would be used in middle relief; that is well and good, but I also know he has done just fine as a starter -- with a no-hitter to his credit -- and tends to go deep into games due to low pitch count with all the ground balls. BTW, we'll be in at the North Texas Showcase, at Airhogs stadium this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                              X