Arrow weight recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow weight recommendations

Looking arrow weight recommendations for my son. He’s pulling 41lbs now. Broadhead of choice is either 125gr Solid with bleeder blade or 100gr German Kentics. I’ve got some Black Eagle Deep Impact 400 spline I was thinking about using, they will come in around 450gr. But is that to heavy for 41lbs?

No 450gr. Is great. Build that arrow with foc. Work on his tune so it's flying the best it can. Then limit his range. Say 15 yards max can go a little further but no reason to at all.

Comment

450 is a great weight. Won’t be smoking fast but will be a pretty lethal setup with a good penetrating broadhead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What bow and draw length?

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          What bow and draw length?
          Quest Radical, 25” dl.

Comment

Nice set up. Keep the broadhead small and sharp! Solid or GK from Germany are winners.

Comment

I would definitely be in the 15 yards max camp. Have you chronoed the bow? I am guessing about 160 fps (maybe less) with a 450 grain arrow, which is ok but it is good to know the limitations. I would also probably go with a 2 blade broadhead with a straight edge like a stinger instead of the convex edge heads

Comment

I was able to turn his bow up today. Got him to 51lbs. I’ll chrony it tomorrow to see what we’re getting. Thanks for all the responses. I just get nervous when it comes to my kids bow hunting. I want to make sure & teach them we do our best to ethically & humanly take deer with our bows.

Comment

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                  I was able to turn his bow up today. Got him to 51lbs. I’ll chrony it tomorrow to see what we’re getting. Thanks for all the responses. I just get nervous when it comes to my kids bow hunting. I want to make sure & teach them we do our best to ethically & humanly take deer with our bows.
                  Go Dad!

Comment

It’s gonna be slow but should hit with plenty of momentum. Keep it under 15 and he will have plenty of speed and penetration

Comment

I’m gonna be the odd man out, as I don’t see the heavy, slow arrow being the deal. I have over 25 years of experience with a hunter shooting exactly same specs, although I can’t compare his bow to my wife’s bow in performance. My wife has killed more than 50 whitetails from Texas to Kansas, and scoring up to 152” and weighing up to 175 lbs. Her arrow weighs in at slightly less than 300 grains total, and she uses the 85 grain Slick Trick. The deer usually have 2 holes. This arrow weight gives her a good speed for her shirt DL, and low poundage.

Comment

Originally posted by rocky View Post
                        I’m gonna be the odd man out, as I don’t see the heavy, slow arrow being the deal. I have over 25 years of experience with a hunter shooting exactly same specs, although I can’t compare his bow to my wife’s bow in performance. My wife has killed more than 50 whitetails from Texas to Kansas, and scoring up to 152” and weighing up to 175 lbs. Her arrow weighs in at slightly less than 300 grains total, and she uses the 85 grain Slick Trick. The deer usually have 2 holes. This arrow weight gives her a good speed for her shirt DL, and low poundage.
                        I am in this camp as well. My mother shoots close to the same specs as your wife. She's managed to take a P&Y Pronghorn at 40 yds shooting lighter and faster.

Unless you are trying to get penetration on an elk or something with more mass, I would probably lighten up the set up and try to increase the speed.

Comment

My vote is for the heavier arrow---not so much for the momentum, but for a much quieter shot. Important at 15 yds for sure.

Comment

Ok I’ve bumped him to my Bear Arena 30 at 50lbs. Haven’t chronied it yet but it’s a lot faster than his Radical. Moved the peep down just have to tie it in & let him start shooting when he gets home.

Comment

Ok I’ve bumped him to my Bear Arena 30 at 50lbs. Haven’t chronied it yet but it’s a lot faster than his Radical. Moved the peep down just have to tie it in & let him start shooting when he gets home.
                              Well that bow looks to IBO 45 fps faster than the original bow you listed, so basically i would not worry too much about arrow weight any longer. I would just get something 350-400 grains with a COC broadhead and call it good. Something like a gold tip 400 and a 100-125 grain broadhead should be fine

Comment

Working...
                              X