No announcement yet.

Van Dyke verdict - Guilty or innocent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened in the 13 months between McDonald’s killing and the video’s release?

As the Chicago Reporter summarized Tuesday, a great deal. It took a still-secret city whistleblower, an autopsy report, and a $5-million city settlement with the McDonald family for the public to have any sense that what happened on October 20 did not match what the police originally reported. Then, it took multiple lawsuits—filed by the American Civil Liberties Union, The Wall Street Journal, and a freelance journalist named Brandon Smith—for the video of the killing to finally be made public under Illinois’s Freedom of Information Act.

In other words, it took a highly non-standard series of events—a whistleblower and many lawsuits—for Chicagoans to learn of, and then get to see, the incident. (As recently as November 13, Rahm Emanuel, the city’s mayor, refused to put a hard date on the video’s release.) If a similar incident were to happen, and it was captured on a body cam, what would it take to make it public—another whistleblower?

The media is making this into a white cop shooting a black teen without a gun, which is an issue no doubt. But in my opinion they are trying to stymie to real facts, that this city has been infected from the top for a long time, and that poo poo just rolls down hill to the guys on the front lines.

I get that everybody wants to flame Rat. But our politicians makes stuff up all the time, it is basically expected. Why do we expect some of public servants to be 100% honest, while others are expected to not be?

Comment

What are those people who were all geared up to riot going to do with all that extra energy?

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Munson View Post
        What are those people who were all geared up to riot going to do with all that extra energy?
        They are still going to riot, in their blood, their chance to destroy and still stuff.

Comment

The OPs original question "was will he serve prison time?"

It looks like the minimum on the aggravated battery charge is 6 years. X level offenses are not probation eligible in Illinois. So, yes he will do somewhere between 6 and 30 years on those.

Comment

I was in Chicago this week and everyone seemed to be worried what was going to happen if the jury went the other way. I wasn’t familiar with the case but it seemed like many were more worried about riots than justice.

Comment

Bad deal.

Comment

I used to think a person couldn’t lose a case when the other party’s position is of substances, and a weapon, but that is obviously days gone by.

I know a guy that was hit by a drunk driver with no license, insurance, inspection, nor current registration and still lost an insurance claim.
                Last edited by Johnny44; 10-06-2018, 11:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                  Can you blame LEO's for making crap up? Before you blurt out yes..And say they should never lie or always be 100% honest be sure you think back to how they are treated with public opinion. Think about how many cases there are of IMO 100% justified shootings and the LEO is crucified.

Year after year the trend becomes worse for LEO's yet nothing or no one steps in to ease the trend. All I'm saying is it's way past the point where risk/reward favors LEO to make stuff up after they get in an altercation with a black person.

And you dang well know I'm not talking about the very few really bad LEO that are out there...Not trying to justify them in any way.
                  Police officers are granted extraordinary powers by the government. As such, they should be held to a significantly higher standard, the least of which, should be to tell the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by sir shovelhands View Post
                    Police officers are granted extraordinary powers by the government. As such, they should be held to a significantly higher standard, the least of which, should be to tell the truth.
                    This is true. But that being said we (being everyone) should back them more than the average Joe when they are accused of something. We should not allow the entire public to call them racist, murderers etc.. Not unless proven.

Not talking about just this case obviously.

But go ahead and put a few more LEO in prison. Lets see how much more tax dollars we can spend when it takes 10-20 LEO's to detain a guy on drugs because forbid any harm come to him.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                      This is true. But that being said we (being everyone) should back them more than the average Joe when they are accused of something. We should not allow the entire public to call them racist, murderers etc.. Not unless proven.

Not talking about just this case obviously.

But go ahead and put a few more LEO in prison. Lets see how much more tax dollars we can spend when it takes 10-20 LEO's to detain a guy on drugs because forbid any harm come to him.
                      I don't make a habit of backing liars, law enforcement or not. No need in lying about a good shoot. Period!

Comment

Working...
                      X