Favorite 22-250 bullet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite 22-250 bullet

Looking at buying a new 22-250 round that really takes care of WT to yotes and everything in between.

Always snagged whatever was on the shelf but starting to narrow it down to one solid choice.

Twist is 1:9 so wanting to stay on the heavier side and these noslers look like the route I’m going to go but figured I would ask around for a bit first.

That’s a bonded bullet so it should stay together and make smaller holes in animals. That twist rate might not work on bullets heavier than 70 grains.

Comment

Remington Green and Yellow box 55grain softpoint.. Hard to beat the simplicity and accuracy..

Comment

I bought a deuce deuce and a quarter last year and love it. I tried several rounds and all I will shoot now is the Hornady Superformance Varmit 50gr V-Max. Killed several does and varmints last year and love the round.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          Remington Green and Yellow box 55grain softpoint.. Hard to beat the simplicity and accuracy..

If you have to try and kill a deer with a 22 cal , might as well shoot a 55gr as chances are at some time or another you will go looking for cartridges and only find some 55gr and cor lock is readily available in a pinch
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 05-12-2019, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radar View Post
            That’s a bonded bullet so it should stay together and make smaller holes in animals. That twist rate might not work on bullets heavier than 70 grains.
            64 will be the top end.

Originally posted by pilar View Post
            If you have to try and kill a deer with a 22 cal , might as well shoot a 55gr as chances are at some time or another you will go looking for cartridges and only find some 55gr and cor lock is readily available in a pinch
            Plan on buying in bulk to reduce that becoming a issue (hopefully lol)

Comment

While the core-lokt bullet is fine, I just don't trust Remington to have their act together these days. I'd look for a more consistent load.

How about some Barnes TSX

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                While the core-lokt bullet is fine, I just don't trust Remington to have their act together these days. I'd look for a more consistent load.

How about some Barnes TSX
                Or a 60gr federal premium with a Nosler, they have a proven record for carrying enough energy to ethically try to kill deer size game out to 150 yards

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post

This is incredibly hard to beat. Most people knock this caliber and even Remington ammo for deer hunting but it has disconnected more pump stations than any other rifle in my safe. Stone cold killer.

Comment

I am partial to the 55 grain V-Max in the .22-250.

My kids use the 55 grain fusion and it has accounted for several deer, but it’s not the most accurate load in my rifle.

I have killed piles of deer with a .22-250, mostly with neck shots. Body shots they tend to run a bit and there may or may not be blood.

I wouldn’t mind shooting some does with it again, but for hunting I own several much better deer killers.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
                      This is incredibly hard to beat. Most people knock this caliber and even Remington ammo for deer hunting but it has disconnected more pump stations than any other rifle in my safe. Stone cold killer.

Yup ....It just not fancy enough for some......no fancy bullet names, no fancy colors, no fancy tips or names on the box. Just a good shooting soft point. My brothers have been using a 22-250 since the mid 90s and that is their goto for their factory 250s loads. They reload for all their other rifles and play the long range game...but they love that 250 round. When I started searching for one, they kept telling me green and yellow Remingtons 55 grain.... Finally bought one and the round is a shooter for sure. I'm gonna keep using it until it shows me I shouldn't.

Comment

I agree with the 55gr. Remington Softpoint. I haven't shot a deer with one but I've shot plenty of coyotes and smaller varmints with them and they're as good as anything else I've used. A little rough on fur on coyotes for what I do but it'll kill them no doubt. No complaints on accuracy or dependability. I've started using them more although I've tore some fur up with them because I can always sew a torn up pelt back together and I have a pretty good track record for stopping them in their tracks with that bullet.
                        Last edited by okrattler; 05-12-2019, 12:18 PM.

Comment

55grn vmax but I don't shoot deer with them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

With that twist the 60 grain Nosler Partition is a great fit, you can clobber game on the cheap with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I own 3 22-250's...all shoot 50 gr vmax very well.... all are 1:14, so I don't get to shoot heavy..2 shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups at 100yds so I don't reload for them...have a heavy barrel 26" that I reload 55vmax, and nosler ball tips....I truly can not tell you how many hogs, coyotes I have killed with them..

Comment

Working...
                              X