Fishing the 1st cut in South Padre

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fishing the 1st cut in South Padre

The past few days here in South Padre Island, I’ve been fishing the first cut right off the beach and I’m catching anywhere from 20-30 whiting in 2-3 hours. I’ve been using lightweight tackle and small cut up pieces of FishBites. Everything I’ve caught has been caught off the bottom. It’s been fun, but I’d like to catch something else off the beach. I don’t wanna go to the bay side as I’d like to stay near my family. My kids swim around me and play in the waves right beside me while I’m fishing.

Any suggestions as to other fish I could catch...and how to do it? I don’t know much about saltwater fishing and any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Johnson spoons(gold or silver) work for me. Also any shrimp looking plastic bait works too but you might have to go to 2nd cut.

Comment

Originally posted by joel45acp View Post
      Johnson spoons(gold or silver) work for me. Also any shrimp looking plastic bait works too but you might have to go to 2nd cut.
      I like throwing a Johnson sprite spoon to see if anything hits.

OP I usually start in the first gut and see what I get. Sometimes you can limit out on trout without going farther. You could also consider wading out and throwing some live bait on a surf rig and then coming back to shore. It’s more work than what you’re doing now.

Comment

I wade out to about chest high and fly fish, you can do the same with the spoon or soft plastics. You can see the fish tailing or popping bait out of the water. Sight cast to that and you should catch something. Here is a spec trout.
        Spec trout on the fly https://youtu.be/NYEYa0NLuPI

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Here are some Lady fish this trip I had a black drum beak a 20 lb leader on my fly rod.
          #flyfishing Poor Mans Tarpon on a Fiberglass Fly Rod in the Surf at Padre Island National Seashore https://youtu.be/G_63tDdTJww

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’d suggest adding a little weight and you should be able to stand in first gut and cast all the way to second gut from where you are (maybe 40yrd casts). Can catch just about anything with live shrimp, either rigged on bottom or with a popping cork. If you have a cast net try to catch some mullet and you can rig up with mullet. You can also throw all sorts of plastics, spoons, and topwaters as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been having good luck lately on silver spoons for speckled trout in the bay.

Comment

No need to get neck deep and get to third bar. I catch trout, reds, drum, Mack’s in 1st @ 2nd cut. Throw a spoon, gulp, or skitterwalk. May loose a little tackle if smacks are in but it can be a lot of fun

Comment

Daybreak while the kids are asleep. Read the saltwater thread. Vudu shrimp.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just got back from Padre island. I fished all the way out to the 3rd sand bar. Whiting was the only thing I could manage to get a bite from. Tried a few different baits and plastics but to no avail. I did manage some good keeper trout on the bay side by the main bridge but you need a boat or kayak to get to them. I had my kayak down there with me.

Comment

Go to the pier on the Isabel side at night. Buy some live shrimp, free line it with a #8 treble hook. You’ll catch all the trout you want. Was down there earlier this year and limited out every trip to the pier.

Comment

Trout of the beach was also early in the morning for me.
                        Before the swimmers get in.
                        And a good tide, wind helps.
                        Gulps are amazing.

Comment

Rig one of those whiting whole with a 18/0 circle using a customer wire leader from Roy’s. You will catch something bigger.

Comment

Cut a filet off one of those whiting and cut it into several long strips. Hook one of those on at the end of the strip on a bigger hook. It will flutter with the wave action and catch anything in the surf.

Even better is throw a cast net and catch some finger mullet.

Comment

Gut not cut fellas.

Comment

Working...
                              X