Lake Dunlap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
    Absolutley horrible.. This will never be fixed UNLESS some politicians get involved.. Politics and money go hand in hand.. I sure hope some heavy hitters have Lake Dunlap Property and their kids or grand kids are screaming right now.. If not then it's over..

These old dams breaking have me even more concerned about the OLD BIG dams in this state..
    Heavy hitters is the key to getting the dam fixed. Trust me there are some heavy hitters that own property on the lake, if your not from there you wouldn’t even know them

Comment

Originally posted by Zackme96 View Post
      One thing to keep in mind is Canyon Lake is above pool, and they are releasing a lot of water. Right now they are releasing 1700+ cfs. Under normal conditions, the release is around 100-200cfs. So things will probably look a lot different once Canyon gets back down to normal.
      This, 100%. Most people don’t realize this fact. Once it backs down to the normal summertime flow that lake (or what’s left of it) will look much different.

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
        Heavy hitters is the key to getting the dam fixed. Trust me there are some heavy hitters that own property on the lake, if your not from there you wouldn’t even know them
        Politics and money rule the world.. This will take both..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
          Absolutley horrible.. This will never be fixed UNLESS some politicians get involved.. Politics and money go hand in hand.. I sure hope some heavy hitters have Lake Dunlap Property and their kids or grand kids are screaming right now.. If not then it's over..

These old dams breaking have me even more concerned about the OLD BIG dams in this state..
          There are dozens of what I guess you would call small-to-medium sized lakes that are very important to their communities that have ancient dams. Case in point - Lake Cisco. Remember just a few years ago they couldn’t get the gates open on that 100 year old dam and the lake topped the emergency spillway which completely washed out a section of highway 6. Thank God it held - 500 surface acres of water dumping into that creek would have been a disaster. There’s no telling how many lakes around Texas are in the same condition

Comment

Sad deal! I used to bass fish there [emoji53].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by webb09 View Post
              Please enlighten us on the heavy hitters. There is zero reasons to fix the dam outside property values, which is a very crappy reason. It's not a real power, water or flood control lake so no incentive to spends millions and millions for recreation. Highly doubt that dam is every fixed.
              Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 05-19-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Take Dead Aim View Post
                Please enlighten us on the heavy hitters. There is zero reasons to fix the dam outside property values, which is a very crappy reason. It's not a real power, water or flood control lake so no incentive to spends millions and millions for recreation. Highly doubt that **** is every fixed.
                I'm guessing close to Austin it will get repaired fairly soon. JMO!

Comment

A dam of that scale can take years to design, followed by what can be years of permitting, followed by most importantly, somehow paying for the thing. We aren't talking farmer joe filling in a hole and putting in some boards. Unless it has some kind of flood control, or water supply function, the big money who put houses on the lake are going to be SOL for awhile. There will be enough complaining that eventually something will be done, but it ain't going to be anytime soon.

Comment

Please enlighten us on the heavy hitters. There is zero reasons to fix the dam outside property values, which is a very crappy reason. It's not a real power, water or flood control lake so no incentive to spends millions and millions for recreation. Highly doubt that dam is every fixed.
                    The BILLIONAIRE who owns/owned RackSpace lives on Lake Dunlap.....it will get fixed quick. He owns several hundred acres along the shore line.

Comment

Comical....must work for GBRA

Comment

No. Never even been to the lake. Actually never had heard of it until this incident. just using some common sense. I might be completely wrong but I just dont see anything leading me to believe that they will drop 10M plus on a new dam. I'll ask again who are the heavy hitters. That might change my stance on when and if it happens.

Comment

When the whole state was in serious drought about 10 years ago when all the lakes were seriously down. They drained water from Lake Lavon (drinking water) to help keep Lake Ray Hubbard full. Why would they do that? To keep all the MILLIONAIRES who live on that shore lines wallets happy by keeping their values up on their properties. They will fix the **** so the rich stay happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post
                            When the whole state was in serious drought about 10 years ago when all the lakes were seriously down. They drained water from Lake Lavon (drinking water) to help keep Lake Ray Hubbard full. Why would they do that? To keep all the MILLIONAIRES who live on that shore lines wallets happy by keeping their values up on their properties. They will fix the **** so the rich stay happy.

About 7 or 8 years ago I was at a July 4th party on Lake Granbury, which was about 12 foot low....which is pretty severe as it stays within a few feet of normal pool most of the time. People there were CONVINCED that it was so low because they were letting water out to keep Lake Whitney (downstream) boat ramps useable, and that Possum Kingdom (upstream) wasn't letting any water out so they could use their boat lifts. After a day I left Granbury and went to another party at Possum Kingdom, and you aint gonna believe this, but it was 14' low as well and the owners of that lake house were CONVINCED that BRA was letting water out of PK to keep Granbury and Whitney full.....argued with me about it for an hour, after I had literally been IN LAKE GRANBURY that very day.

I have developed a theory that when it doesn't rain for long enough, that lakes get lower and lower....until it rains enough to fill them up. I also believe that when it rains a whole **** ton...they can flood!

I have also noticed that lake house owners common sense level drops with the water, and then begins to drop again as the water gets substantially higher than normal.

Comment

Originally posted by TxSon1836 View Post

Your theory doesn't hold water(pun intended) when you look at Lake Travis. Not sure there is another lake in Texas that has as many million dollar homes. LCRA send water out of that lake constantly to rice farmers. It doesn't matter if it is a season of rain, drought, etc. Very wealthy people yell, scream, etc to no avail. If the LCRA doesn't listen to those owners on keeping that lake above average what makes you think little old Dunlap owners have any pull?
                              Last edited by Take Dead Aim; 05-20-2019, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dale moser View Post

About 7 or 8 years ago i was at a july 4th party on lake granbury, which was about 12 foot low....which is pretty severe as it stays within a few feet of normal pool most of the time. People there were convinced that it was so low because they were letting water out to keep lake whitney (downstream) boat ramps useable, and that possum kingdom (upstream) wasn't letting any water out so they could use their boat lifts. After a day i left granbury and went to another party at possum kingdom, and you aint gonna believe this, but it was 14' low as well and the owners of that lake house were convinced that bra was letting water out of pk to keep granbury and whitney full.....argued with me about it for an hour, after i had literally been in lake granbury that very day.

i have developed a theory that when it doesn't rain for long enough, that lakes get lower and lower....until it rains enough to fill them up. I also believe that when it rains a whole **** ton...they can flood!

I have also noticed that lake house owners common sense level drops with the water, and then begins to drop again as the water gets substantially higher than normal.

Crazy talk

Comment

Working...
                                X