No announcement yet.

Running dogs for hogs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98% of hog doggers give the other 2% a bad name.

Comment

The problem I have is when they think they have permission, but they didn't ask the person who can grant the permission. Our lease says we have all the hunting rights and no one else is allowed to hunt or run dogs.

Comment

Is it deer season yet?

Oh wait, yeah I guess it is.
        Sorry I'm used to seeing threads like this in the off-season.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
          98% of hog doggers give the other 2% a bad name.
          Lol

Comment

Don't mean to be rude but there will never be a hog dog on my ranch. Just don't like any dog that runs game. My land, My rules. Sorry

Comment

Just like everything in this world, there's good ones and bad ones. You never hear much about the good ones cause they don't bother anybody, but you always hear about someone complaining about the bad ones. I grew up doing it with y uncle and his friends, they don't bother anybody and do their best to not mess up anyone's hunting. Iknow most of them don't even hunt during deer season. I'm sure there are plenty of folks that have a bad taste in their mouth from people leasing land to deer hunt and have the same opinion you have. But that doesn't mean all deer hunters are bad either.

Comment

I hate cows

Comment

There is more of an adrenaline rush from hog dogging with good dogs than there is deer hunting for me. A good dog will never chase the trash anyway.

Comment

SMH!!!

Comment

Originally posted by HC Sniper View Post
                      Don't mean to be rude but there will never be a hog dog on my ranch. Just don't like any dog that runs game. My land, My rules. Sorry
                      You must live on your land and be there to watch it. Your land, your rules, but some of these hog doggers don't care about your rules.

Comment

Originally posted by TimH View Post
                        Once upon a time, 20 years or so ago, I remember hearing routinely from Catahoula hog dog owners that their dogs never strayed very far from the owner and would check back in every so often. On the few hog dog runs I went on, this is pretty much what I experienced. Only one time did a dog run off chasing a big hog that he could not stop and I remember the owner saying the dog was known for ranging out long distances but would eventually come back. We sat at the point where the dogs picked up the original trail and waited about two hours for him to come back. The rest of the dogs held up and came back fairly quickly.

I'm not sure what is most desireable, but has running hogs changed a lot in recent years, or are people using longer ranging breeds, or mixes?
                        Nope just too dang many folks claiming to be hog hunters theses days that have no business in the woods!

Its not any fun anymore and I go behind my house on my land and my neighbors and that's it. Too many guys running crazy in the woods these days!

Comment

Still here

I don't agree it started with the new tv shows, I've been getting pictures for many years now. My most recent was dandy 8 point coming through with just a few seconds later 2 dang dogs following. I personally think there should be a tpwd law stating you can legally dispatch a dog for chasing deer, but with proof. You can do it legally if it's chasing livestock so why not a deer?

Comment

I have a question to raise. Are any of y'all aware that in some other states (Mississippi I believe) that it is legal to hunt deer with dogs? And doing this when the dogs are on the trail of a deer the deer usually run in a circle back to the original spot and that is where they are taken. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have just been told about it by friends that have done it. Why would a deer completely run out of the country if a hog dog does happen to chase it off. Even though, I have never hunted with a hog dog that has chased a deer or even seemed interested in one.

Comment

Originally posted by chunkinlead View Post
                              I have a question to raise. Are any of y'all aware that in some other states (Mississippi I believe) that it is legal to hunt deer with dogs? And doing this when the dogs are on the trail of a deer the deer usually run in a circle back to the original spot and that is where they are taken. Someone correct me if I am wrong. I have just been told about it by friends that have done it. Why would a deer completely run out of the country if a hog dog does happen to chase it off. Even though, I have never hunted with a hog dog that has chased a deer or even seemed interested in one.
                              It is also legal in South Carolina. And no, a deer run by dogs does not run back in a circle. I ran deer here in Tx when it was legal. A deer will go for miles. And if a deer got out of the "drive", you tried real hard to get ahead of the dogs to catch them. Cause if you didn't, you may not find your dogs for days.
                              Now a rabbit, will just run in circles!!

Comment

I ran deer on the Alabama/Florida line when I was in HS and the guy with the dogs was a GW!!!! My best friends uncle, they did it all the time and everyone got along just fine....

Comment

Working...
                                X