Extreme f.o.c or heavy arrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not looking to start an argument and I’m sure this has been discussed but is there a perfect middle ground to building an arrow that has good weight up front that will still allow me to reach out to long ranges while I’m practicing. I’ve gone down the YouTube rabbit hole watching videos from ranch fairy to Josh bowmar and it’s got me itching to build some custom arrows

I built a few Heavy arrows this spring, over 600 grains with 200 grain heads. Was shooting a Diamond Carbon Cure 30/70, bow shot them well out to 40-50 yards but had a quite a bit of ark on the arrow at that distance. Pin gap was ridiculous at. IDK what the arrow speed was but can't imagine it was much over 220. I was amped up, drank the kool aid and was excited to give it a shot... then I bailed and bought a V3. Just ordered Easton Hexx arrows and ethics archery inserts and impact collars. Gonna shoot a 125-150 grain head and have arrow weight at 480-500. This seems to me a more reasonable set up. I don't make hunting shots past 35-40 but practice out to 55-60. Will have more info on 500 grain set up in week or so when i shoot through chrono with new arrows.

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the info a friend of mine has a fieldpoint test kit that goes up to 200 grains I might play around with it and see what happens

Comment

What’s your draw length, draw weight and what do you plan on hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WillowCity2506 View Post
            I built a few Heavy arrows this spring, over 600 grains with 200 grain heads. Was shooting a Diamond Carbon Cure 30/70, bow shot them well out to 40-50 yards but had a quite a bit of ark on the arrow at that distance. Pin gap was ridiculous at. IDK what the arrow speed was but can't imagine it was much over 220. I was amped up, drank the kool aid and was excited to give it a shot... then I bailed and bought a V3. Just ordered Easton Hexx arrows and ethics archery inserts and impact collars. Gonna shoot a 125-150 grain head and have arrow weight at 480-500. This seems to me a more reasonable set up. I don't make hunting shots past 35-40 but practice out to 55-60. Will have more info on 500 grain set up in week or so when i shoot through chrono with new arrows.
            Totally agree, I tried very light to very heavy ( 1500 taw) and find 500ish, to work very very well.

Comment

I am 28" draw shooting 60lbs and am shooting a 530gr arrow at between 18-19% FOC. The zip right through deer and they act like they don't even know what happened. Take only a few steps and stand there until they fall over.

Comment

It is relatively easy to build a 500-550 grain arrow with high FOC (16-18%), I would consider that the “sweet spot” for NA big game bowhunting….most of what I do falls within that range and guys have great success in the field.

[emoji1662]

Comment

I went with extreme FOC based on Dr Ashby’s research.

710 grains, 25.4% FOC

Comment

I started building my own last year. I'm middle of the road. Easton hexx 260, 75gr brass insert, 125gr broadhead. Total arrow weight of 505gr. I tell you what, the penetration is incredible. I watched some ranch fairy videos and decided to bare shaft and nock tune. That makes such a big difference in accuracy its crazy. As long as I do my part, broadheads and field points will touch at 60yards.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
                      I started building my own last year. I'm middle of the road. Easton hexx 260, 75gr brass insert, 125gr broadhead. Total arrow weight of 505gr. I tell you what, the penetration is incredible. I watched some ranch fairy videos and decided to bare shaft and nock tune. That makes such a big difference in accuracy its crazy. As long as I do my part, broadheads and field points will touch at 60yards.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                      How do you like Hexx arrows? Just purchased a dozen and will be setting them up as soon as they come in. Was going to go with ethics archery insert and collars. If I go with a 125 head I'll come in around 505. So basically the same arrow, I'll just have a collar instead of heavier insert.

Comment

If you are committed to running weight forward you may look at running the majority of the weight in the tip rather than insert weight. The total arrow weight will be the same but the FOC will always be a little higher. If I had the choice a 175 grain head with a 25 grain insert or a 125 grain head with 75 grains of insert weight the former gets the nod every time. It’s a little different situation is somebody is already running a certain weight head they like in 100 or 125 but for a new build the best practice is building it at the tip.

[emoji1662]

Comment

450-500 with 18-22% FOC is a pretty good sweet spot as far as trajectory and momentum.

Comment

I was like my setup... if I remember correctly 623 gr right around 16% foc with a 125 gr annihilator broadhead on it. I did chrono it at 230 fps, 70#, 28" draw, and the bow was rated for 340. I know it will never hit that speed but I guess all that weight and foc still flying at only a 33% decrease of the fastest possible is worth it to me.

To me the bow and the arrow each have a job to do. The bow's job is to send something down range as fast as possible and the arrows job is to hit it with as much force as possible. That's done by having the bow's speed compliment the arrows weight. Just my theory.
                            Last edited by ctom87; 06-24-2021, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                              I was like my setup... if I remember correctly 623 gr right around 16% foc with a 125 gr annihilator broadhead on it. I did chrono it at 230 fps, 70#, 28" draw, and the bow was rated for 340. I know it will never hit that speed but I guess all that weight and foc still flying at only a 33% decrease of the fastest possible is worth it to me.

To me the bow and the arrow each have a job to do. The bow's job is to send something down range as fast as possible and the arrows job is to hit it with as much force as possible. That's done by having the bow's speed compliment the arrows weight. Just my theory.
                              I like the theory! Makes sense to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X