No announcement yet.

Tell me about your home energy back up system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m ready for your suggestions on reputable sales folks to call.
    The generator/solar industry seems like there’s some room for shade trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
      If you already have a decent-sized tractor, look into a pto-powered generator. No engine to maintain this way. Then just make it to where the bare necessities can be transferred to it.

Otherwise, propane-powered standby is the way to go but way more $$

This works well but make sure you have high temp and low oil shutdown systems installed

Comment

We are gas cooking, wood burning & gas heat, have 17kw whole house generator, full garden, freezer full of game and 1000gal propane tank kept full to run it all going

Comment

Looking to put together what Bassdeer's friend did.

About all I can afford right now. System that can backfeed the house in an emergency.

Long term I'm looking into a solar system with battery backup.

Comment

Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then I’ll get it all setup
            Attached Files

Comment

I have two generators that total up to about 20kw. Presently just one transfer switch that will handle four circuits. Next step is to get a transfer switch that allows me to switch the entire panel over to generator or line voltage. That way I can pick and choose which circuits to leave on. I don't necessarily want or need to use both generators for short term power outages. The mess this past February didn't cause enough of a problem to even use one generator. Our home is all electric and has a wood stove for supplemental heat. Our biggest mistake when building was to install heat pumps. They are pretty useless below thirty-five degrees.

Comment

What does it cost to get a. Transfer switch installed. Anyone know someone here in the DFW area that could install one

Bought a 10k dual fuel gen. Would like to get it all installed before the summer heat outages

Comment

Originally posted by warrington View Post
                  What does it cost to get a. Transfer switch installed. Anyone know someone here in the DFW area that could install one

Bought a 10k dual fuel gen. Would like to get it all installed before the summer heat outages
                  Around $1500.00
                  Get a whole home surge protector installed also. It's cheep................

Comment

Warrington, much depends on your current set up, what meter and panel (panels) you have. The largest outlet on your generator should be a 14-50r receptacle, (125/250v 50amp 4 wire).. so you will need the 50amp rated power inlet..

There are many types of transfer switches, much depends on which one you want.

Call 3 electrical contraxtors.. get written quotes, not estimates.
                    Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-13-2021, 07:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RMW View Post
                      Got this 40kw Cummins generator just waiting on the transfer switch to get here, then I’ll get it all setup
                      That it huge..................

Comment

I already have a 5500k generator. From what I ve seen and read a 7000-7500k will run everything in a regular size home. My question is can my 5500 with a transfer switch installed, run my entire 1500 sq ft house?

Comment

You need to do a load calculation.
                          No, you cannot be washing clothes with a load in the dryer, while you have a turkey in the oven and take a shower with an electric water heater.. meanwhile, its 100 degrees and you have the AC on..
                          Your 5500watt gen is only about 22 amps of 120/240 power.
                          The 7500watt will get you 31.25, max. Which will do a lot, just not all at the same time.. the 40kw unit above would run it all.. and then some.
                          So many variables.. do you have a well? Do you have NG for cooking, heat, and a water heater?
                          Total electric homes require larger generators..its all based on demand.. how many watts of electricity do you want, vs. have to have.. are you trying to run it all.. or only the essentials on a part time basis.
                          Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 06-13-2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zmaxhunter View Post
                            You need to do a load calculation.
                            No, you cannot be washing clothes with a load in the dryer, while you have a turkey in the oven and take a shower with an electric water heater.. meanwhile, its 100 degrees and you have the AC on..
                            Your 5500watt gen is only about 22 amps of 120/240 power.
                            The 7500watt will get you 31.25, max. Which will do a lot, just not all at the same time.. the 40kw unit above would run it all.. and then some.
                            So many variables.. do you have a well? Do you have NG for cooking, heat, and a water heater?
                            Total electric homes require larger generators..its all based on demand.. how many watts of electricity do you want, vs. have to have.. are you trying to run it all.. or only the essentials on a part time basis.
                            I would say summer would want to run central AC, fridge, freezer, septic and lights. Heat,lights septic during winter. Total electric home. Looks like I need a bigger generator!
                            Last edited by Abcdj; 06-13-2021, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              I would say summer would want to run central AC, fridge, freezer, septic and lights. Heat,lights septic during winter. Total electric home. Looks like I need a bigger generator!
                              Or do like what I’ve seen suggested. Keep an 8k btu window unit a/c for power outages. If the power goes out, slap the window unit into a living room window. Close all other doors in the house and only cool that one area. A 5k generator can run that a/c, some lights, a fan or two, and a fridge.

But if you go this route then you need to store at least a tank or two of gas for it.

Comment

We have a generac 22k that runs on propane since we are very rural. Approximately 4.5 years no trouble yet. I have it serviced once a year. We also lose our electricity above average than most due to all the trees and above ground utilities.

Comment

Working...
                                X