Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
    I served 2, 2 year stints.
    Meaning I signed up for two and reupped for 2 more before the first two ran out.

I went in at 18 and did a lot of growing up in those 4 years.

I can recommend it, but that’s based on my 27 years ago experience.
    The CG is a smaller branch, so the work load is spread out to include everyone with multiple task.
    My example to that is while I was a mechanic on our patrol boat I was also the small boat coxswain, then the acting “boarding officer”- and we performed a lot of boardings in the gulf doing fisheries.
    Aside from the Patrol boat out of Sabine Pass, I also served on what the Coast Guard calls a ship out of Port Canaveral Florida. Good times were had at both places.

On a side note-
    I think the Coast Guard is where my brain got broke.
    I left thinking things are to be done by the book or else there were consequences.
    The world I live in is about polar opposite of that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thats would actually be good!
    Originally posted by Blane View Post
    Talked with a couple of guys in Kema one year who I believe were CG and not Navy. Kinda in a patrol boat smaller than the big DPS boats but still had weapon systems mounted. They did marine interdiction. I would bet a tough group to get in with, but would be a lot of fun. Prob. only transition over to LE later down the line.
    I doubt he would want to be in Law Enforcement but that role in the Coast Guard would be interesting!
    Originally posted by MagicBlade View Post
    Great option! Friend of mine's son was trying to get in the CG Academy but they reduced the number allowed this year.
    Good luck to the young man!
    CG Academy acceptance could take up to two years from what I have learned. Thinking of enlisting and if he likes it then he could still apply for academy.
    Originally posted by AZST_bowhunter View Post
    I was in the navy and eorked in ship navigation and regret not getting my boat captains license while in.. i had the chance to do it but blew it off.. there is a tone you can do with that. Im sure you can go look at the jobs and see ehat applys to real world training. If anything, your son will do a lot of growing up and gain valuable work experience. Just make sure he tries to do something he thinks he will enjoy, ive seen plenty in the service hating their life because their job sucks.. (cooks, boatswain mate... undes deck depatment..)

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    And this is the concern! Getting into an area that is NOT transferable into a GOOD life as a civilian. Service roles in the military translate into service roles in the real world.......not the best of pay in MOST cases. Yes, exposure to growth opportunities are needed.
    Originally posted by DaveC View Post
    Haha, “choose your rate , choose your fate” was a common saying when I was in.

They would dangle becoming a cook straight out of boot camp so you’d skip being a non rate (E-2/E-3) and go straight from boot camp to being a petty officer(E-4). Thus skipping the normal non rate status of doing grunt work while you waited for your “A” school opening to come up.

Few E-4 cooks that I ran into enjoyed life. Peel this, cook that day after day gets old I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    GREAT post!!!! Good things come to those that plan to wait and wait to plan!!! Getting a higher E rating short term does not translate to long term opportunity. Thanks for sharing that!

Comment

I’ll send Rob a message to post on this thread...20 years in the CG.

Comment

I have friends who were very successful after having served in the Air Force.

Comment

He’ll never be able to enlist unless he is a non-binary minority raised by two same sex parents. He will also have to support BLM because the Biden administration just came out in support of them.

He should become a certified Plumber instead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny44 View Post
            he’ll never be able to enlist unless he is a non-binary minority raised by two same sex parents. He will also have to support blm because the biden administration just came out in support of them.

He should become a certified plumber instead.
            :d:d:d:d:d:d

Comment

Marines are out because you’d have to fly (run the flag up the pole) the BLM flag on George Floyd day at embassies around the world.

You just can’t make this stuff up !

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                I have known two people who joined the coast guard, one is my father in law, he was a captain of a ship that serviced buoys and other navigational related pieces out in the water. He was stationed in San Francisco if I remember correctly. He claimed they would sail to islands in the south Pacific to work on whatever needed repair. From what I understand most of those pieces have regular service intervals, so the services are planned every so often.
                He likes to claim he was in the Navy, until you get to asking him what he did in the Navy. After the Coast Guard, he went on to be a crew boat captain, and tug boat captain, an A Hole, and a alcoholic. Not sure if he picked up the last two characteristics in the Coast Guard, or if those were things he picked up else where.

Then I also went to school with a guy who joined the Coast Guard, he got stationed on a boat, that also serviced buoys. I think he was on a smaller boat, that mainly worked near shore, he was based out of some port in the north east, some where around New York. His big experience that I know of for his career, was catching a state record sail fish while out on the Coast Guard boat. I think he is a master goof off now, but really don't know much about him since he got out of the Coast Guard.

Then there was one other guy I used to know years ago, he got into working on Coast Guard helicopters. The Coast Guard, has a lot of helicopters and fixed wing air craft. So if you have any interest in a field in air craft, they might be the place to go.
                Have a coworker who did the same gig but on the buoys in Alaska on a very large ship He enjoyed it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbustr View Post
                  Have a coworker who did the same gig but on the buoys in Alaska on a very large ship He enjoyed it.

Those are ATON units. Aids to navigation, the black hulled fleet.
                  They are the working ships/boats to keep the waterways moving/ navigable.
                  I never worked directly with them, but rumor had it it was a fun / hard work billet. Shared many a beer with a few of them from the Sabine Pass station.

I can only imagine they see less action than the White hulled LE/ SAR segment of the service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I went to the downtown Houston military recruiting offices in 1979. Grandad did 37 years in the Navy 1920s - 1950s / Fought the Japanese the entire war. Enlisted at 17 and retired as a Lieutenant Commander. USS Lexington battle of Coral Sea, skipper of his own Gunboat - firing at Japanese positions Guadalcanal / Kamikaze hit on on of the ships and then the rebuilding of Japan, after 1945, working with the men who tried to kill him.

I had a 4 year, free ride to college, Dad had me covered and he was doing, what Grandpa and Great Grandpa did before. Save and send the oldest son to college. The afternoon I told Dad, I was not interested in Texas Tech (his 3 degrees sourced there), I was joining the US Coast Guard.

Let's just say, I did not receive a warm and fuzzy from Dad.

Grandpa on the other hand - OH HELLS YEAH!

The Houston recruiter, up to 1980, stated, I scored the highest entrance exam at the Houston Recruiting office. I didn't think much of it, and had I really leveraged it, I could of gone to the Academy or any Guaranteed Service school based on my scores. I had no clue, I went to them fully expecting to serve and I wanted to go in like Grandpa, at the bottom and serve as he did.

Grandpa never talked about WWII to anyone, for years after the war. When I, his only grandson turned 11, he began to tell me of his experiences in World War II - Pacific Theater - the entire war.

CHAPTER ONE - GUADALCANAL

My Grandpa Roberts, was the main influence in my young life. A war veteran, a Naval Officer, he gave me a Japanese sword and military carbine - given to him, during a Japanese Island surrender at the end of the war.

To this day, this is what I remember

Comment

"If you're looking for life at 25, and you can't seem to get things right, you may spend the better part of your life trying to make it right, and you just may never get there. Join the military, put 4 years in, contemplate about your future, get away from your hometown, vices, influences and family - stand on your own two feet and SERVE.

Inside, you will find what you are looking for."

Grandpa is the Senior Officer below, 1945 Island surrender - Grandpa's Gunboat flotilla, secured this island at the end of the war. I know no details of the island but, the Japanese Senior Officer, surrendered his sword and rifle to Grandpa, the senior Naval Officer US Navy in this scene.

I had a war hero for a Grandpa, a Leader of men and the skipper of a Fighting ship, charged with fighting the Japanese and keeping his men and crew motivated to fight, over and over and over for years on end, with no end to the war in sight.

This man influenced me to serve.......and being the first born American son, of my Polish last name (Grandpa escaped Poland in 1937 - 2 years before Germany invaded Poland - the second time. Grandpa Z was a teenage, caught up in the first world war and survived. The family had their last two sons, leave for the west - Grandpa Z went to Mexico and his brother - Rio de Janeiro

Being a FIRST BORN AMERICAN, with an American Grandpa who not only served, earned a Bronze Star, Officers Commission, Commanding Officer of his own ship and Commanding Officer of Naval Station Panama - Mom the only child - the daughter of the SHIPS SKIPPER

I enlisted and I earned my Officers Commission, moving into realm of the ranks of the CHIEF WARRANT OFFICER - US COAST GUARD RETIRED

I had some tough BOONDOCKERS to fill..........and I followed him in the same fashion ENLISTED and then COMPETE IN THE FIELD FOR AN OFFICERS PROMOTION

Comment

I spent 7 years in the CG wouldn’t change a thing. Most off my time was in HH65. Saw awesome places and saved a few lives. Nothing in more rewarding than picking up people who would have never made it. Some didn’t but at least we tried. Only regrets... and it’s not really one.... I didn’t stay in. I have a wonderful family and a good job. I wouldn’t have my family if I would have stayed in. Sure I would have one but....it’s life. DO IT. The scores for entry have to be high.

Comment

I earned a COMMENDATION MEDAL, three ACHIEVEMENT MEDALS and 6 LETTERS OF COMMENDATION and competed and earned my OFFICERS COMMISSION.

When I joined, at 20 years of military service, you retired with half of the annual total of your highest rank.

When I retired in January 2000, I was making a pretty good Officers salary, around the 50k annual rate - which is great for the military back in those years.

I get 27,000 bucks every year, 1099-R retirement, which augments my Information Technology salary - 38 years of IT experience.

The US Coast Guard set me up beyond my wildest dreams. But the 20 years I served, 1980 - 2000 / Analog to Digital transformation happened, on my watch.

I graduated 2nd in my Boot camp class. I had choices of duty stations, Hawaii, Virginia Beach, Seattle, Miami, Florida Keys etc........All of these assignments were small boat stations.

I didn't want to be on shore, I wanted my first duty assignment to be a ship, just like Grandpa who chose to join the Navy and his ship, the USS Lexington - sunk at the Battle of Coral Sea. Grandpa had been aboard Lexington 7 years, before she was sunk - an original PLANK OWNER of the first Super Carrier in the world.

I chose the USCGC Midgett, homeported in San Francisco California - right near Coast Guard bootcamp - the old West Coast boot camp closed in 1981 forever.

I still remember climbing the brow, seabag tossed over my shoulder, button line salute to the Officer of the Day and requested permission to come aboard........

I got eyeballed and then ridiculed. Only rejects get ships - the guys who couldn't score well and or physically weak etc etc etc. I was made fun of for being ranked so high in my class yet picking the worst assignment - apparently ship life at sea isn't as romantic for some, I didn't care about any of them.......none of them, had a GRANDPA like mine who was alive and well during my first 10 years of service time.

I was driven - my personal conviction to not let him down and fail, with a new IMMIGRANT FAMILY who now has their first son, serving in the US ARMED FORCES

I not only served, I retired with an officers commission, which now has my Families last name listed forever, in the "US Coast Guards Officers Registry, the names of all US Coast Guard Officers, who have served in the Guard - forever listed in WASHINGTON DC under the US COAST GUARD

This is what fueled me - nothing to do with career paths after service, I had 20 years to do, 4 kids to raise and a wife and every 2-5 years, we were forced to move. West coast to east coast, Gulf coast to Washington State - my kids in and out of public schools all over the country.

Life was challenging, tough and my kids and wife, took a lot to adjust with the many regional moves and changes.

Comment

The US Coast Guard service members, all of them, are FEDERAL LAW ENFORCEMENT OFFICIALS

POSSE COMITATUS - Prevents the Department of Defense (standard military) from acting in any LAW ENFORCEMENT capacity.

In the US Coast Guard, by default, you are a FEDERAL MARSHAL - Customs authority, DEA authority, Wildlife fishery and coastal habitats, Fisheries enforcement, Maritime Pollution response and enforcement, speed traps - no wake zones, pollution response and interdiction, human trafficking, drug and endangered species enforcement.....every ship, inbound to any major US Seaport, all of it, is controlled by the US Coast Guard Vessel Traffic Safety folks - like the FAA controlling aircraft.......

Small boat Stations like Port Isabel, Port Aransas, Port O'Connor - all of them are a viable part of their local communities. You eat lunch with the Mayor or Chief of Police of Fire Chief - why? Because they need the US Coast Guard and living and working in these coastal communities, you are the firehouse, boat house, EMT with 7x24x365 and Helicopter/Jet evacuation coverage, half million to well over a million dollar small boats sit in the boat house. M16 full auto machine guns, shotguns, pistols - yes this is part of your gear because you are A COP WITH A BOAT AND A LOT OF DUTIES TO COVER IN A REGION OF RESPONSIBILITY that is above the STATE LEVEL support.

The Coast Guard 4100 form, the ticket like a DPS trooper carries and writes up violations on the highway - that US Coast Guard boat coxswain, with 2 - 3 people as part of his crew and responsibilities as he runs the boat and works following all missions of the Coast Guard - that guy or gal can write tickets with fines upwards of 5 MILLION DOLLARS

This is a military guy, earning military pay, running a million dollar small boat, with automatic weapons onboard - and yet you don't know he's armed to the teeth.

That guy and his CG 4100 = 5 million dollar fine

The entrance exam into the US Coast Guard is the highest of all services. If you pass the USCG SAT to enter, you can go to UT, TECH and or A&M because, the bar is high because the US Coast Guard has advanced missions and the responsibilities for enlisted folks, is very high.

All other military service branches would never ever, turn their enlisted folks loose with a multi-million dollar boat, automatic weapons and engaged the public without getting you, your command, the US Coast Guard sued for saying or doing something absolutely stupid and not withstanding, the values and reputation of the US Coast Guard with Joe and Jane Public

At any moment, a Coast Guardsman may be involved in a public event, that involves a community, dangerous conditions - some may be toxic chemicals - wildlife protection - and cameras all up in your face with the public as your witness - this is the operating environment - hence the reason why the bar must be high, the USCG needs smart people because they will be charged alone and or with small teams to represent IN PUBLIC, EVERY MISSION SUPPORTED with no OFFICERS GENERALS ADMIRALS CAPTAINS TOP BRASS NICKLE AND DIMING EVER DECISIONS

They cant because, they are on the beach miles and miles away and you are running the ICW dealing the the weekend warriors etc etc etc

Comment

If you want to be able to hunt and fish in different states without having to pay out of state fees, Coast Guard is where its at.
                              Want to take a 47' boat out in 10-15' breaking waves over the bow because your CO & XO are bored, Coast Guard it is.
                              Want an oppurtunity to go to the hottest vacation spots in the country for free, Coast Guard it is.
                              Just make sure you do basic in summer and not winter in NJ...rather sweat then walk through a blizzard to chow hall.

Comment

I sailed Alaska and the Bering Sea aboard USCGC Midgett - my first two years as a boot up to E3 / at sea sailor and Boatswains Mate watch captain.

I've sailed and steered ships thousand upon thousands of miles - Maine to South America - the entire Caribbean out to the West Indies and all the way west to Panama and Belize and the reefs of the western Caribbean. Alaska above the Arctic circle and down to South America and out the Aleutian Islands to Russia

I've pulled dead bodies out of the water

I've smelt rotting salt water soaked flesh, witnessed the pain of the families, felt the pain in my gut of hopelessness.....I've cried myself to sleep several times

I've watched people commit suicide jumping to their death off bridges as we waited

I've listened to ships sink, men cry, cuss and pray

I've pulled suicide bridge jumpers, off the Oakland Bay bridge with a California Highway patrolman taking order from me as I cover the jumper - he cuffed and hauled him in for eval - only to watch him jump a few weeks later, same spot and then 2 weeks later, recover the body on a mud flat miles away

I've talked to men, skippers and captains - as the last human voice ashore before the sea took them - GOD BLESS EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU

I've had my heart in my throat, held on for life for days in storms - storms that snapped 600ft ships in half with 26 Japanese fishermen/sailors/sons-fathers-brothers GONE = 180 NAUTICAL MILES NORTHWEST DUTCH HARBOR ALASKA

We rode that storm 5 days, set back 3 miles per hour backwards, as we held the ships bow into the 60-70ft seas with freak waves of 100 plus ever few hours.....we got shoved backwards for 3 days straight.

Port side Jet turbine engine - ripped out of it's engine mount and the starboard side main diesel engine supercharger destroyed

The Captain of this ship, ADMIRAL ROBERT E KRAMEK, went on to become the Commandant of the US Coast Guard. I worked for him on the Midget, in Miami chasing Pablo Escobar during the Miami Vice era and then as he served as the senior officer for the entire Guard.

I was at his retirement - he gave me a bear hug in front of a ton of politicians and brass - US Coast Guard Academy - He spotted me wearing my CWO uniform - he smiled and bum rushed thru the crowd on impulse

WE WILL NEVER FORGET THAT STORM

Comment

Working...
                                X