No announcement yet.

Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have the specs for this picture? Specifically roof pitch. Looks 5-6 on 12???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

man, that is something the wife wants, some nice ideas ...

Comment

So we broke ground on the outdoor kitchen. It’s been one issue after the next with our GC and his contractors. Just wanted to get TBHers opinions.

First issue was with the slab. We get a message 3 weeks ago on a Saturday morning that they were pouring concrete at 10:00am. We were out of town, but figured no big deal. I turned a camera in that direction so I could watch. Well they run out of concrete about 2pm. 2 hours later they start mixing sackcrete. I about lost it. Called GC and left a message. He texted me back that it will be strong and he will warranty it. Sackcrete was poured on top of concrete that was over the rebar. Looks like terrible. We meet the GC the following week and he insured that it will not have cold joints and the spray deck will hide the seam. We asked for 5 year warranty since he is so confident. Think we settled on 3 years.

Later that week his framing crew shows up. I think they forgot their tape measure, square and level at home.

Bow in the ridge and decking not square.

Decking doesn’t over lap the rafter.

Split cedar where it bearing the load of the roof.

Hole in the decking.

Rafter is cracked off in soffit area.

Rafters not flush to the ridge beam. Causing the uneven ridge line.

Missing rafters at the back of the structure.

The soffit boards are not cut the same length. Hard to see in the picture but they Facia is bowed out in the center.

GC hasn’t been here to inspect this pour excuse for framing. Said he was too busy with meetings this past week but can be here next Tuesday. I’m livid. Would y’all be?

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
          So we broke ground on the outdoor kitchen. It’s been one issue after the next with our GC and his contractors. Just wanted to get TBHers opinions.

First issue was with the slab. We get a message 3 weeks ago on a Saturday morning that they were pouring concrete at 10:00am. We were out of town, but figured no big deal. I turned a camera in that direction so I could watch. Well they run out of concrete about 2pm. 2 hours later they start mixing sackcrete. I about lost it. Called GC and left a message. He texted me back that it will be strong and he will warranty it. Sackcrete was poured on top of concrete that was over the rebar. Looks like terrible. We meet the GC the following week and he insured that it will not have cold joints and the spray deck will hide the seam. We asked for 5 year warranty since he is so confident. Think we settled on 3 years.

Later that week his framing crew shows up. I think they forgot their tape measure, square and level at home.

Hole in the decking.

The soffit boards are not cut the same length. Hard to see in the picture but they Facia is bowed out in the center.

GC hasn’t been here to inspect this pour excuse for framing. Said he was too busy with meetings this past week but can be here next Tuesday. I’m livid. Would y’all be?

Man !
          I hate crappy contractors. Too many suck azz people out there selling jobs.
          If you didn’t grow up with an erector set and Lincoln logs, then you shouldn’t be allowed to build anything later in life.
          Sorry you got ahold of a no good contractor. Hope he can fix things for you.

Comment

Hole in the decking.

I’d be upset as well. My BIL had one bull last year by a contractor and had same issues. Your GC does not happen to be a full time firefighter who does this on the side does he?

Comment

Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
              I’d be upset as well. My BIL had one bull last year by a contractor and had same issues. Your GC does not happen to be a full time firefighter who does this on the side does he?

Nope. This guy does this full time supposedly.

Comment

How about the fire place design he was planning on using. Claims this is safe for a wood burning fire place.

I stopped all construction at this point.

He claims he never agreed to a masonary fire place. Just fire brick fire box. Does this look safe? Very far from code.

Comment

So he sux all the time, not just my sometimes. Hope you get it all fixed and will be able to enjoy the outdoor kitchen. I grew up with one and after my dad built it we very seldom cooked in the house.

Comment

That looks a hair too far along to fix correctly as well?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

What area is this guy in? It would be a public disservice not too divulge who this is.. That's some of the worst workmanship I've ever seen!

Comment

Following

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          That looks a hair too far along to fix correctly as well?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not going to settle for that. It will be built right before it’s all over. I used to frame forts like this when I was 9 years old.

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                          What area is this guy in? It would be a public disservice not too divulge who this is.. That's some of the worst workmanship I've ever seen!

Katy. I’ll let everyone know the company after it’s all said and done. I’m going to give him a chance to make it right.

Comment

Katy. I’ll let everyone know the company after it’s all said and done. I’m going to give him a chance to make it right.

Sorry you’re having to deal with this. Sucks when a contractor turns out to be a scheduler and doesn’t know what he’s doing. There is zero reasons to be short on concrete, simple math, the framing is just a matter of crews not knowing how to frame. In my experiences it’s best to just cut ties with the guy now. He’ll probably loose money on the job to make it right and I’d bet that’s not an option for him. He probably could have agreed to 30yr warranty on the slab because he won’t be in business for very long.

Comment

That looks like you hired me to build it. Absolutely horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by bklem View Post
                                That looks like you hired me to build it. Absolutely horrible.
                                I thought my 8yr old, 5yr old and 3yr did some questionable carpentry work!!!! Lol

This is a whole different level!

Comment

Working...
                                X