Somerville 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somerville 2020/21

Well finally said screw it and pit my boots on the ground out there after not being there since mid Dec no sign of life lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Keep walking. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArcheryAssassin View Post
      Keep walking. [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk
      Been hunting it for 12 yrs walked from corner to corner they be ready by Oct lol

Comment

I plan on trying my luck up there this year. If I ask some etiquette questions, please have some grace. I have never hunted public land, but always been raised to respect everyone’s right to an unmolested hunt.

I have some friends that live in the area where I can keep my RV and will more than likely hunt during the week.I plan on hitting the ground later this month to start scouting.

How do I get more information about the rules like baiting, stands, etc.?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 01milburnsc View Post
          I plan on trying my luck up there this year. If I ask some etiquette questions, please have some grace. I have never hunted public land, but always been raised to respect everyone’s right to an unmolested hunt.

I have some friends that live in the area where I can keep my RV and will more than likely hunt during the week.I plan on hitting the ground later this month to start scouting.

Baiting isn't allowed after aug 15th you can use scent like tink and so on but no corn or feed of any kind can be used its a bow only land stands as the rules show can only be there for up to 72 hr but I have yet to see one be picked up if longer than 72 hrs I WOULD LOCK THE STAND due to ignorant punks who steal them if they see them but other that just please don't wait till opening weekend to follow people and then scout that day hahah

Comment

GD47,

Thanks for the info.

Would never scout on the weekends after opening day. That’s just asking to have fecal matter smeared on your windshield.

Comment

And yes it is public land so you can't "claim" a area but most of us have hunted the same areas for yrs so if you see one or cameras out there please just move on and give that person the respect of a few 100 yards

Comment

GD47,

Thanks for the info.

Would never scout on the weekends after opening day. That’s just asking to have fecal matter smeared on your windshield.

Any time iv been out there for 12 yrs now and LOVE it 90% of us are good folks lol if you ever need help or anything feel free to ask!!!!

Comment

I plan on definitely putting in my own work, and hope to be of assistance if any of the veterans need it. I have a lot of time off built up from this pandemic so I will be out during the week mostly.

Comment

If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?

Comment

If I were going to use a cell cam what service works better, AT&T or Verizon?

The cam has to be for whatever provider you use and I know they can be tracked but I'd find a way to lock that sucker up iv had 5 cams stolen in the last 4 yrs!

Comment

I plan on definitely putting in my own work, and hope to be of assistance if any of the veterans need it. I have a lot of time off built up from this pandemic so I will be out during the week mostly.

But I have att phone service and have signal almost everywhere

Comment

Welcome! And good luck! Make sure to have your normal hunting permit along with your APH(Annual Public Hunting) for this coming up hunting season. When you purchase your APH, you will get mailed a book of all the public lands, rules, maps, etc. You have to do OSR(On Site Registration) every time you go out there. I do mine on the Texas public land/OSR app each time. I always follow the 72 hour rule of moving my stand and I still lock mine up during that time. There are two units out there and I always have several spots picked out at both units because you never know who will come in or show up to an area...it’s public land so have a few backup plans. Just my opinion, but the deer are not hard to pattern out there, but the legal bucks are very smart. Be careful out there and bring LOTs of water when scouting. Season starts in less then 2 months, so get out there!

Comment

Originally posted by mdoug1076 View Post
                            Welcome! And good luck! Make sure to have your normal hunting permit along with your APH(Annual Public Hunting) for this coming up hunting season. When you purchase your APH, you will get mailed a book of all the public lands, rules, maps, etc. You have to do OSR(On Site Registration) every time you go out there. I do mine on the Texas public land/OSR app each time. I always follow the 72 hour rule of moving my stand and I still lock mine up during that time. There are two units out there and I always have several spots picked out at both units because you never know who will come in or show up to an area...it’s public land so have a few backup plans. Just my opinion, but the deer are not hard to pattern out there, but the legal bucks are very smart. Be careful out there and bring LOTs of water when scouting. Season starts in less then 2 months, so get out there!
                            Mannnnn thanks for backing me up on this totally forgot about the check in!!! Thank ya lol I REALLY need to go look at nails iv never step foot on it or even deanville side lol guess why leave when you got what you got huh lol may have to get out to those areas mid Sept hopw for a cold spell ya know like high 80s lol

Comment

I know where your honey hole is and won’t go near it!......don’t worry I won’t be the guy walking around opening morning playing Rambo and trying to “stalk” one thru there lol! There are good bucks at Nails and Yegua units....I’ve seen shooters at both. If we don’t get flooded out this year, I believe it will be one of the best years yet. Hopefully the acorns will be better than last year.

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                              Mannnnn thanks for backing me up on this totally forgot about the check in!!! Thank ya lol I REALLY need to go look at nails iv never step foot on it or even deanville side lol guess why leave when you got what you got huh lol may have to get out to those areas mid Sept hopw for a cold spell ya know like high 80s lol

Comment

Working...
                              X