Alligator draw hunt question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alligator draw hunt question

I was looking through an email TPWD sent me and it mentioned alligator draw hunts. My question is...do only people who know how to gator hunt apply or if drawn do they hire an alligator guide? Do the hunts come with a guide? It would be awesome to take my son on an alligator hunt but I would not have the knowledge or equipment to do it if drawn.

You just need a flat bottom boat, it's not hard....and tons of fun.
    You can make or buy lines and I can help you with bait and a quick How To.

Usually there is someone local who you can pay to skin the animal then if you want you can have the hide tanned.

PM me with any questions.

Comment

I didn't know squat shine-ola about it. And neither did my wife. Bought a boat and just sent it!

We tagged both of ours. There has been a few here that have done it. Between us and the biologist I think you'll be ok.

By far the most excelerating hunt I've ever done. And I'll do it again. Just hope it dont take 8 years to draw again

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

You can also do stand by hunts if you don't get drawn, I haven't checked into those in a few years but used to, you could call the office of the WMA and they would tell you how many spots were open in the coming days and it was first come first serve.

It may be different now.

Comment

It's fairly easy to do. Apply if you get drawn contact me or any of the other guys who have offered to help. We will get you set up to have a fun and exciting hunt.

Comment

Thanks guys. I was more curious than anything about how it was done. My boat would not work at all for it and I just wondered how it was done. I think I’ll start putting him in for the youth hunts and see what happens.

Comment

I’ve applied for myself and my wife and I don’t have a boat.

I did get a gator years ago with a guide and didn’t we didn’t use one. We had access from shore where we baited a stick that hung over the water high enough where the little gators couldn’t reach and tied off to a tree. Came back the next day and pulled him in fairly easily after a long night of him fighting the rope. I figured if I got lucky I could buy a boat if need be... or borrow one. I will start putting my son in when he’s old enough.

Good thread. Thanks.

Comment

In my experience on jd Murphy and james daughtrey, you'll want a boat. Unless you draw youth. The guys running Jd use theirs if needed on youths. Daughtry seems better by boat but the guy on that wma is pretty lazy.

I'd be willing to let you borrow mine if yall draw

Comment

Originally posted by Cantcatch5 View Post
                  Thanks guys. I was more curious than anything about how it was done. My boat would not work at all for it and I just wondered how it was done. I think I’ll start putting him in for the youth hunts and see what happens.
                  When I hunted JD , there was a guy who brought a large pontoon boat and his group all harvested good gators 8-foot +

Comment

I have a 21’ Triton bass boat. Big heavy and fully carpeted.

Comment

Drew the Daughtrey for gator , about to start learning , any advice tips ,, 3 in our group. Going to have a 14 foot flat bottom with 25hp . Is putting near headquarters good they may assignment spots ,,IDK. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Graywolf62 View Post
                        Drew the Daughtrey for gator , about to start learning , any advice tips ,, 3 in our group. Going to have a 14 foot flat bottom with 25hp . Is putting near headquarters good they may assignment spots ,,IDK. Thanks
                        The ramp by the office is great. The biologist is a twerp

Comment

Working...
                        X