Garand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Garand

Anyone have one? Never been interested in them but I saw one that just kind of grabbed my eye. Been reading up on them and think I might pick one up. I understand you shouldn’t shoot full power ammo in them but I reload so no biggie.

My uncle has one that has not been a whole lot of fun. He had difficulty with several parts then couldn’t get the thing to go back together, and when he finally did it shot like crap. He still has it but bought a carbine and likes it much better.

Kinda feel like I need to rescue one of these Garands and give it a loving appreciative home before they aren’t available anymore.

Cmp

Comment

southeasttexas.com has one for sale.

Comment

Yep I have 2 of them.
        They are a hoot to shoot.
        44-47 grs of H4895 and a 168 are your friend.
        Also, CCI 34 primers.
        The firing pin protrudes through the bolt a bit (normal)
        Anything other than CCI34s you run the risk of it slam firing when it goes into battery from what I have been told/read.

M2 Ball ammo was loaded with 150 gr bullet.

Comment

Originally posted by HTDUCK View Post
          Yep I have 2 of them.
          They are a hoot to shoot.
          44-47 grs of H4895 and a 168 are your friend.
          Also, CCI 34 primers.
          The firing pin protrudes through the bolt a bit (normal)
          Anything other than CCI34s you run the risk of it slam firing when it goes into battery from what I have been told/read.

M2 Ball ammo was loaded with 150 gr bullet.
          I’ve never experienced any problem with primers; I load just about any variety.

Can’t hurt to be on the safe side though.

Comment

I have one and love it. It's pretty much a safe queen now but I use to shoot it every once in a while in local military matches.

Comment

They are fun to shoot and most likely there is a club nearby you that hosts cmp matches. The guys who shoot those matches are a wealth of knowledge once you get to know them.

If you are going to get a Garand I suggest you go all in and get a Rockola or an International Harvester.

Comment

Working...
              X