Shooting Moving Target

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting Moving Target

Is this a good formula for calculating the lead for a prs style moving target?

1. Using rifle reticle, mil the mover from end to end.
    2. Time the mover from end to end.
    3. Mil/time = mils per second
    4. Mils per second X time of flight = lead
    5. Dial wind and hold lead

I have a match this weekend and we will be shooting a mover on one of the stages.

you are way over thinking it.
    you won't have time to dial in for lead.
    you may or may not be given elevation and will need to dial up if its beyond your MPBRZ
    biggest advice i can give pull the your zoom out far enough to watch miss splash so you can correct for following shot.
    DON'T OVER THINK IT!

Comment

Originally posted by Zen Archery View Post
      you are way over thinking it.
      you won't have time to dial in for lead.
      you may or may not be given elevation and will need to dial up if its beyond your MPBRZ
      biggest advice i can give pull the your zoom out far enough to watch miss splash so you can correct for following shot.
      DON'T OVER THINK IT!
      I'm not dialing for lead, I'm dialing for wind and holding for lead. This will be a steady moving target, moving at an unknown speed, at a known distance, moving right to left then left to right. I will have time to measure the mover from end to end and time how long it takes to travel that distance before my turn to shoot comes up. I am not worried about the elevation, my dope is correct on that.

Comment

Originally posted by SOLID EAGLE View Post
        I'm not dialing for lead, I'm dialing for wind and holding for lead. This will be a steady moving target, moving at an unknown speed, at a known distance, moving right to left then left to right. I will have time to measure the mover from end to end and time how long it takes to travel that distance before my turn to shoot comes up. I am not worried about the elevation, my dope is correct on that.
        Post a video, good or bad. Sounds really interesting, do you know the distance yet? I guess if you knew the speed of the mover you could dial for that too, that is what they do in bianchi cup. I know it is different, but I would think the principal would still apply. Good luck

Comment

Just reread and saw unknown speed

Comment

The reason you would hold for lead is the target is moving left to right and then right to left, on a track. We will have 1 min 45 sec to shoot 10 times.

Like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAdEyXbFpcw

Comment

I've never used this feature but the Strelok Pro Ap has a moving target calculator. You'd be guessing on speed so I dont know if it would work or not?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by crash8005 View Post
                I've never used this feature but the Strelok Pro Ap has a moving target calculator. You'd be guessing on speed so I dont know if it would work or not?

The more I think about it...if you know distance, why cant you plug info into Ap and get a speed dope cart based on your mil measurement during your observation period? 1 measurement per MPH.

Hopefully I explained that correctly.

Comment

According to the video it is a 5 mph max, so at least it narrows it down a little haha.

But really, get a video, that is pretty cool!

Comment

on hogs moving left to right when i see them enter left side of the scope pull the trigger..same thing right to left..but admittedly..its not a coke can .

Comment

That’s pretty much how we did it at FTW. Didn’t have to dial for wind as it was dead still that day. We were at 300 though, and if anyone can figure out how to swing smoothly from the prone position let me know. I never could get the hang of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Ag 96 View Post
                        That’s pretty much how we did it at FTW. Didn’t have to dial for wind as it was dead still that day. We were at 300 though, and if anyone can figure out how to swing smoothly from the prone position let me know. I never could get the hang of that.
                        I know what you mean. I've done it once before and had trouble tracking smoothly. After it was done I remembered I didn't loosen the rotator knob on my bipod. That would have helped.

That time I asked someone in our group what he thought the lead should be. He was correct at 1.5 mil. I just wanted to know how to do it for myself.

Comment

I would dial wind and elevation to take it out of variable as long as it isn’t gusty. Then look up time of flight and view targets movement in this time frame. I prefer to trap movers and squeeze off when target moves across my reticle. Most movers seem to be a mil and a half hold for a walking speed.

Comment

This is pretty simple and most of your shooting apps will give you the info you need. All you have to do is key in the speed. For most movers on tracks, the speed is between 2.5-3.5 MPH......for most 6mm and 6.5mm rifles shooting the "common" bullets this comes out to be between 1mil (fast 6mm) and 1.5 mil for most 6.5's.....PLUS your wind going both directions....It will be different right to left then left to right depending on wind direction. This is why you cant just dial the wind for both directions. Your mover will be moving with the wind one way and against the wind the other way. If you have a 10mph at 9 o'clock your wind hold for the mover going left to right will be different than it is going right to left.

I do not like to trap movers. I prefer to swing on them. Here is a very simple way to transition back and forth smoothly. Get you a small piece of cardboard just big enough for your bipod feet to both set on. (It will fit in your pack). This will make your directional transitions very smooth as your pivot point is the smooth piece of cardboard contacting the ground rather than your bipod legs. Give it a try at home and see what you think about it.
                            Last edited by Trevor73402; 11-08-2018, 12:09 AM.

Comment

That's a great idea about the cardboard. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
                              X