No announcement yet.

Nilgai gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Father used a 300 SAUM with 200gr Accubond.

Comment

Originally posted by droptine8850 View Post
      300 gr 375 H&H vs 165 gr 7 mag? Almost double the bullet weight and much lower velocity equals much better penetration
      Does that make them deader? Dead is pretty dead so far as I know.

I am going to switch from the Federal Premium with the 165 gr Sierra Game King to the Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range with the 168 Grain Nosler AccuBond LR.

I normally shoot arrows. I am no expert with guns.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
        Does that make them deader? Dead is pretty dead so far as I know.

I am going to switch from the Federal Premium with the 165 gr Sierra Game King to the Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range with the 168 Grain Nosler AccuBond LR.

I normally shoot arrows. I am no expert with guns.

There is a huge difference in the ways those two bullets will react when shot out of those two different rifles. I have never shot a Nilgai but I have shot a few big animals in Africa. when I am hunting Big tough animals I want big holes and as much possibility for and exit as possible. Yes shot placement is key to any kill but are you willing to pass on a shot just because the bull is not standing perfect broadside at 100 yards or do you want a proven BIG GAME cartridge that can cleanly take BIG GAME animal when you fudge a shot or the animal is in a not so desirable position. All the comments about taking them with any cartridge that will take a deer are correct (mostly), I for one am not willing to chance it. If you want to step up to the big leagues and hunt big animals use the correct cartridge/bullet combination and get after it.

Comment

Originally posted by RLUM View Post
          There is a huge difference in the ways those two bullets will react when shot out of those two different rifles. I have never shot a Nilgai but I have shot a few big animals in Africa. when I am hunting Big tough animals I want big holes and as much possibility for and exit as possible. Yes shot placement is key to any kill but are you willing to pass on a shot just because the bull is not standing perfect broadside at 100 yards or do you want a proven BIG GAME cartridge that can cleanly take BIG GAME animal when you fudge a shot or the animal is in a not so desirable position. All the comments about taking them with any cartridge that will take a deer are correct (mostly), I for one am not willing to chance it. If you want to step up to the big leagues and hunt big animals use the correct cartridge/bullet combination and get after it.
          I can't speak for the OP. I think he was looking to buy a new gun. I am not.

Comment

30-06 180gr Sierra Soft Points work well.
            But I could use a new 338 Win Mag.......

Comment

I'm currently building a .338 Federal for my next nilgai hunt. I have been on a number of nilgai hunts (still haven't personally shot one) and the one thing that I like about my AR10 is that I have an immediate backup shot if the first one is not perfect. They can take a hit.

Comment

I’ve been on hunts with family and seen bulls killed with a 308, 270, and 300wm. However, I personally think a 300wm or bigger is your best bet. Shot placement is really the name of the game here

Comment

Y'all may convince me to buy a dang 300 mag yet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I can't think of any reason why not...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m going in Feb. just purchase a Ruger African in 375 Ruger going to use Hornady dangerous game 300 he bonded expanding..... should be a good combo

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Stickers View Post
                        I’m going in Feb. just purchase a Ruger African in 375 Ruger going to use Hornady dangerous game 300 he bonded expanding..... should be a good combo

Really great cartridge. I have one in the Alaskan and my wife has the guide gun model, we both shoot the 300GR North Fork SS bonded and they are DEADLY.

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
                          I definitely think you need a new gun specific to Nilgai. It's obvious that none of your rifles will be adequate.
                          Absolutely this

Comment

300 RUM 200 grain Accubond

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I can't think of any reason why not...
                              You guys are a bad influence on me and my wife hates y'all.

Just made a deal on a 300 win mag out of our classifieds here on TBH. Dang Nilgais don't stand a chance now.

Comment

You're welcome, Mrs Tx_Kevin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X