Mercury Outboards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mercury Outboards

Looking at what to put on the back of my new bay boat build. I'm still up in the air on which boat to go with, trying to get that narrowed down now, but I know it will most likely be a 23-25 foot Cat hull boat. I've heard great things about the Mercury 300 Pro XS recently but don't want to rule anything else out just yet. I've read up on all the specs on the engines below but would like some feedback from guys who have had tried some or all of them. Looking for pros/cons to each and what you would go with if cost wasn't a factor. Assume that the boat is rated and can handle up to a 400.

300 Pro XS
    300 Racing
    350 Verado
    400 Verado
    400 Racing
    Last edited by breeds13; 05-07-2021, 07:30 AM.

If it was me it would be a different color motor. I worked on a marine unit aland government. We have got Mercury as low bid through 2 sets of twins on 2 boats. Both were trash. One set was 2017s and the other 2019s. Both are in shop more than on water so it keeps hours low. Have a set of 2009 Yamaha that have almost 20k hours on them.

Comment

I’m currently running a 2019 150 pro xs. It’s been a good motor so far, but it wasn’t what I wanted, but it’s what I got. Long story.

That being said my next boat will have a Yamaha SHO.

I just like everything about the Yamaha and Suzuki motors better than the Mercury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Personal experience with Suzuki. 2008 140 with a ton or hours. Only trouble was the tilt&trim module. Yamaha need the lift pumps replaced every couple of years.

Comment

Personally I’d choose Yamaha.

Comment

I’ve heard some positive reviews of the new 300xs but I don’t know anyone with a lot of hours on one personally.

Comment

I do believe the Yamahas are way back ordered right now. Just FYI

Comment

I have a 400R on a 24 Yellowfin and I love the motor. I had a 225 ProXS on a 24 Haynie before this one and it was too. They were still two strokes then. It was loud but ran great. Love my 400. If I built a new boat I would get a 450.

Comment

The Mercs are good motors. I really have not herd of any major issues with the Pro XS or Verado. For a cat that lighter Pro XS might be the right choice.

I really like Suzukis and Yamahas. I have no problem with them either. I've owned multiple Suzukis and Yamahas. I have a Verado now and I really like it so far. My buddies have been running Verados and Pro XS for awhile now and they have had very few issues. Buy what you like , they are all good.

Comment

I’ve ran a 250 Verado probably 3-5 days a week for fhe last couple years. It’s been a good motor. Heavy though. XS is lighter for sure and sounds cooler!!

Comment

The new Mercury's don't have alot of problems. Friends of mine have 2000 thousand hours no problems

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X