No announcement yet.

"OFFICIAL" Granger Hog Hunting Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hogs can be hunted year round with the appropriate Public Hunting permit. Hot weather is not the best for meat preservation. Getting the pig on ice as soon as humanly possible is the best idea. Plus it is not as fun to chase them around in the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by travisn321 View Post
      Hog hunting permit is good for 1 year from purchase......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Funny out of towner!

Comment

Anybody been out there lately?? Contemplating a trip soon and would love recent data!

Comment

Originally posted by jonny_thunder View Post
          Anybody been out there lately?? Contemplating a trip soon and would love recent data!

Grass is tall and snakes are out. Better to go fishing out there if you’re going to make the trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It has been my experience that the hogs keep the snake population in check. Even had one snake run from me as I walked along. Probably thought I was a pig.

Comment

Im officially discouraged.

Im an adult onset hunter. Began hunting at the age of 31 back in january. Decided my best bet for big game was hogs out at granger. Given my inexperience and proximity to year round hunting of invasive species on public land, granger seemed like a gold mine for a newbie to cut his teeth on.
              I've been going out at least twice a week for the past 5 months. Put in no less than 30 miles per unit.
              I see hog sign every time im out. See hogs at least 75 percent of the time.
              On 3 occassions I've been able to actually take a shot at a pig. Every shot was a broadside shot that was placed right in the vitals. Regardless of how well placed my shots seemed to be, i have yet to discover a single drop of blood.
              I've learned well that there are no hogs at granger. The ones that are there wear nikes. And that patience is not a virtue but a must have.
              After months of scouting, miles of hiking, and nearly $100 of archery equipment gone running off stuck in the hide of pigs, I'm starting to get fed up.
              I've tried walking slow, I've tried glassing, I've tried setting up timed feeders and tree stands. I've tried observing movements well after legal shooting light. I've basically devoted all my free time since January learning how to hunt granger pigs. I've read through the entirety of this thread.
              I still have no pork to show for it.
              My freezer is full of white bass, crappie, and catfish.
              It is starving for some red meat.
              Perhaps granger hates me for hunting with a crossbow.
              Maybe its cause i wear jeans on occassion.
              Seems hard to believe because i know other fellas have killed pigs with a crossbow while wearing jeans based on this same forum.
              At this point i could really use some pointers. Or a mentor. At least someone to show me what im doing wrong. I should be receiving a compound bow in the next week or so. Maybe that will relieve me of the bad crossbow karma ive built up.
              I know the snakes and ticks and weeds are bad right now but none of that is gonna stop me. If anyone else feels like trudging let me know. Ill be there regardless

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf View Post

Im an adult onset hunter. Began hunting at the age of 31 back in january. Decided my best bet for big game was hogs out at granger. Given my inexperience and proximity to year round hunting of invasive species on public land, granger seemed like a gold mine for a newbie to cut his teeth on.
                I've been going out at least twice a week for the past 5 months. Put in no less than 30 miles per unit....
                Welcome to the suck! Pigs are tough and Granger pigs are exceptionally tough. It sounds like you are doing everything right, except maybe hitting the vitals.

I suggest you bone up on a wild pigs anatomy, most people aim too high on wild pigs, aim lower and/or wait for a slightly quartering shot for the shortest blood trails.

I did the math once, and in our group (excluding Carnage) we averaged about one pig every 6 trips to Granger. Most will tell you that getting a shot at a pig at GRanger is like killing one someplace else, and killing one is like finding that giant whitetail on your lease.

Keep it up, learn the anatomy and you will get your pig.

Comment

Solo hunting at Granger is tough. Luck has a lot to do with it. Play the wind and hunt the escape cover. Even then they will usually bust out the other side of whatever cover you are stalking.
                  Glassing and stalking when you catch a hog out sunning itself, is super slow motion stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the encouragement and tips. After i botched my first shot I did some research and learned that i misjudged the vital placement. I got no explanation for my other 2 shots. Cant wait for the day i catch one sunning itself. Ive only been able to take a shot at ones bedding or foraging. Anyone heading out this weekend? Hoping to put some miles in on sunday weather permitting.

Comment

Also not sure i follow your math rat? But id be super happy with those odds! If i was killing a pig every 6th trip id have around a dozen pigs this year instead of 0. Sounds like quite the freezer!

Comment

I've been going out at least twice a week for the past 5 months. Put in no less than 30 miles per unit.
                        I see hog sign every time im out. See hogs at least 75 percent of the time.
                        On 3 occassions I've been able to actually take a shot at a pig. Every shot was a broadside shot that was placed right in the vitals. Regardless of how well placed my shots seemed to be, i have yet to discover a single drop of blood.
                        I've learned well that there are no hogs at granger. The ones that are there wear nikes. And that patience is not a virtue but a must have.
                        After months of scouting, miles of hiking, and nearly $100 of archery equipment gone running off stuck in the hide of pigs, I'm starting to get fed up.
                        I've tried walking slow, I've tried glassing, I've tried setting up timed feeders and tree stands. I've tried observing movements well after legal shooting light. I've basically devoted all my free time since January learning how to hunt granger pigs. I've read through the entirety of this thread.
                        I still have no pork to show for it.
                        My freezer is full of white bass, crappie, and catfish.
                        It is starving for some red meat.
                        Perhaps granger hates me for hunting with a crossbow.
                        Maybe its cause i wear jeans on occassion.
                        Seems hard to believe because i know other fellas have killed pigs with a crossbow while wearing jeans based on this same forum.
                        At this point i could really use some pointers. Or a mentor. At least someone to show me what im doing wrong. I should be receiving a compound bow in the next week or so. Maybe that will relieve me of the bad crossbow karma ive built up.
                        I know the snakes and ticks and weeds are bad right now but none of that is gonna stop me. If anyone else feels like trudging let me know. Ill be there regardless
                        Sound like you are Grangering right to me...

Keep at it man, the struggle makes it all worth it when you finally recover one... or so I'm told.

Comment

Hang in there Deaf! I am still yet to get my first Granger hog and have hunted out there a bunch of times. Keep at 'em!!

Comment

Tjanks for the kind words fellas. Hoping to back out again this evening. Anyone feel like keeping me company. Thinking about sore finger or willis depending on wind.

Comment

Tjanks for the kind words fellas. Hoping to back out again this evening. Anyone feel like keeping me company. Thinking about sore finger or willis depending on wind.
                              In this heat I don't think I could make myself hike to SoreFinger... Just sayin.

Comment

Ended up putting a few miles in at pecan grove. It was warm and still and i was sweating like a whore in church. Its a miracle i was able to sneak up on a sounder that was out of the thicket. They were bedded up in thistle and wildflowers and i had a great line of sight at 3 of them. I lined up on one that was small enough to haul out on my shoulder. As soon as i took the shot she turned. What should have been a vital shot ended up being a haunch shot. She ran off with a squeal and once again didnt leave me a single drop of blood to follow. Par for the course in my experience. Once again ive caused an animal to suffer to death in the woods rather than dying quickly and becoming table fare. This sucks. Maybe better luck tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                                X