Shoalwater 23' Cat vs. Haynie 24' Cat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
    I hear ya man. I haven't had a chance to ride in all of those boats but I have heard great things about all of them. Simmons and SCB are out of the questions for me to stay between $80K - $90K. The main reason I settled on Haynie and Shoalwater are simply due to the fact that all of the fishing I do is near Corpus so having Chris's and Waypoint right there is much more convenient. Agreed on the Dargel lol.

I understand on the service. I’m going to sell my ultra cat in the fall because it just doesn’t perform like I want and dealing with Ron Hoover makes me rather have another vasectomy.

I’m most likely going JH this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txheartshot View Post
      This. If I were buying today, I’d go Pescador Cat. I’ve fished off of the Pescador, numerous Shoalwater and Haynie cats, as well as SCB. Pescador is best bang for buck IMO.

This. I run an SCB and the Pescador is the closest thing to it for a lot less money. I was about to order one when I found my scb lightly used.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
        I’m not opposed to a Haynie 23 cat. I’ve never been on a 23 super cat so that may be an option. Only reason i was leaning towards a 24 because I’ve talked to people who have had both a 23 and 24 and they told me that the 24 drafts less, gets up shallower, rides smoother in rough stuff, and does not porpoise like the 23. Like i said, just what I’ve been told.
        I agree on all points made for the 24. Even though it's only a foot longer off the transom, it feels like a much larger boat. Very surprising to me how shallow such a heavy boat would actually float. I was never impressed with the hole shot but I'm spoiled running a totally different style boat. Yes the 23 will porpoise and believe the new super cat is even a little more sensitive. Every cat I've spent time on will porpoise.
        Last edited by Notaguide; 05-04-2021, 08:51 AM.

Comment

I don’t think you can get an el pescador in this price range unless it’s pretty much factory options only. We looked at them and the Mowdy c25 (great boats) and to get what we wanted we were knocking on 100 for both and that was after a lot of haggling and getting some Rock The Dock price specials.

Comment

I would go Haynie over shoalwater. It’s a smoother ride.

If I was buying today I would be looking at the JH 25’ outlaw or the 24’ Pescador.

Comment

Neither IMHO. Majek Reaper is a beast and skinny. Awesome boat. After that is the Majek Illusion. Quality boat builder like no other. Holds value better and performs flawlessly. Congrats either way.

Comment

The Majek reaper is a RC24 hull with a Majek cap.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                  Neither IMHO. Majek Reaper is a beast and skinny. Awesome boat. After that is the Majek Illusion. Quality boat builder like no other. Holds value better and performs flawlessly. Congrats either way.

I've been on quite a few Majek Illusions, before the M2. Wasn't a huge fan. Very wet and rough ride. M2 may be a different story, I've heard good things. What's the price point on the Reaper? I recall someone saying it was up near $100K. I've also heard a lot of great things about the JH Outlaw. Can't say I've ever been on one, but the only thing that kept me from looking into that one was the location/distance.

Comment

I can’t speak much for the cat hull.... but I run a 23’ Haynie Bigfoot and have been very pleased with Chris’s Marine from ordering to pickup. They have also fixed a couple small issues very timely. Always answer the phone and emails etc....I picked up mine in January of this year after a 7 month wait.

Comment

I run a 23' shoalwater... everything above is true. Haynie handles the rough stuff better and still gets stupid shallow. Shoalwater will run faster. Anything sub 6" and I stop measuring... both will run it.

Comment

Out of all these cat hulls y'all are referencing, which one handles rough water the best?

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post

I'd pass on the m2 and illusion over those 2 cat hulls . Have run both multiple times and yes they will run skinny as hell but they will beat your teeth out. Wouldn't mind taking a ride on the reaper though I've heard some good things about them.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                            Out of all these cat hulls y'all are referencing, which one handles rough water the best?
                            Out of the shoalwater and Haynie the haynie will handle rough water better. Little heavier little longer that being said I got a shoalwater over a haynie.

I havent ran many of the other ones in rough conditions so not sure on those

Comment

El Pescador

Comment

either one is fine. Just pay cash and roll on

Comment

Working...
                                X