• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoalwater 23' Cat vs. Haynie 24' Cat

I've narrowed it down to these two.

Shoalwater 23' Cat with a Mercury 300 from Waypoint Marine
    or
    Haynie 24' Cat with a Mercury 350or 400 from Chris's Marine

Which would you go with and why? Pros and Cons of each?

Plan on building new and placing order in August so that it's ready for Spring 2022.

I'm trying to stay between $80K - $90K. I've priced both of these boats the way I want it and have stayed in that range.

I'm a typical wade fisherman but not everyone that I fish with wades. My main goal for the boat is to get to my spots fast, run and get up skinny, eat chop and fish 4-6 people.

If you’re wanting a shoalwater and want it for spring of 22 you better order it now.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
      If you’re wanting a shoalwater and want it for spring of 22 you better order it now.
      Waypoint told me 7 months.

Comment

Haynie with the 350. Rode in this past summer that had a 300 Suzuki and it was nice. I pet that 350 would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by breeds13 View Post
          In March of 2020 they told me 12 weeks, that turned into 17 weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised to see that boat ready near the end of fall if ordered now. That being said, spending that kind of coin I wouldn’t rush the process of research, choosing options, and actually signing on the dotted line. Shoalwater is an awesome boat, I haven’t fished in the big hay or cat, only the 21ft. I don’t suppose you could go wrong with either but I chose shoalwater.

Comment

I wouldn’t hold my breath on 7 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both boats are great. I run a 2015 23 Haynie cat. You don’t get much more boat going with the 24 vs 23 cat on the Haynie. Key slot transom on the 24 vs flat transom on the 23. Chris will likely recommend the 23 over the 24 for performance reasons.

The Haynie is gonna be heavier but feel more solid in the chop. The shoal water is gonna be lighter and faster but doesn’t feel as solid in the chop.

350 or 400 on a haynie23 will be a boss!

Comment

I'm over 6 months waiting on Waypoint. Good luck. I've been very disappointed with their communication, or lack of. I was told 4 months, 5 tops. At least they're being more honest now by saying 7.

Comment

For that money or any boat really, I'm riding one before I drop a deposit

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hayniecat23 View Post
                    Both boats are great. I run a 2015 23 Haynie cat. You don’t get much more boat going with the 24 vs 23 cat on the Haynie. Key slot transom on the 24 vs flat transom on the 23. Chris will likely recommend the 23 over the 24 for performance reasons.

The Haynie is gonna be heavier but feel more solid in the chop. The shoal water is gonna be lighter and faster but doesn’t feel as solid in the chop.

350 or 400 on a haynie23 will be a boss!
                    I’ve fished both, this description above is pretty much how I’d describe them. Can’t go wrong with either, pick the one that feels the best to you. Have you ridden in them both with the power you’re wanting?

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                      For that money or any boat really, I'm riding one before I drop a deposit

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been around them all quite a bit. I have two friends with 23 Shoalwaters and a couple of friends who have recently had Haynie cats but are now in Magnums. Just my opinion but of the two brands I think you are skipping over the best cat hull. I'd go 23 Haynie Cat with a 300 Pro XS. That would be my pick. Rides better, runs better than the 24, has a higher transom than the Shoalwater so you don't have water coming over the back in open water, drafts about the same as the 24 and the Shoalwater. To me the Haynie Cat is a better boat. The Shoalwater does look sleeker but I am more interested in how they fish than how they look.

You are probably looking at 12 months to get a Haynie if you order now.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                          I've been around them all quite a bit. I have two friends with 23 Shoalwaters and a couple of friends who have recently had Haynie cats but are now in Magnums. Just my opinion but of the two brands I think you are skipping over the best cat hull. I'd go 23 Haynie Cat with a 300 Pro XS. That would be my pick. Rides better, runs better than the 24, has a higher transom than the Shoalwater so you don't have water coming over the back in open water, drafts about the same as the 24 and the Shoalwater. To me the Haynie Cat is a better boat. The Shoalwater does look sleeker but I am more interested in how they fish than how they look.

You are probably looking at 12 months to get a Haynie if you order now.
                          Appreciate the info. Last I talked to Chris's Marine, not too long ago, it was 7-8 months but I guess that could have changed.

Comment

Appreciate the info. Last I talked to Chris's Marine, not too long ago, it was 7-8 months but I guess that could have changed.
                            Have you looked at the el pescador cat?

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rvd View Post
                              I’ve fished both, this description above is pretty much how I’d describe them. Can’t go wrong with either, pick the one that feels the best to you. Have you ridden in them both with the power you’re wanting?
                              I've fished out of a Shoalwater 23 Cat with a Suzuki 300 and out of an older model Haynie 23 Cat with a Mercury 250. Haven't been in a Haynie 23 or 24 with a 300/350/400.

Comment

Working...
                              X