That’s all folks!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That’s all folks!!

37 years, 3 months and 23 days later, my law enforcement career comes to an end at 7:30am this morning... 5-03-2021.

It has been one heck of a ride.

14 years on patrol, 3 years in detectives, almost 21 years as a supervisor with 16 as sergeant and 4 as a lieutenant.

Highway interdiction, assignment attached to US Customs, 10 years as FTO, 10 years on SWAT (8 as team leader), 3 years in command of the Street Crimes/gang unit, 15 years in command of Honor Guard, 2 years and only commander of Drone Unit, 2 years in command of SRT/Special Response Team, in charge of Police Explorers, 30 years as firearms instructor (FBI firearms instructor school), 31 years instructor at regional police academy, over 50 commendations and medals and..... all of that and $8 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbuck’s.

I saw this accidentally on another forum a few days ago but it seems fitting. An officer was going on his last patrol in a couple of days and asked what it would be like trying to sleep before his last shift, like me, probably full of appreciation.... absolutely looking forward to the day and dreading it like a death in the family. Here is the response that another officer posted....

Author unknown;
    When Cops Retire
    When a good cop leaves the 'job' and retires to a better life, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know.

We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times. We know in the law enforcement life there is a fellowship which lasts long after the uniforms are hung up in the back of the closet . We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.

These are the burdens of the job. You will still look at people suspiciously, still see what others do not see or choose to ignore and always will look at the rest of the law enforcement world with a respect for what they do; only grown in a lifetime of knowing. Never think for one moment you are escaping from that life. You are only escaping the 'job' and merely being allowed to leave 'active' duty.

So what I wish for you is that whenever you ease into retirement, in your heart you never forget for one moment that 'Blessed are the Peacemakers for they shall be called children of God,' and you are still a member of the greatest fraternity the world has ever known.

There are those that think they understand. And then . . . There are cops.

Next? Hunting, fishing, golf, traveling and whatever else I can find to occupy my time. Maybe even Bownanza finally....

Congratulations and thank you for your service!

Comment

Congrats!! Thank you for your service.

I was listening to some radio traffic over the weekend. It's amazing how much border area state and local LEOs are doing on the human smuggling side. There were a bunch of FTYs in what sounded like stolen vehicles.

Comment

Congratulations and enjoy your well-deserved retirement.

Comment

Congratulations and thank you for your service. My son is on yr 2 of that journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats and Thank You

Comment

Congrats. Happy for ya. I got 8 more years to go

Comment

Congrats. Enjoy. You will feel younger and everyday is Saturday

Comment

Congratulations and Thank You for your service!

Comment

Thank you for your service and congratulations on your retirement... You earned it..

That sure is a lot of experience you are taking with you.. I bet you have a few stories!!!
                    Last edited by PondPopper; 05-03-2021, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Congrats, enjoy your retirement. I appreciate your service!

Comment

Congrats Lt.

Add me to the jealous crew. I got another 10 if I can make it that far. I hope in another 30 years there will be people that can say they did 30. Although I think it will be rare

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Congrats and enjoy your well-earned retirement!

Comment

Congrats!!! I have 7 years before I'm eligible and every day I wonder if I'll hang it up or if I'll stay. With the way things are looking I'll probably go. I think you timed it just right!! Have fun!!

Comment

Thank you Sir and a big congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X