No announcement yet.

I think our insurance company may be having a call with our GC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duct tape and some baling wire (get the thicker stuff) and you'll be good to go!

Glad everyone is OK.

Comment

Originally posted by Jkkj View Post
      How many feet did he span with those c purlin rafters, 25ā€™? And are they 8ā€?
      Those are just U shaped not the bent Cā€™s.

Comment

What was used for columns is suspect too...

No way in hades that engineering can be backed up by a metal building material supply house.

If that builder has insurance, yours will file on it...that’s a dang nightmare.

Snow load and drift don’t effect metal like wood...what a mess

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
          We knew he didnā€™t build it per code but didnā€™t make a big stink about it. Building is only 2 years old...

He tried to make beams out of 25ft long receiver channel and didnā€™t weld them together. Just ran a few screws in them. They buckled and down she came. Just glad our curing oven held it up or weā€™d be having some funerals. Sounded like a bomb when it collapsed on us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Some questions need to be answered. You stated you were aware that it wasnā€™t built to code yet someone signed off on it.Was the building bid/sold with an understanding that it was engineered? Pretty easy to see that itā€™s not built with a stamp on the print.

Not a structural engineer but I know enough to know that a receiver channel is not a structural WF beam made to hold that much weight with a span like that. Same can be said with the little square tubing columns.

Comment

I... on an online public forum. Would erase "We knew he didn't build to code......"

Comment

I think our insurance company may be having a call with our GC

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
              I... on an online public forum. Would erase "We knew he didn't build to code......"
              Yup. Lol

I would say if I were an insurance company I wouldnā€™t pay a claim on that, but it probably shouldā€™ve never been approved for coverage in the first place. I guess the average agent doesnā€™t know what theyā€™re looking at though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
              Last edited by Roscoe; 02-18-2021, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                Exactly what I was gonna type lmao. Sorry OP, you are fighting an uphill battle

Comment

I'm local, who built it?

Comment

Man anyone else want to dogpile this poor guy? I swear some of you guys are just looking for an opportunity to out @$$hole each other.

Comment

So glad no one was hurt brother. All anyone needs today is another problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
                        Man anyone else want to dogpile this poor guy? I swear some of you guys are just looking for an opportunity to out @$$hole each other.
                        I do not see anyone dog piling the guy. I see lots of people trying to tell him the truth so he will be prepared for what will be coming next. Sometimes the truth hurts but it still needs to be said.

-john

Comment

Good luck- just be glad no injuries or worse. Materials can always be replaced

Comment

Right

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Deleted. As long as I know it was funny it is. :-)

Good luck on getting everything rebuilt. Glad nobody was killed.

Comment

He paid in full for subpar work. My guess is he went with the guy who was 30% cheaper and unfortunately probably doesn't have insurance. He unfortunately will have little recourse from everything he told us. Thus you get what you pay for. I have sadly seen so much corner cutting on this site in regards to construction I'd be willing to bet the OP is not the only one in this boat.

Comment

Working...
                                X