Hill Country Deer vs. South Texas Deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
    You do realize there is a whole lot of ground in South Texas that sucks right? There are far more ranches in South Texas NOT growing 170" deer than are.

I’m aware and I’m not targeting one particular part of South Texas just as I’m not targeting one particular part of the Hill Country..
    I think we all know what I’m getting at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As everyone has said, South Texas has some the best Forbs and Shrubs in Texas which produce annually about 15-18% crude protein. Most are also very drought tolerant. The problem with the Hill Country which I haven’t seen posted is posted is Cedar. Cedar is horrible if not kept in check. Sucks the water out the soil and basically kills everything. Harper Texas is a prime example. That road from Fredericksburg to I10 is loaded with cedar and the deer along that road look like baby goats. Cedar has basically canopied the whole land. Well, just something to think about. Get rid of cedar, and the grass and weeds will start to show. In return, will saturate the soils and fill the water sheds. Lots of dry creeks will start running again.

Comment

Here's a pretty good video on the subject

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Grant2 View Post
          If you let them mature yes sir.
          This is just incorrect.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Does anyone have pics of a 200+lb hill country deer. Never would have thought they got that heavy in that area. Not saying they won’t but be nice to see one. Live or dead. Also letting every deer reach maturity doesn’t guarantee big deer. Some times it just guarantees a big fat 7 yr old cull that’s just another mouth to feed.

Comment

The wide buck weighed 180lb and the spike weighed right at 200lb, low fence hill country but we do feed a lot of protein and let the bucks peak.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m not sure why I’m like a moth to a flame with this thread. So much bad information. Deer density is the #1 reason Hill Country deer have lower body weights and less quality antlers compared to other parts of the state. Deer density and overstocking by goats and sheep over the last 100 years is why most ranches are devoid of primary and secondary choice shrubs. This is why ranches who keep their deer numbers in check, haven’t overgrazed/browsed their forage, and only shoot mature bucks grow monster deer every year. Deer density is so bad, that a high fence to keep deer OUT is one of the best practices to grow large bucks in this region. It is why these ranches, with no improved genetics or DMP, can grow 170”+ deer regularly. Too many hunters, too many young bucks being shot, and too many animals fighting over the now limited resources have created a major problem. The good thing is now a lot of people are realizing this, and the Hill Country is growing some great bucks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Coastal Ducks View Post
                  You do realize there is a whole lot of ground in South Texas that sucks right? There are far more ranches in South Texas NOT growing 170" deer than are.
                  That depends on what you are calling South Texas. The brush country south of San Antonio does not suck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    Our south Texas deer are dumb till they hit 5 or so. After that, good luck.
                    Amen... can we throw those Mexico deer in this group as well? Seems when they hit 6 they're a completely new animal.

BUT we have some Mexico deer so dumb I've shot management deer out of my truck with my bow. I've literally stepped out and shanked wild free range deer by hunting out of my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                      The wide buck weighed 180lb and the spike weighed right at 200lb, low fence hill country but we do feed a lot of protein and let the bucks peak.

Can’t see the pics but if your getting them you guys must be doing something right. The heaviest buck I’ve taken in the hill country was a 6 yr old ten that went 135 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                        Amen... can we throw those Mexico deer in this group as well? Seems when they hit 6 they're a completely new animal.

BUT we have some Mexico deer so dumb I've shot management deer out of my truck with my bow. I've literally stepped out and shanked wild free range deer by hunting out of my truck.

Trans pecos deer get 5 and they become a aberration.

Comment

Hopefully these load correctly

Comment

Originally posted by TXhoghunter94 View Post
                            Hopefully these load correctly

Still don’t believe you. Haha just kidding.
                            Which part of the Hill Country are those fat things from?

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                              Still don’t believe you. Haha just kidding.
                              Which part of the Hill Country are those fat things from?

We are in llano, we feed a ton of protein and stay on top of our deer numbers

Comment

Originally posted by TalonErickson7 View Post
                                So you think you could have 5,000 acres in South Texas and 5,000 acres in the Hill Country and produce the same quality of deer on each place?

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                                No way. Go look at Los Cazadores low fence. All over 200” Webb, LaSalle, Dimmit. I bet there wasn’t one low fence 200” deer taken anywhere in the hill country.
                                Yes absolutely with the same genetics.

There are 200” deer killed every year in the hill country.

Comment

Working...
                                X