No announcement yet.

2020/2021 east texas hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seen one lone 3pt yesterday evening. And seen 2 unexpected doe this evening. Nothing following and they were calm. Group of hogs finally wondered into thicket and Lola dropped the biggest

Comment

[QUOTE=Chew;15252939]My son Josh (ChewJr on TBH) got a nice one at our little lease in Polk County. Mr. Main Beams.

Congratulations to ChewJr!

Comment

Next few days should be great. Looks like Thanksgiving weekend might shape up to be something special.

Had a doe at 5 yards this morning. Was sitting in my climber overlooking my feeder pen & the winds started gusting 30+ mph. Looked up and apparently Hurricane Laura uprooted a 80+ foot pine tree. I was directly underneath where it will eventually fall. So I made the decision at about 7 AM to climb down & go hunt a trail about 50 yards from my pen. It wasn’t 10 minutes after I got situated, a doe came straight down the trail, 50,40,30,20,10,5..... she never even knew I was leaned up against that pine tree 5 yards away.

Thought she would possibly have a buck on her trail checking her out. Stood there until 10:30 before I made the decision to call it.

Had two deer cruise by me Saturday morning but couldn’t get a look to tell what they were. Also had two gobblers come in Saturday AM about 9:45. One of them had a 7” beard. I didn’t get a look at the other but the body size was 2-3 times of the one with the 7” beard so I imagine it was something special. Another great weekend in the books. Headed west next week for 7 days, then back at it in the ETX woods for December-February.

Comment

Yesterday was hot as all get-outs but the deer were moving great all day long. Front comes through, it’s nice and cool today, and the movement shut down after 9:30. It was a beautiful day but not much good for hunting.

Looking forward to being out in the much cooler temps in the morning though.

Comment

Originally posted by BW96 View Post
            Well my wife passed that first buck Friday evening. Even though he's plenty old he just "wasn't her buck". Lol I told her she was crazy and just enjoyed videoing him dog doe around. We watched him for over an hour.

Yesterday evening we had deer everywhere when her buck stepped out pushing doe. The sun had her all jacked up so he came in and out 3 times before she could see through the scope good enough. It was a great hunt. I thoroughly enjoy hunting with her even if she doesn't do it much.
            Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
            Wow, congrats to her. That is a nice one.

Some nice stuff hitting the ground this weekend.

J

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexas88 View Post
              Anyone headed to the pines starting tomorrow during this "cool" front? I'll be there tomorrow afternoon through probably Thursday.
              Yup. Going to be heading to Houston county late morning until Thursday, or until I put down my one target. lol

Should be some nice weather. Much better than last week. That was not fun.

And I dont know if the rain helped ruin the acorns or if the crop was that small and they cleaned them up already, but just yesterday my cell cam in my feeder pen starting blowing up with deer pics.

J

Comment

Sure wish I could hunt this week. Seeing lots of daylight activity
                Attached Files

Comment

Here's a 7pt I caught last weekend in Cherokee county:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1557.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	24637616
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1558.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	141.9 KB
ID:	24637617

Stu

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
                    Yup. Going to be heading to Houston county late morning until Thursday, or until I put down my one target. lol

Should be some nice weather. Much better than last week. That was not fun.

And I dont know if the rain helped ruin the acorns or if the crop was that small and they cleaned them up already, but just yesterday my cell cam in my feeder pen starting blowing up with deer pics.

J
                    The rain (at least in my part of Hou county) was barely enough to tamp the dust. Its gonna take much more to ruin the crop. Im not sure what the deer did this weekend. I sat near a feeder looking for a doe saturday and sunday morning with very little traffic. The deer that did come by only ate for a few minutes. I had more deer hunting oak flats along the creeks. Even the pigs ate acorns saturday night and left corn alone

But my dad had deer in the fed pens on most of his hunts.

Comment

[QUOTE=Cottonfish;15253933]Here's a 7pt I caught last weekend in Cherokee county:

[ATTACH]1028283

Congratulations!
                      Last edited by Pstraw; 11-16-2020, 07:35 AM. Reason: .

Comment

Last 2 evenings have been good. Both bow kills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cottonfish View Post
                          Here's a 7pt I caught last weekend in Cherokee county:

[ATTACH]1028283[/ATTACH]
                          [ATTACH]1028284[/ATTACH]

Stu
                          Congrats on a good buck. Slug gun?

Comment

“Main Event” finally came back. Been there last several days... about 45-1hr after dark. I moved cameras and hope I don’t get him on them. If I do, I don’t know if he’s bow huntable,... but Lola don’t bowhunt.

Comment

Figured I post this guy since we've had all the AR threads.
                              I got him at 2.5 and 12"
                              Years past my nephew would have busted him already since he's been here twice.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Finally made it to the woods, just grabbed a random tree to sit for the first evening. One small doe so far.. San Augustine Co.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X