Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw for 6-8 December

Hey everyone, this is a first for me also. I drew for the 6-8th on first draw and look forward to seeing what this place holds. A lot of mixed reviews, but either way a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work any day. I will post my assigned location once I get it. Where is everyone staying locally for the weekend?

Comment

Originally posted by erikbeagle View Post
      Hey everyone, this is a first for me also. I drew for the 6-8th on first draw and look forward to seeing what this place holds. A lot of mixed reviews, but either way a bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work any day. I will post my assigned location once I get it. Where is everyone staying locally for the weekend?
      There are campsites across close to the headquarters. I didn't find any places to stay in Lago Vista. We stayed in Bertram. There is one motel there, reasonably new. If you stay in Bertram and draw unit 2 (closest to the headquarters), it is about a 20 minute drive. You can also stay in Marble Falls. As I recall, Bertram is not far from the northern hunt compartments.

Good Luck

Comment

I have a friend about an hour away, depending on what unit I may just stay there and drive in early.

Comment

I said unit 2 but it may have been a different number. It is the unit east of the headquarters

Comment

Originally posted by jaredmartin View Post
            I have a friend about an hour away, depending on what unit I may just stay there and drive in early.
            I found a place about 30 minutes away called the bungalows hotel and event center. Not a bad price 65 a night. Good luck to y'all!
            Last edited by erikbeagle; 10-02-2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

In for info. Son was drawn for 11/15-11/17.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

My boy just drew the youth hunt as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                  My boy just drew the youth hunt as well.
                  Congrats, will be nice to have a fellow tbh'er out there.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I called the Refuge manager today to ask what our compartment was...he said they wait on an accepted permit list from TPWD, then assign units.

We live in South Austin and my test range isn't far from BC. Should be easy to put in a weekend and couple of weekends scouting once units are decided.

We will most likely camp or get a room close by to keep from driving an hour from S.AtX

Comment

Wonder if we will know our compartment tomorrow. Friday was the deadline for 2nd draw.

Comment

Used one tag, gotta wait til Dec for the next.

I went ahead and slung an arrow into one near Fort Hood. Have to save a buck tag for the Dec hunt.
                        Attached Files

Comment

That'll do!

Comment

Congrats! Great deer. Hopefully we all will have that same luck at Blacones on the 6-8th!

Comment

Hopefully. I am getting restless waiting on the area assignment. I am ready to start planning my hunt.

Comment

I actually bought a small 10 acre tract near Fort Hood. This is my first year to have it, and it seems to have some nice deer on it. It is not much, and I still prefer hunting all over Texas, but it is nice to have a small place to take one or two a year off of.

Comment

Working...
                                X