Florida school shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    That would be over 1 school shooting per week. Of course 1 in a lifetime is way too many, but that source likely has an anti-gun agenda and is twisting the facts a bit.
    You are correct on the 1 a week stat. Although it does take into consideration shootings that take place on college campuses, as well as those that have occurred on a school campus when school was not in session.

Check out the link and see what you think

https://everytownresearch.org/school-shootings/#5532

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
      You are correct on the 1 a week stat.

The first one I clicked on was the one in Lubbock. It wasn't a school shooting. That was the punk that was arrested on campus at Tech and then shot the cop in the police station.

The 2nd one I clicked on looks like it may have been in Stephenville? Here's what it said:

"A student unintentionally fired his handgun inside of his dorm room, hitting the ceiling. No injuries were reported. The student was reportedly licensed to carry the firearm on campus."

Their definition of "school shooting" is pretty broad. Their headline and map looks very dramatic though.

Every Town For Gun Safety is a very anti-gun group. You definitely have to take everything they say with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

Safe Zones/gun free zones = bloodbath for the deranged, mentally ill or plain sadistic folks.
        Last edited by Chad C; 02-14-2018, 03:46 PM.

Comment

You are correct on the 1 a week stat. Although it does take into consideration shootings that take place on college campuses, as well as those that have occurred on a school campus when school was not in session.

You do realize this is Michael Bloomberg's gun control advocacy group, right? It's like checking out PETA's website for bowhunting news.

Comment

Originally posted by jer_james View Post
            Read on a shooting just the other day that said the shooter was a part of a forum where the kids were discussing all going to school the same day and shooting in their perspective cities.
            Yep, there is Columbine merchandise available out there as well as a game where you can be one of the 2 shooters and go through a school shooting kids.

Comment

Its the everybody gets a trophy, everyone is a winner, everyone is special mentality. Some kids discover they aren't as special as mom taught them and cant take it. I think the prescription pills kids are popping these days are a factor too.

Comment

A teacher at the school told the Miami Herald that Cruz, 19, had been identified as a potential threat to fellow students in the past.

“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” said math teacher Jim Gard, who said the former student suspected in the shootings had been in his class last year. “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.”

Gard says he believes the school administration had sent out an email warning teachers that the student had made threats against other in the past and that he should not be allowed on the campus with a backpack. Another student interviewed on the scene by Channel 7 said the student had guns at home.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...#storylink=cpy

Sounds like it's another known nutcase that wasn't dealt with in time.

Comment

I believe the link you posted "everytown" is a Bloomberg funded research body.
                  I wouldn't trust the air they breathe when it comes to facts about guns and shootings.

Comment

A teacher at the school told the Miami Herald that Cruz, 19, had been identified as a potential threat to fellow students in the past.

“We were told last year that he wasn’t allowed on campus with a backpack on him,” said math teacher Jim Gard, who said the former student suspected in the shootings had been in his class last year. “There were problems with him last year threatening students, and I guess he was asked to leave campus.”

Gard says he believes the school administration had sent out an email warning teachers that the student had made threats against other in the past and that he should not be allowed on the campus with a backpack. Another student interviewed on the scene by Channel 7 said the student had guns at home.

Sadly almost everyone of them is.

Comment

I like the idea of having a few teachers at each campus designated to carry but the scary thing about this scenario (fire alarm) is that it would not be helpful in this situation.

Comment

The watch list strikes again.

Comment

That would be over 1 school shooting per week. Of course 1 in a lifetime is way too many, but that source likely has an anti-gun agenda and is twisting the facts a bit.
                          Sadly, I don't know if there is an answer that will keep a truly evil/crazy person from carrying out an attack, but I have to think more armed school personnel would help. Be careful when you read headlines about the uptick in school shootings. there was a recent headline that said "74 school shootings since Newtown." When you look at the actual incidents, 7 were like this one today - a gunman at a school people at random. The other 67 that were classified as "school shootings" were more accurately described as shootings that took place at or near a school - suicides in the parking lot, disgruntled ex-husband killing a teacher. A fist fight that turned into a gun fight, etc.

One is two many of course but no need to exaggerate.

Comment

The shooter is rumored to be a former student whom was possibly flagged as a threat.

Comment

Where have we as a society gone wrong, that teenagers in a situation where there a lockdown at school find it appropriate to post pictures on their social media accounts during the event?
                              I can see calling 911 or calling your mom or dad, but to just be posting pictures and hashtagging?

Comment

The first one I clicked on was the one in Lubbock. It wasn't a school shooting. That was the punk that was arrested on campus at Tech and then shot the cop in the police station.

The 2nd one I clicked on looks like it may have been in Stephenville? Here's what it said:

"A student unintentionally fired his handgun inside of his dorm room, hitting the ceiling. No injuries were reported. The student was reportedly licensed to carry the firearm on campus."

Their definition of "school shooting" is pretty broad. Their headline and map looks very dramatic though.

Every Town For Gun Safety is a very anti-gun group. You definitely have to take everything they say with a huge grain of salt.
                                Yep, like mass shooting. A family murder suicide counts as a mass shooting as if it some deranged gunmen running around killing random people. The mainstream media runs wild with these stories

Comment

Working...
                                X