No announcement yet.

Alternatives to .243 for youth...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7-08 I'm actually about to buy one myself! Plenty of knock down power for deer

My little brother shoots a weatherby vanguard compact with very little recoil shooting 139 grain bullet, it has killed everything we have shot and we are shooting big south Texas whitetails

Comment

The 7-08 with the Hornady Whitetail loads leave a giant blood trail.

Comment

I've shot several deer with my .243 using the 100 grain federal Hi Shock and dropped them all. A lot of people have used the varmit cartridges on deer with poor results and lots of wounded deer . At one time there was a 122 grain on the market by Winchester but that was years ago , can't find them now.

Comment

257 Roberts

Comment

Another vote for 7-08

Comment

I agree with the 7mm-08. There are a lot of other suggestions on here as well that will work great, but I'm a fan of ammo that you can find fairly easily especially if you shoot often and don't hand reload.

Comment

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
                You could get the reduced recoil loads for 308. That's what my wife shoots. 125 grain bullet and kicks less than my nephews 243 did.
                /\ /\ This!

Comment

.308 is solid option... with a good stock and not buying a sporter weight gun it shouldn't beat him that bad. Or look into managed recoil...

7mm-08 is a GREAT option... I love that round, but if you need to be able to walmart your ammo and are willing to try .308 I think I'd go with that...

Comment

Another vote for the 'tirty-'tirty. They're just so fun to shoot.

Also, might consider 300 BLK if your son's interested in the AR route.

But, there's nothing wrong with that .243 in my opinion. He just needs some more practice with shooting at live targets to try and keep his nerves calm and his head in the game.

Comment

My next will be either 6.5x55 or 7x57. Love those two but for some reason (no funds) dont own either

Comment

sent you a pm

Comment

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
                          I think you should get him a 7-08....and I just happen to have one for sale.
                          What is it and how much. I don't need a youth model, he's big enough now to shoot a normal size gun.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazman View Post
                            Another vote for the 'tirty-'tirty. They're just so fun to shoot.

Also, might consider 300 BLK if your son's interested in the AR route.

But, there's nothing wrong with that .243 in my opinion. He just needs some more practice with shooting at live targets to try and keep his nerves calm and his head in the game.
                            I agree 100% just thinking out loud on this one.

Comment

Remington managed recoil loads are available for 9/08, .308 and .270
                              I bought my son a youth model 7/08 and he shot the managed recoil loads until he grew a little and could shoot the regulars. One deer rifle for a lifetime (with a new stock at some point).

Comment

When I was 10 my first two misses were with a .243, later in the season I killed my first deer with a 7mm08, almost identical kick. The .308 has sneaky power

Comment

Working...
                                X